Different specs for different markets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
wemay said:
Another plausible explanation is what's available on store shelves. Cafe regulated oils may not be as easy to find. I don't know, i live here not there.

I think you nailed it. I think the manufacturers look to what oil is available in the country they are selling their vehicles and pick the best/closest choice.

Except in locales where EPA requires them to make available and unequivocally recommend the exact oil that they used during the fuel economy tests for CAFE purposes.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
New Navara (2018) with both he new and the old...0W20 "recommended", bit a viscosity chart as well.

You're lucky, unlike the U.S. and Canada, to get the variable clearance, variable oil passage, no nooks and crannies version of engine. We're stuck with the fixed clearance, fixed oil passage, nooks and crannies version that relegates us to a single oil viscosity.

Ed

wemay said:
Another plausible explanation is what's available on store shelves. Cafe regulated oils may not be as easy to find. I don't know, i live here not there.

I think you nailed it. I think the manufacturers look to what oil is available in the country they are selling their vehicles and pick the best/closest choice.

Nope, if they can ship an entire CAR to a country, they can make sure that the "best" oil for it is there.

Oz has had 0W20 on the shelves for years and years when CATERHAM was stating that the oxcarts couldn't deliver it here. There's 0W16 on the car parts shelves...

Originally Posted By: edhackett
New Navara (2018) with both he new and the old...0W20 "recommended", bit a viscosity chart as well.

You're lucky, unlike the U.S. and Canada, to get the variable clearance, variable oil passage, no nooks and crannies version of engine. We're stuck with the fixed clearance, fixed oil passage, nooks and crannies version that relegates us to a single oil viscosity.

Ed

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

wemay said:

Nope, if they can ship an entire CAR to a country, they can make sure that the "best" oil for it is there.

Oz has had 0W20 on the shelves for years and years when CATERHAM was stating that the oxcarts couldn't deliver it here. There's 0W16 on the car parts shelves...

Oz maybe, but not Trinidad, Colombia, or Panama when i visited over the last few years. Each with a large % of Toyota and Honda on the roads. I've never seen an Xw20. But again, it matters little since Xw20 has been working just fine here in the 'States and Canada...even under the secret evil veil that is CAFE. As will a thicker oil in those same engines, nooks and crannies not withstanding.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The condescending labelling (which indirectly scares newer members into thinking its true) of thinner viscosity as:
"Thin as water"
"Swill"

...are becoming old, tired and ridiculous. As is, i might add, the assertion that you "MUST" use what's recommended on your oil cap.

Add to your list
"flow"
"startup wear"
"Cam phasors"
"pile of failed engines".
thumbsup2.gif

The condescending labelling (which indirectly scares newer members into thinking its true) of thinner viscosity as:
"Thin as water"
"Swill"

...are becoming old, tired and ridiculous. As is, i might add, the assertion that you "MUST" use what's recommended on your oil cap.

Add to your list
"flow"
"startup wear"
"Cam phasors"
"pile of failed engines".
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, just as ridiculous, tired and old. Each side digs in and devolves into Neanderthal bone throwing.

Originally Posted By: nap
Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're trying to evade the question again. It's not about commuting from Fairbanks to Mexico city (a very unlikely usage scenario, you must have good imagination). It's about operating the same engine for 10 years in Fairbanks vs. Mexico City.

Sure, but do you have data on that?

Have you read the thread? The “data” under question, as per the thread’s title, has already been produced as a manual exclusively recommending 0W20 for all climates from Alaska to Texas, except Puerto Rico.

Explain that in a credible fashion and we can conclude the thread.

I can explain it in a simple fashion that nobody can possibly misunderstand, even those who might live in a province the rest of Canada would love to see secede.
Ever been to the island?
Obviously not.
The fact is that in a number of trips to this lovely and inexpensive to visit Caribbean island, we've (me and my reluctant wife who couldn't care less about my browsing some Spanish labeled oil filters or spark plugs) ventured into many auto parts stores on our walks in San Juan.
Know what they all have in common?
None of them stock X-20 grades of oil.
If 0W-20 isn't recommended for the island, it's only because you can't get it outside of a dealer for $$$ and maybe not even there since nobody uses it.
Simple enough.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

The fact is that in a number of trips to this lovely and inexpensive to visit Caribbean island, we've (me and my reluctant wife who couldn't care less about my browsing some Spanish labeled oil filters or spark plugs) ventured into many auto parts stores on our walks in San Juan.

