Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you know that I am not giving you a hard time here billt460. I am just bringing out some observations and facts based upon what I've seen over time. Ohh and another bad luck day for the polesitter... Dale Earnhardt Jr. My favorite driver who has had 0 luck this yr...

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I hope you know that I am not giving you a hard time here billt460.

cheers3.gif

.....Ohh and another bad luck day for the polesitter... Dale Earnhardt Jr. My favorite driver who has had 0 luck this yr...

His heart isn't in it anymore. I don't blame him. He's had his bell rung too many times. But it would have been nice to see him win. He went from 1st, to a lap down, then back up in the top ten again before he wrecked out. 14 cautions for 51 laps = BORING. I'm surprised they didn't have to refuel the Pace Car. Stage racing isn't for added "excitement". It's for added commercials.

Originally Posted By: billt460
.....Ohh and another bad luck day for the polesitter... Dale Earnhardt Jr. My favorite driver who has had 0 luck this yr...

His heart isn't in it anymore. I don't blame him. He's had his bell rung too many times. But it would have been nice to see him win. He went from 1st, to a lap down, then back up in the top ten again before he wrecked out. 14 cautions for 51 laps = BORING. I'm surprised they didn't have to refuel the Pace Car. Stage racing isn't for added "excitement". It's for added commercials.

I tried to watch it, but fell asleep after "The Big One". Woke up during the victory lane ceremony.
I wonder if they rewarded the pace car driver points for leading the most laps.

I watched the race today and it was one of the best plate races I have seen in years. Even knowing what was going to happen, I was still enjoying it.

I believe that Dale Earnhardt Jr has his heart into it still to a high degree. I will say that it seems to me that he does drop out of the high intensity mix if he knows he can't get towards the front of the pack. He did this at Talladega where he had some crash damage that was relatively minor but he just stayed out of the hornet's nest in the late stages. Why?? Not because his heart not into it. But because he doesn't want to get into a bad wreck and potentially have another concussion. Which would likely end his season very early. He is just picking and choosing when to go hard and when to lay back a lot more than he has before.

In the 2009-2010 seasons I had the overwhelming feeling that Dale Earnhardt Jr did not have his heart into being there to racing. His body language, his tone, his demeanor, and his own words strongly suggested that he would have rather been somewhere else than at the track. If I was a close friend to Dale I would have suggested that he stop racing for awhile during that time. And if he missed it... Then go back to it. If not, then don't go back. This is where Steve Letarte and Rick Hendrick deserve so much credit for helping Dale get back to where he was competitive again. In the 2011 season you could slowly see that Dale was starting to enjoy doing what he was doing again. By the end of that season I felt like Dale was finally getting to where he really wanted to be at the track. It was truly great to see that sense of enjoyment back in him again. Even in 2013 when Dale went winless he seemed to be in a very good place mentally. This lead up to the 2014 Daytona 500 win in which you could see just how happy and grateful Dale was to win. He truly understood that he was very fortunate to have that opportunity to do that again.

In this season of difficulty and no luck I do not get anywhere near the negativity that I saw and felt with him like it was in 2009-10. Not even close to it. I just see where he is driving a whole lot more cautiously in certain spots to avoid having another concussion. And I don't blame him for doing that at all. I would do the same exact thing. In playing volleyball I would choose to not so certain things due to the fact it wasn't worth taking the chance in getting hurt or hurting someone else. I had the "live to play another day" way about doing things. It wasn't worth ripping up my ankle or knee for one single player in a game. And I certainly did not to take out another player and getting then hurt bad either. I think Dale Earnhardt Jr is doing the exact same thing now. And if I were a close friend to him... I would tell him to do what he has been doing. As a famous lyric from Kenny Rogers goes, "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back