Finally time to retire

March 31st or thereabouts. The time frame works for everyone. Still not sure how to come to terms with the unreal number of unused vacation weeks.

Currently have shingles and not feeling well. I'm at home trying to recover. Maybe I'll have some residual problems (post herpetic neuralgia), as the extensive Right hand side pain remains unchanged, despite the rash healing.
Take all the vacation time first then retire unless the pay out is better. Some places treat the pay out as a "bonus" and you get hit at a higher tax rate.

My job we can not carry vacation or sick. Use it or lose it. Sick time if not used does get paid out end of year but again at a bonus rate. In the end it all probably even out anyway as you can get more income. Others that work for me use their 10 days sick time so it gets taxed as regular paycheck.

Hope you feel better soon and enjoy the retirement. As my dad used to say retired = I was tired yesterday and I'm tired today BUT I can take a nap whenever I want. He retired at 57 and then worked on reading finance articles to share with us, email friends, plan and take trips until his health didn't allow it. That was 23 years worth but the last 2-3 were tough health wise.

My close friend/coworker retired at 62 and moved to FL. His house sale up here payed off his mortgage here and his home there. His pension payments cover all his other monthly expenses and then some. His SS covers almost all his play time and dinners out, his 401k is for all the extra's. He likes cooking healthy meals and then enjoying evenings by pool. He tries to figure out free time between his golfing with friends and trips with family.

Take all the vacation time first then retire unless the pay out is better. Some places treat the pay out as a "bonus" and you get hit at a higher tax rate.
The problem with that is I'd still be employed and the non stop emergencies would mean I'd be required to perform, and more empty promises. I'm not healthy enough anymore to deal with that.

The problem with that is I'd still be employed and the non stop emergencies would mean I'd be required to perform, and more empty promises. I'm not healthy enough anymore to deal with that.
Can't you use the accrued PTO as sick days to "address your health issues"? There is no legal way they can force you to perform if you are out due to medical/health issues. Pretty certain that HIPAA laws prohibit your employer from questioning your health concerns or to disclose specific medical details.

March 31st or thereabouts. The time frame works for everyone. Still not sure how to come to terms with the unreal number of unused vacation weeks.

Currently have shingles and not feeling well. I'm at home trying to recover. Maybe I'll have some residual problems (post herpetic neuralgia), as the extensive Right hand side pain remains unchanged, despite the rash healing.
They don't allow you to set your official retirement date numerous weeks out and you are on vacation, not at work those final weeks?

The problem with that is I'd still be employed and the non stop emergencies would mean I'd be required to perform, and more empty promises.

EDIT: You are saying that even on vacation, you are required to respond to workplace issues? That is crazy.

So you'll take the payout then...sounds like the better option.

Can't you use the accrued PTO as sick days to "address your health issues"? There is no legal way they can force you to perform if you are out due to medical/health issues. Pretty certain that HIPAA laws prohibit your employer from questioning your health concerns or to disclose specific medical details.
Don't know. At this point, shingles has knocked me down. Can't even ride in the F150, due to right side pain.

EDIT: You are saying that even on vacation, you are required to respond to workplace issues? That is crazy.
That has been the case all along, always with the promise of getting time off some other time.

In 2001, I was in Italy for a family vacation, got called back. Next vacation was 2018, Went to New Mexico to the national nuclear museum, and also was called back, with the promise of making it right. Never happened. Same with subsequent time off, always required to work. It's no wonder I'm suffering with shingles, I've been used up.

So you'll take the payout then...sounds like the better option.
No payout. Just leave and done.Sorry for not being clear. I'm currently home with shingles. One possible option is to lawyer up. Because I don't have a contract or even an employee policy handbook, and that there are just 2 of us in the flight department with 6 aircraft. I'd expect that to fail. Oh well, I was well paid.

That has been the case all along, always with the promise of getting time off some other time.

In 2001, I was in Italy for a family vacation, got called back. Next vacation was 2018, Went to New Mexico to the national nuclear museum, and also was called back, with the promise of making it right. Never happened. Same with subsequent time off, always required to work. It's no wonder I'm suffering with shingles, I've been used up.

I'm curious if you had the shingles vaccine.

Don't know. At this point, shingles has knocked me down. Can't even ride in the F150, due to right side pain.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

My mom also had lingering pain after the shingles cleared up.

No payout. Just leave and done.Sorry for not being clear. I'm currently home with shingles. One possible option is to lawyer up. Because I don't have a contract or even an employee policy handbook, and that there are just 2 of us in the flight department with 6 aircraft. I'd expect that to fail. Oh well, I was well paid.
WOW, Just WOW 😡 Your health is priority one and added stress is not good, so only you can judge whether the aggravation of getting paid fairly is worth it. You can ask a lawyer for free. It would be interesting to know if labor laws cover your situation.

Rest and get well soon.

That's a misconception about HIPPA . If he has Sick Leave or Medical Insurance benefits the employer has to know certain things in order to administrate those benefits .

Well, now have to add 60 more days to my anticipated peace out date thanks to the Social Security Administration. Seems when I filed my application, they asked for the month I wanted my benefits to start and I chose the month after I turn 62 (they said you can't pick the month you turn qualifying age). So I chose May and then I get a letter that says I will get my first check at the end of June. Huh? Seems that since they pay benefits the month following, I get May's benefits in June. Geez, ok. Now it's 49 more days of fighting crime and guarding the peace. Again, who's counting.

A short one paragraph explanation will be sufficient. It will come to you. I think that a two week or one month notice would be sufficient. Put it in letter form instead of email. Email is so impersonal.
I retired at 58. My father was ill and I was physically worn out at 31 years on the job.
Back it up with an email...some letters get ignored/misplaced

Well, now have to add 60 more days to my anticipated peace out date thanks to the Social Security Administration. Seems when I filed my application, they asked for the month I wanted my benefits to start and I chose the month after I turn 62 (they said you can't pick the month you turn qualifying age). So I chose May and then I get a letter that says I will get my first check at the end of June. Huh? Seems that since they pay benefits the month following, I get May's benefits in June. Geez, ok. Now it's 49 more days of fighting crime and guarding the peace. Again, who's counting.

Congratulations on upcoming retirement.

How many years were you in law enforcement ?

Back