Tire Recommendation Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some cheap tires on my daily. I found two tires on walmart.com that have the same ratings on everything except warranty and temp
the first listed tire has a 45,000 mile warranty and temp rated A, advertised as a touring. The latter has a 40,000 mile warranty and temp rated B, but is advertised as a performance tire.
I would go used, but that route hasn't proven well in the past. I drive the car on the highway 8 months of the year to get to college (46 miles a day) and the rest are local to get work during summer and winter break. I will be changing only 2 tires as my rear tires still have a lot of tread left. Those will be rotated to the front and these will be put on the rear.
If anyone has had any experience with these tires I would appreciate if you could tell me how well or bad they're running. Also I would like to know if anyone does the 2 tire change rather than all 4 at once. This car is front wheel drive. Money is tight and 150 for the tires and installation for the pair is a good deal in my book. Walmart doesn't charge for shipping like tirerack which is another reason I have chosen them.

SOLAR 4XS Link

Antares Ingens Link

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
https://longisland.craigslist.org/wto/5877040976.html

Offer $200 cash for the set, and go get them mounted (sell your 2 current good tires on Craigslist). Will be significantly bettter than the SOLAR/Antares.

The amount of tread wear looks excessive for only <2000 miles. I'd expect them to look brand new with every factory detail still apparent. How about 10,000-20,000 miles? My Michelins have 20,000 miles on them now and you can barely discern wear on the tread bars. Every little groove or sipe is still sharp. I'm not buying the seller's story. And cosmetically they look a bit beat up. Again, not what I'd expect from nearly "new" tires.

The words "performance" and "touring" can be used wherever the marketing department of said company sees fit.

Solar is Sumitomo's budget line. Sumitomo is a well known Japanese tire manufacturer that has partnered with and manufactured tires for major brands.

Antares is manufactured by a Chinese tire company. Budget tires from China have a less-than-stellar reputation.

I'd never put used tires on a car I wasn't looking to sell shortly thereafter. You have no idea how the last owner treated them and tires are one of the most critical safety components on your car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

The amount of tread wear looks excessive for only div>

I'm sure he'd appreciate it if you can find him a better deal. Glad to hear Michelin is working out for you.

Unfortunately Craiglist has always proven very shady in the NY/NJ area. Been burned before. But I do appreciate you checking.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Unfortunately Craiglist has always proven very shady in the NY/NJ area. Been burned before. But I do appreciate you checking.

How do you get burned on tires, though? You go look, inspect, and make an offer. Not like you're buying them sight unseen...

I'm sure he'd appreciate it if you can find him a better deal. Glad to hear Michelin is working out for you.

Do you agree that those Pirelli tires look a little wasted for under 2,000 miles? If that's the case, then the seller is full of it. I don't want to buy anything from a seller that doesn't pass the common sense test. Maybe one or more of those tires have a damaged band, won't balance, or worse. I won't take that chance. If you agree those look great for 2,000 miles then proceed towards purchase.

While my Michelins are wearing very well, they show light dry cracking at only 3 years. So it would appear they will "die" due to cracking in another 3-4 years despite the decent tread wear I am experiencing. If I get to 50K miles I'll be happy. Maybe AltiMAX RT43 next time. I've never bought used tires for a daily driver though.

Used AltiMAX ...in Holbrook...looks like a dealer offering.

I'd reserve judgment until inspecting in-person. Typical poor image quality and flash blow-out you get with Craigslist pictures can really do a number.

Used AltiMAX ...in Holbrook...looks like a dealer offering.

Those look great! Good find! Being sold by Catania’s Car Care in Ronkonkoma. Additional plus is they'll mount/balance as well.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/wto/5877040976.html

Offer $200 cash for the set, and go get them mounted (sell your 2 current good tires on Craigslist). Will be significantly bettter than the SOLAR/Antares.

+1, look at the DOT date code. Definitely not less than 2,000 miles. Even a cheaper quality tire with less than 2,000 miles looks almost brand new. Or maybe it's just the picture quality, who knows?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
+1, look at the DOT date code.

Where? Which picture?

I see a 1521, but that can't be right

Where? Which picture?

I meant, if he goes to see it in person. I can't see in the picts.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Where? Which picture?

I see a 1521, but that can't be right

That seems like load in lbs.

When it comes to Wal-Mart tires or brands you've never heard of vs. name brands, you get what you pay for. It may not show up in every purchase on every car, but you get what you pay for.

I have contacted the seller, but I would seriously appreciate if anyone could give me feedback on the tires I have mentioned in the original post. I really am not interested in used tires because there are too many things that can be wrong with them even if they are the best out there.
With Walmart, at least there is some warranty if they fail or I have mounting issues. Good luck getting an indy to remount/rebalance for free. There's a reason they're being sold on craigslist. The fact that the ad is 2 months old tells you that the seller keeps renewing it because they have not been sold yet. Craiglist ads have to be renewed every 30 days. It's a very common tire size and he lives in a fairly busy area so I can deduce that at least one person has seen the tire and walked away because of price/quality issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back