Different specs for different markets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
So my car is actually a good example of this.

In the US, Mazda insists on a conventional ILSAC-rated 5W-20 and nothing else. They prohibit synthetics and semi-synthetics in the strongest terms.

In Europe, they spec ACEA A5, and have strongly recommended their own Dexelia Ultra 5W-30 -- which must be at least semi-synthetic. They also call for longer OCIs.

In Japan, it's API/ILSAC again -- but they'll often use 0W-20 synthetics, and they market their own Mazda-branded RX-8 specific 0W-30 full synthetic (PAO/ester). Various well-respected rotary tuners also market fully synthetic xW-30 and xW-40 oils specifically for rotary engines.

Australia gets to use 5W-30, but gets the same breathless prohibition of synthetic oils that the US does.

Mazda doesn't recommend ILSAC 5W-20 in Europe or ACEA A5 5W-30 in the US, even though oils like those are easily available in either market. Dexelia Ultra isn't available in the US. Their RX-8 specific 0W-30 isn't available outside of some regions in Asia.

Which one is the "real" spec?

If CAFE is the only reason for ILSAC 5W-20 in the US, why don't Europe's own fuel economy requirements, emissions requirements, and hideous fuel taxes impose a similar constraint? What's to say the European spec is better anyway? Maybe the US spec is the "real" one, and the only reason they spec a heavier ACEA A5 oil in Europe is to cope with the longer OCIs. But then why would Mazda's own tailor-made RX-8 oil be a 0W-30? For that matter, why don't they ever export that oil to Europe or the US? And why is it fully synthetic when they insist you can't even use a semi-syn in most other markets?

No one but Mazda really knows why they are doing it this way. But if you assume there is a "real" spec that one of those markets is closest to, you have to make up some crazy convoluted just-so stories to answer all the questions that come up.

If you imagine it's due to subtle differences in tune and/or significant differences in fuel composition, that's not much easier to substantiate -- but it's based on facts that are well-known and endorsed by people in the relevant industries, and it's FAR less vulnerable to Occam's Razor than all the rationalization you'd have to do otherwise.

ACEA A5 is a rough (older) equivalent to API/ILSAC oil but with tougher spec's. We don't recognize ACEA spec's here in Merica. Mazda says ONLY 5w-20 ILSAC oil in the U.S. because that is the oil that was used when they ran the EPA mileage tests and certs.

Originally Posted By: nap
Have you read the thread? The “data” under question, as per the thread’s title, has already been produced as a manual exclusively recommending 0W20 for all climates from Alaska to Texas, except Puerto Rico.

Explain that in a credible fashion and we can conclude the thread.

The credible explanation would be that the engine doesn't produce oil temps too high for a 0W-20 to maintain MOFT with expected usage, even in the hottest North American climates. That's really not unusual these days.

Texas El Paso Intl Airport:

July average high 35.3C
July daily mean 28.2C

Texas record high 49C

Puerto Rico San Juan Intl Airport:

July average high 31.5C
July daily mean 28.6C

Puerto Rico record high 39C

Please explain why the MOFT would warrant xW40 usage in Puerto Rico but not in Texas.

Have you read the thread? The “data” under question, as per the thread’s title, has already been produced as a manual exclusively recommending 0W20 for all climates from Alaska to Texas, except Puerto Rico.

Explain that in a credible fashion and we can conclude the thread.

The credible explanation would be that the engine doesn't produce oil temps too high for a 0W-20 to maintain MOFT with expected usage, even in the hottest North American climates. That's really not unusual these days.

Texas El Paso Intl Airport:

July average high 35.3C
July daily mean 28.2C

Texas record high 49C

Puerto Rico San Juan Intl Airport:

July average high 31.5C
July daily mean 28.6C

Puerto Rico record high 39C

Please explain why the MOFT would warrant xW40 usage in Puerto Rico but not in Texas.

Oh, I missed the Puerto Rico part. Sorry.

I have no idea. What's your point?

...The credible explanation would be that the engine doesn't produce oil temps too high for a 0W-20 to maintain MOFT with expected usage, even in the hottest North American climates. ...
Aren't you guys overlooking the explanation that the RX-8 has unusual requirements, different from those of more conventional engines? "Synthetic" doesn't have the same meaning in all countries.

The point is that the only plausible explanation for some manuals recommendations is that they are tainted by some business / administrative / legal decisions.

The point is that the only plausible explanation for some manuals recommendations is that they are tainted by some business / administrative / legal decisions.

So let's apply the same reasoning you used to argue against any conceivable engineering-related reason.

What business/administrative/legal factors apply everywhere from Alaska to Texas except Puerto Rico?

Ambient temps, regulations, location, owner's manual etc.

No one on here can claim they know the "right viscosity" to use in any vehicle, because there isn't one. Modern automobiles run just fine on many.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Ambient temps, regulations, location, owner's manual etc.

