CrossWind tires. Will they kill me dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
This is why I don't buy cheap tires for cars that I care about.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, why did you run your tires nearly bald to begin with? Also, did you let the tire pressures drop too much?

Yes, I have neglected a tire before, also a Kumho, ECSTA SPT, wore them down to the belt and flatted.... no one to blame but myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

So, why did you run your tires nearly bald to begin with? Also, did you let the tire pressures drop too much?

Yes, I have neglected a tire before, also a Kumho, ECSTA SPT, wore them down to the belt and flatted.... no one to blame but myself.

Wan't me. Rolled into the shop like that. I've seen tons of blow outs. Non that have done that though, only retreads.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
This is why I don't buy cheap tires for cars that I care about.
….. [[2 photos omitted]]…….
[Linked Image]

Notice in the last photo that there is a cut just off the tread surface. As a tire failure analyst, that indicates the separation was caused by an object and not because of the tire. Ordinarily, that cut wouldn't be there and the tread and top belt would have separated leaving the rest of the tire intact and holding air.

Sorry, but that failure doesn't support your case about "cheap tires".

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by Cujet

But overall Honda and Toyota are the most reliable. A proven fact. Not conjecture.

That was true a decade ago.

Now, check Consumer Reports: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/videos/lowest-rated-cars-of-2019/vi-BBTUPcP

Also, JD Power has Honda near the bottom: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2018-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Oh God not the JDPOWER initial quality study.
Initial Quality Study (IQS) is a measure of problems experienced within the first 90 days of ownership.

Try the Vehicle Dependability study. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/jd-power-2018-us-vehicle-dependability-study

It's also the cost to keep a car on the road. Luxury makes, especially Euro ones, are ridiculously expensive to repair. What you want is a good powertrain and an absence of fancy features (which Honda used to have).

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
If you're lucky they may just disable you or one of your family for life.

So melodramatic.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by JustinH
We bought our Scion XB used, with a stack of receipts from Firestone here in San Antonio, every oil change and service done there.

Car came with a set of Primewell tires on there, less than half tread left on them.

Anyways I read about a primewell recall on this site due to tread separations.

We took the car to Firestone and they gave us a new different brand of Primewells. The fronts were burned down to 2/32nds in 15k miles, and the rears were showing metal and signs of tread separation, but lots of tread on them.

Tires were never rotated, my fault, but they were never ran hard or low on air pressure.

We ended up getting a different brand from Discount tire, one of their house brands, and the ride has been
much better.

So this either very hard to believe or the tires are rated to only 30,000 miles........

They were Z rated directional tires with a sub 400 wear rating. Odd choice for a scion xb but thats what they honored for the rebate.

I wish I had photos of the tires I seen when discount took them off. The rears were showing metal and separation. The fronts were at the wear bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back