Do you hold grudges or let things go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that I'm a person who holds a grudge. If a person acts like a jerk to me and has no intention of showing respect, then I write them off.

I've held grudges for decades, but only where they were, IMHO, suited. I'll forgive people I feel can be forgiven, I won't those who are unforgivable and will take advantage again. I forgive, but I never forget. Keeping a tally of behaviour; of misgivings helps me deal with people. Everybody is unique and that needs to be factored in. Some will wrong you because they are just really bad at making decisions, others because they are truly malicious. They are classified and handled accordingly.

I don't hold grudges. Waste of time and energy.

Anger is a normal reaction. But the key is how you deal with it. Carrying a grudge is wasting your life away. Get over your anger in a day or less.

A few years ago a father was mad at what his daughter said about him on Facebook. He took her laptop in backyard and shot it with his pistol.

The daughter and her life lessons are whats important here. She hopefully learned how NOT to handle anger that day.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
If a person acts like a jerk to me and has no intention of showing respect, then I write them off.

This is me verbatim. Plus I will hold a grudge forever. I'm not one to let things go.

Being Irish on both sides of my family it could be a tendency. Both my Grandfathers had a chip on their shoulder, and my Great Grandfather was said to have a chip on both shoulders. He had a habit of downing tools and walking off the job...my extra long CV could be a modern version of that. I tend to distance myself from conflict, I don't want to imflame any situation and will just walk away.

Yep, some jack wagon called the corporate office on me for something they could have easily found the answer to. I had a corporate lawyer call me to find out the truth...
smirk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I'm not going to hold a grudge. I didn't make the grudge, so I'm not going to hold it. If it's in my hands, I'll toss it straight in the trash can. The grudge can take care of itself. There's an old saying ... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again.

I know that's a saying in Texas. Probably in Tennessee too.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Donald
Facebook.

This is what is wrong with our world.

Not always true. Though it does help it make it easy to show true colors though...

It does tend to offer drama-but I have also seen the good side as well.

it's all in how it's used...

In my case, nearly dying twice has taught me not to take life too serious. If I were to pass tomorrow, I don't want anything hanging over me....

"Give away the stone. Let the oceans take and
Transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone. Let the waters kiss and
Transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go."

-Tool

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I used too. As I get older (40), LoL I realize life is too short.

Yeah..... through life, we all get a shaft up where the sun don't shine at different times.
Try to look on the bright side through it all.

"Never let someone else live rent-free in your mind"

Originally Posted By: Donald

The daughter and her life lessons are whats important here. She hopefully learned how NOT to handle anger that day.

quote-when-you-give-a-lesson-in-meanness-to-a-critter-or-a-person-don-t-be-surprised-if-they-will-rogers-106-1-0130.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I've held grudges for decades, but only where they were, IMHO, suited. I'll forgive people I feel can be forgiven, I won't those who are unforgivable and will take advantage again. I forgive, but I never forget. Keeping a tally of behaviour; of misgivings helps me deal with people. Everybody is unique and that needs to be factored in. Some will wrong you because they are just really bad at making decisions, others because they are truly malicious. They are classified and handled accordingly.

This is my opinion, too. Some things are not forgivable, others are. To each his own.

To forgive usually requires a certain level of maturity. We live in a very warped world, to some, forgiveness requires qualifications that really have nothing to do with one's willingness to forgive or not. As if a chip on a shoulder is a badge of honor. As we get older, we should become more easygoing, as life is too short.

Originally Posted By: ThankYouma
To forgive usually requires a certain level of maturity. We live in a very warped world, to some, forgiveness requires qualifications that really have nothing to do with one's willingness to forgive or not. As if a chip on a shoulder is a badge of honor. As we get older, we should become more easygoing, as life is too short.

I'm not so sure that to forgive takes maturity. Actually, the more I think of it...the less so that I would agree with you. While I would agree that having a "chip" isn't generally in ones best interest, situations do exist that it would be best to REMEMBER what an individual did so as to have caution and forethought when dealing with them. So the question is...did you REALLY forgive them while still know that this person is a lowlife...or are you just pretending to do so? I think many of us spend an entire life pretending or acting. In my opinion we do this to feel good (fake) about ourselves. When I used to attend church services I would see this phony attitude on display in droves. Folks would be on that Sunday best behavior...until they got off church property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back