No one on here can claim they know the "right viscosity" to use in any vehicle, because there isn't one. Modern automobiles run just fine on many.

Thanks for making this point wemay. I have always matched the oil to the particular engine and working environment which does include climate. For the majority of drivers the recommended oil by the manufacturer will be fine.

New Navara (2018) with both he new and the old...0W20 "recommended", bit a viscosity chart as well.

How about you start with legal:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Puerto_Rico

and drill down from there.

Once you eliminate engineering and sheer lunacy from the possible reasons behind those manual specs,
there’s not much left but business / admin / legal. Finding which exact regulation or decision conducted to the situation is beyond my purpose.

1. Burden of proof rests with the party making the claim. In this case that's you.

2. You can't possibly be suggesting that ambient temps alone "eliminate engineering" as a possible reason, so I have to imagine there's more to that argument. Could you explain further?

How about you start with legal:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Puerto_Rico

and drill down from there.

Once you eliminate engineering and sheer lunacy from the possible reasons behind those manual specs,
there’s not much left but business / admin / legal. Finding which exact regulation or decision conducted to the situation is beyond my purpose.

1. Burden of proof rests with the party making the claim. In this case that's you.

2. You can't possibly be suggesting that ambient temps alone "eliminate engineering" as a possible reason, so I have to imagine there's more to that argument. Could you explain further?

1. The burden of proof rests with the party making the implausible claim(s). Asking someone to "prove" trivial, largely accepted facts, such as Puerto Rico having a different legal regime than the continental US, is nothing but
Trolling.gif

Also the burden of getting informed on these trivial facts is yours. I shouldn't have to post Texas vs Puerto Rico temperatures as this information is readily available to anyone having an internet connection and willing to have an intelligent conversation.

If you have a more plausible explanation than those that were enumerated please state it. If you can't come up with any, then you will have to accept the existing list until a supplementary explanation is produced.

2. If you were to read this thread (and similar ones) before jumping the gun, you would have noticed that the most common explanation that the thin oil aficionados try to give to these manual recommendation discrepancies is "different engines in different markets thus different oils", or "different temperatures" making it an "engineering" explanation. Although they never provided any "proof" towards the "difference in engine" assertion, however it was taken in consideration as "plausible". Now you have a document that pits Texas vs Puerto Rico manual recommendations, where the explanation of "different engines" or "different temperatures" is highly implausible. If you're not happy with my list of alternative explanations, please contribute to it.

Not sure what to make of that, so I'll have to leave it without a response. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

Another plausible explanation is what's available on store shelves. Cafe regulated oils may not be as easy to find. I don't know, i live here not there.

But in all actuality, who cares outside this forum? What's wrong with someone who accepts FE Cafe over thicker oil? Yes, CAFE is strictly about FE, nothing else, and many accept that without qualms, however miniscule the savings. There is zero evidence their vehicle will live a shorter life because of it, zero.

The condescending labelling (which indirectly scares newer members into thinking its true) of thinner viscosity as:
"Thin as water"
"Swill"

...are becoming old, tired and ridiculous. As is, i might add, the assertion that you "MUST" use what's recommended on your oil cap.

But you're new here, right? How do you know so much about how the "thin oil aficionados" are getting ridiculous?

And that link you gave for the paper from 1977, how can I read it?

It's the thin oil aficionados that are getting ridiculous.

Even EPA is publicly aware that viscosity affects wear:

https://cfpub.epa.gov/ols/catalog/advanc...tem_accn=468135

yet the thin oil cheerleaders deny it.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
But you're new here, right? How do you know so much about how the "thin oil aficionados" are getting ridiculous?

It's the thin oil aficionados that are getting ridiculous.

Even EPA is publicly aware that viscosity affects wear:

https://cfpub.epa.gov/ols/catalog/advanc...tem_accn=468135

yet the thin oil cheerleaders deny it.

laugh.gif

Likely a clone

Originally Posted By: wemay
Another plausible explanation is what's available on store shelves. Cafe regulated oils may not be as easy to find. I don't know, i live here not there.

But in all actuality, who cares outside this forum? What's wrong with someone who accepts FE Cafe over thicker oil? Yes, CAFE is strictly about FE, nothing else, and many accept that without qualms, however miniscule the savings. There is zero evidence their vehicle will live a shorter life because of it, zero.

The condescending labelling (which indirectly scares newer members into thinking its true) of thinner viscosity as:
"Thin as water"
"Swill"

...are becoming old, tired and ridiculous. As is, i might add, the assertion that you "MUST" use what's recommended on your oil cap.

I nominate this for post of the day. Well stated.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

No I'm not new here. I'm reading this forum since about 2002 and the Chrysler 2.7l sludge debates.

As for the paper, you already have the author and title, google search will lead you there.

wemay said:

I think you nailed it. I think the manufacturers look to what oil is available in the country they are selling their vehicles and pick the best/closest choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back