Florida car insurance increasing at alarming rate ...

Robin Phillips says monthly insurance premiums are now higher than car payments. “The increases should be for those that are making claims and getting tickets and/or points on their license,” she said.

Alternate headline:

Florida Man Doesn't Understand How Insurance Works

Ana Curbelo says her monthly premium increased from $170 to $280 to insure her 2004 Toyota Camry. “It’s crazy for this minimal coverage,” she said. “And I’m over 50.”

Alternate alternate-headline

Breaking News: In shocking announcement, hurricanes promise they will no longer damage vehicles owned by residents over 50

Alternate headline:

Florida Man Doesn't Understand How Insurance Works

Alternate alternate-headline

Breaking News: In shocking announcement, hurricanes promise they will no longer damage vehicles owned by residents over 50
I think you may be over simplifying here... Insurance rates are exploding everywhere, not just in hurricane prone areas.

My sister is shopping for car insurance in Louisiana . It's almost like they don't want to insure anyone so they set the rates too high . One company , I think it was Progressive , wanted $1250 up front just to start the policy .

Mine just jumped from $555 to $614, an increase of 9.6% on two cars full coverage. BTW that's still down from three or four years ago when it was $700. I'm in Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
I live so far from civilization, accidents, car theft, etc don't happen here.

I pay $1200 a year total to insure 4 minivans with 5 drivers with 300k bodily injury liability coverage
which is approximately $300 per vehicle annually. I hope my rates don't go up.

It won’t arrive in other states.
Yes, car insurance is always increasing. But this is uniquely Florida thing that is tied to their homeowners insurance debacle, for the lack of better word.
Research homeowners insurance issues there. Many big insurance companies left FL. That will have huge impact on ALL insurance businesses.
This year Florida is projected to overtake California as the most expensive state to live, thanx to homeowners insurance issues. And culprit is not in hurricanes.

Watch the weather channel with people driving through flooded areas thinking they have a boat on tires. A couple inches of water inside takes out a bunch of modules under the seats alone. It's not 1968 anymore. Add in distracted driving in congested areas and there you go. Your zip code has a lot to do with Ins. pricing. It's called risk assessment. Higher risk, higher costs. Just like teenage drivers on your policy.

Our rates haven't gone up where we live (rural TX). And we moved and registered one of our daily drivers to (rural) Colorado and bundled it with our home policy there and received a discount.

GEICO.jpg

Ed

My sister is shopping for car insurance in Louisiana . It's almost like they don't want to insure anyone so they set the rates too high . One company , I think it was Progressive , wanted $1250 up front just to start the policy .
More likely insurance is required.....so.

I think you may be over simplifying here... Insurance rates are exploding everywhere, not just in hurricane prone areas.

They don’t have to stop selling ICE cars. They just have to make them so expensive to operate that only the 1% can continue using them.

Applies to everything including property taxes.

Back