Dead: Cadillac ATS Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
XT5 outsold them however add a second model in and Caddy loses out. They need more crossover variety in lineup to save themselves and sell some car is parallel. Look at VW, introduced last year an Americanized Tiguan and Atlas that don’t drive like a normal past VW(for enthusiasts) and it makes 50% of their sales.

Originally Posted By: E365
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/04/mar...ery-suv-ranked/
March 2018: The Cadillac XT5 outsold...
Great sourcing! I had no idea the Cadillac SRX-successor, the 2017/18 XT5 is doing so well. Only "luxury crossovers" I see doing better in the 1st quarter of 2018 are: Lexus RX (smaller than XT5), and the Mercedes GLC (almost the same dimensions as the XT5, very close).
Of course that's national U.S. sales. Regionally, Cadillacs aren't as popular on the west coast I'd wager. East coast, Cadillac is more popular. NY to FL, yes, that's got to be where a bunch of them are. Middle of the country, and the south, Cadillacs likely do very well too there in the luxo-large-ish-crossover category.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
The depreciation on these is horrible. You can buy a three year old ATS with under 30k on it for 19k... so why buy a new one for 45k?

This is encouraging, at least for those in the used car market. I'm dreaming about a 2-3 year old Caddy ATS-V as a replacement for my 2002 Camaro. The 5th and 6th Gen Camaros just turn me off from the standpoints of size, weight, and ergonomics, and the ATS is based on the same platform.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
XT5 outsold them however add a second model in and Caddy loses out.

Good point, as BMW sold a total of 35,492 SUV's in the U.S. in the 1st quarter (X1,X2,X3,X4,X5,X6 models combined).
Cadillac only has the XT5 & Escalade, and sold 22,956 of those combined in the 1st quarter in the U.S.

Now you could only compare models somebody would likely cross-shop.
For example, someone would cross-shop an XT5 with a BMW X5 or X6 only (size, price, etc.). In that case, the XT5 sold 14,845 and BMW X5+X6 sales are 14,095, so Cadillac did beat (about equal really) the cross-shopped BMW's.

The picture gets more murky fast if you consider well-optioned GMC Acadia's use the same chassis as the Cadillac XT5, so many consumers might consider an expensive GMC Acadia too. When you add those two numbers, GM as a company does pretty well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I'll take an ATS-V with a 2.8L Diesel.

GM is not that imaginative stupid!

Come on now, the 2.8L diesel would probably weigh about the same as the twin-turbo 3.6L DOHC V6, but it has about 300 HP less.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I'll take an ATS-V with a 2.8L Diesel.

GM is not that imaginative stupid!

Come on now, the 2.8L diesel would probably weigh about the same as the twin-turbo 3.6L DOHC V6, but it has about 300 HP less.

Whether GM is stupid or not, is proven, long time ago. Moder diesels (not sure about 2.8l) have aluminum heads and would probably weight around same as 3.6ltr.
And yes, there is consumer base for 4-cyl diesel engine. Cadillac is NOT some sport brand that people [censored] their pants when they see it, hence 3.6 TT engine in it is irrelevant. Average buyer of Cadillac does not have reflexes that fast for 3.6TT.
BMW is selling every single 328d they have in the lot, and guess what, BMW is MUCH more profitable then GM (and they did not bankrupt, so I guess not stupid as GM).

BMW is selling every single 328d they have in the lot, and guess what, BMW is MUCH more profitable then GM (and they did not bankrupt, so I guess not stupid as GM).

Yet BMW still required money from the US tax payer to survive. And for deeds infinitely worse than GM ever did.

And back in 2008 when the economy was in the tanks, BMW, VW, Daimler and Opel all requested loans from the German government. Hardly just a GM thing.
http://m.spiegel.de/international/busine...s-a-592658.html

Last edited:

Yet BMW still required money from the US tax payer to survive. And for deeds infinitely worse than GM ever did.

And back in 2008 when the economy was in the tanks, BMW, VW, Daimler and Opel all requested loans from the German government. Hardly just a GM thing.

Where did BMW requested money from US taxpayers in 2008? If you are referring to SC plant, all manufacturers, including GM etc. are getting pretty sweet deals from states, including BMW.
Also, do not forget, BMW is GERMAN company, OPEL in 2008 was American company (GM), bailed out by German government, and stayed in GM ownership, and later sold by GM.

Where did BMW requested money from US taxpayers in 2008? If you are referring to SC plant, all manufacturers, including GM etc. are getting pretty sweet deals from states, including BMW.
Also, do not forget, BMW is GERMAN company, OPEL in 2008 was American company (GM), bailed out by German government, and stayed in GM ownership, and later sold by GM.

I’m thinking more like 1948. But that’s a whole other can of worms...

I’m thinking more like 1948. But that’s a whole other can of worms...

I know, like French in 1776.

Ha. A festival of misinformation. Great job of obfuscating what was a clear topic.

GM was a union payout. Very simple. Hugely partisan.

And Big Gov shells out money all over the place, plenty for everyone, don't push.

It was hugely entertaining to hear how a V-6 diesel should weigh in like a gas V-6!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Ha. A festival of misinformation. It was hugely entertaining to hear how a V-6 diesel should weigh in like a gas V-6!

Your misinformation stands out. Since when is the current 2.8L GM turbo-diesel a V6? Its a 4. It hasn't grown.
That engine would feel pretty good in an ATS. Peak torque of 369 ft-lbs at 2000 RPM would work.

The reason I think a 2.8L Duramax would work well in an ATS-V is in part to my daughter test driving a Diesel Colorado 2 months ago. We were climbing a 7% grade and I told her to get this thing moving. "I'm going 140 (km)". Diesel Canyon/Colorado owners report fuel economy in the 8-9 liters per 100km range.

From tuning MX motorcycles, to make a bike fast; suspension, tires & rider trumps horsepower.
With 4 wheels on a twisty road at legal speeds, I'll take torque over horsepower.
At higher speeds, horsepower rules.

Last but not least, Diesel is 25% cheaper than premium gasoline. What good is a ride if you can't afford to drive it?

Santa are you listening? An ATS-V with a manual transmission, chipped 'n deleted, sans EGR & DPF.

Last edited:
The reason I think a 2.8L Duramax would work well in an ATS-V is in part to my daughter test driving a Diesel Colorado 2 months ago. We were climbing a 7% grade and I told her to get this thing moving. "I'm going 140 (km)". Diesel Canyon/Colorado owners report fuel economy in the 8-9 liters per 100km range.

From tuning MX motorcycles, to make a bike fast; suspension, tires & rider trumps horsepower.
With 4 wheels on a twisty road at legal speeds, I'll take torque over horsepower.
At higher speeds, horsepower rules.

Last but not least, Diesel is 25% cheaper than premium gasoline. What good is a ride if you can't afford to drive it?

Santa are you listening? An ATS-V with a manual transmission, chipped 'n deleted, sans EGR & DPF.

Did you really just suggest a 180hp diesel in a V-series Cadillac?

I could dig it. Of course, that doesn't anywhere remotely mean it's a good idea in the winder market.

People are blowing my mind in this thread with stupidity.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back