You must have missed AutoZone, the one on Avenue 65th stocks several brands of it.

You must have missed AutoZone, the one on Avenue 65th stocks several brands of it.

Toc

So doing a web search of all fourteen AZs in Puerto Rico, you found one that lists XW-20 motor oil?
How do I know that you only did a web search and have no personal knowledge or observations?
Well, the abbreviation ave translates to avenida in Spanish and not avenue as it would in English.
Nice try, but we all know that just because an online search shows that any given location has product in stock doesn't mean that's really the case.
Kind of proves my point.
Thanks for having done so in yet another thread.

You mean the thread where you confessed to be
Trolling.gif
, after denying LSPI for a few pages? Good one....

I confessed no such thing in any thread, although you had twisted yourself in knots trying to deny your original post in that thread. You then tried to say that I admitted to being a troll after I had asked that you back your absurd post up with some facts several times.
In the interest of fact checking, I looked up the Puerto Rican AZ that you claimed carried "several brands of it" in reference to my assertion that XW-20 grade oils were generally unavailable on the island.
Unless "several" means one to you, you misrepresented the results of your search.
This San Juan location carries exactly one brand of 0W-20, black bottle Edge and no 5W-20 grade oils at all.
I'll ask you again, as I have in other threads, who is the troll here?

I confessed no such thing in any thread, although you had twisted yourself in knots trying to deny your original post in that thread. You then tried to say that I admitted to being a troll after I had asked that you back your absurd post up with some facts several times.
In the interest of fact checking, I looked up the Puerto Rican AZ that you claimed carried "several brands of it" in reference to my assertion that XW-20 grade oils were generally unavailable on the island.
Unless "several" means one to you, you misrepresented the results of your search.
This San Juan location carries exactly one brand of 0W-20, black bottle Edge and no 5W-20 grade oils at all.
I'll ask you again, as I have in other threads, who is the troll here?

Obviously you, as anyone here can click on this link:

https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-transmission-fluid/engine-oil?filters=4294758383

and select the AVENUE 65TH store in San Juan, Puerto Rico to see both Castrol and Mobil 1 5W20 in stock.

Astute readers may just list all the oils available and notice some HM versions of 5W20 from Pennzoil and Valvoline too. Plus Castrol 0W20.

That generously accounts for "several brands" of xW20 as per my post.

By the way, how about YOU prove that you actually visited the island recently and found no such oil anywhere? As that was your initial claim.

As for your confession, let's remember it:

18.gif
Trolling.gif

Yes, you have been. [...]

Again though, the fact that different viscosity are recommended in different parts of the world just means that the vehicle runs fine on many said viscosity.

Slight correction: it means the vehicle CAN run fine on multiple viscosities given certain conditions. What those conditions are is the question, and the answer is likely different for different cars.

So observing that you had been beating a dead horse as well as trolling is somehow a confession on my part?
What alternate universe do you live in where up is down and left is right?
When you're wrong, man, you're wrong. When you get called on it, stop trying to pretend that you're somehow right.
Get over it and learn something from the experience.

Well either your level of comprehension is so alternate that you can’t tell a dialogue from a monologue. Or you just keep trolling against all evidence.

Speaking of which, let’s see proof of your trip to Puerto Rico and absence of xW20 grade there.

Well either your level of comprehension is so alternate that you can’t tell a dialogue from a monologue. Or you just keep trolling against all evidence.

Speaking of which, let’s see proof of your trip to Puerto Rico and absence of xW20 grade there.

Whatever man.
I can't take you too seriously.
Have a great weekend!

the same car:camry hybird 2018
the manul:us 0w16 only…japna 0w16.0w20.5w30…china 0w16.0w20.5w30.10w30.15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back