Where do you grocery shop?

Costco, HEB, Trader Joe's, Walmart Neighbor Market. HEB is my favorite.

There's just the two of us at home. I have Costco' s, BJ's and Sams Club memberships and hardly ever use them. Costco is free membership - Sams cost us $30 and BJ membership cost us $20. We only use the BJ's member card for gasoline purchases.
We either grocery shop at Meijer, Kroger or Walmart.

I shop sales. It doesn't hurt my feelings to hit 2 different stores or even 3 to get me grubs.

I also clearance shop for meat. So when my freezer gets low, I take an extra long lunch on a slow night at work and hit the dozen or so stores within 5 miles of work. On another day, I'll hit the dozen stores within 5 miles of my house. Then I'll hit the stores in the town between the one I live in and the one my lady lives in and in her town (only 3 each)

It's worth it to me. I grind my own beef so no cut is off the table. On grind day, it all just goes though the grinder. I make sausage and bacon also, so it doesn't hurt my feelings if I walk into a store and they have a couple of pork bellies on clearance.

I probably have 30lbs of pork bellies that I gave ~2.99 lb for. Probably another 50 lbs of beef that I paid no more than 3.99 lb for. I will pay a little more for ribeye, but it's usually under $6/lb

Winco for most staples. Have to closely inspect some items because the stockers aren't aware of their box cutter blades.

20240401_114244_resized.jpg

Peach Yogurt :(

Raley's for meat; Walmart if I just happen to be there and need food.

Winco here is actually well stocked and not to bad really so sometimes we buy there. They have great prices bonus next to Home Depot

Also I should add WalMart. We have just a regular Walmart not a Super so only packaged stuff and dairy. They have some gourmet items

Both to my list above

Walmart for most everything. Piggly Wiggly and Johnsons Giant Foods for meats. Local chains I believe? We've recently had many Publix open up around my area and the price difference is astounding for a poor man like myself.

Trader Joes - I cannot for the life of me see the hype. It's all pre-packaged, processed foods. There is no meat market. Everything there is cryovac'ed or boxed. What in the CBH is the attraction? It's all no-name stuff that is 14 cents cheaper than the regular grocery stores.
+1 and I feel the same way about Whole Foods, I don't get the hype.

Winn-Dixie was pretty good too, but the location close to us closed and will re-open as a Publix.

Last edited:
Costco, Sam's and Aldi get most of my business. We have a large local drugstore and health care center about a mile from the house and I go to the drugstore for my beer and snack run's since it's close and the prices are fair.

I forgot about Trader Joe’s as my wife goes there. Imho slightly more expensive but good quality. Friendly staff. I don’t know about their pay but apparently ok benefits? We know a pre school exec director who quit and went to work there until she got a public school gig, for the benefits

+1 and I feel the same way about Whole Foods, I don't get the hype.

Winn-Dixie was pretty good too, but the location close to us closed and will re-open as a Publix.
TJ's has good produce, good milk products, decent cheeses and meats, great nut and dried fruit selection (not many else have), excellent frozen sections. Coffee is iffy as are some of the crackers, but mixed are some good ones.

Whole Foods has excellent produce, GREAT cheese selection, wide wide wide variety of organic products. Their branded Nesspresso pods are very good, and do go on sale. Plus Whole Foods gets a bad rap for prices, this shows people are ignorant and have not really shopped there, they do have some deals. Avoid their deli section though. Sandwiches no good.

Winco here is actually well stocked and not to bad really so sometimes we buy there. They have great prices bonus next to Home Depot

Also I should add WalMart. We have just a regular Walmart not a Super so only packaged stuff and dairy. They have some gourmet items

Both to my list above
Great prices that you save so you spend more next door at Hone depot :)

Sometimes inconveniences at least in my life led to spending less money. Our cheap grocery store is standalone (plaza a dump) and small because the owners cannot renovate with major upgrade in water system for fire. They are on well waster trying to get neighbor town to extend water/sewer lines half mile to serve them .

Whole Foods has excellent produce, GREAT cheese selection, wide wide wide variety of organic products. Their branded Nesspresso pods are very good, and do go on sale. Plus Whole Foods gets a bad rap for prices, this shows people are ignorant and have not really shopped there, they do have some deals. Avoid their deli section though. Sandwiches no good.
I'll give them another look. Yes, the cheese/deli selection is impressive. The location we go to, actually makes decent pizza, but they're stingy with the toppings and the sauce leaves a lot to be desired. Also, they certainly have a good selection of hot food, but I haven't tried anything more than the za.

I'll give them another look. Yes, the cheese/deli selection is impressive. The location we go to, actually makes decent pizza, but they're stingy with the toppings and the sauce leaves a lot to be desired. Also, they certainly have a good selection of hot food, but I haven't tried anything more than the za.
Never tried the pizza. Hmmm didn't look great......might....

Tried three different locations for sammiches. Admittedly 3 different types, but none were even close to correct and good.

We have purchased other cooked items........not terrible.

I remember a few years back when I was working (ok must have been 5 years back or so, pre-COVID even) I went to the store near Microsoft around 2 PM late lunch coming back to work from another location - that deli section was RAIDED, PILLAGED, RAZED, DONE. I guess the software clowns like the chow!!

Last edited:
Never tried the pizza. Hmmm didn't look great......might....

Tried three different locations for sammiches. Admittedly 3 different types, but none were even close to correct and good.

We have purchased other cooked items........not terrible.

I remember a few years back when I was working (ok must have been 5 years back or so, pre-COVID even. I went to the store near Microsoft around 2 PM (late lunch coming back to work from another location) - that deli section was RAIDED, PILLAGED, RAZED, DONE. I guess the software clowns like the chow!!
Publix seems to have the biggest lunch crowd near us, when it comes to grocery stores. Now that I think of it, whenever we're in NYS, I like Wegmans too for lunch, decent za and good deli selection. Olive Garden 😷

Back