Tire balance bead experiment - do they work?

wwillson

Staff member
I have heard for years about wheel balance beads and wanted to try them on the Durango. My motivation was simple curiosity, I didn't have an imbalance problem to solve. I also have access to a lift, tire mounting machine, and tire balance machine at Bill's shop and Bill was curious to, so we figured we'd give it a try. All my cost would be is time to install the beads and a few bucks for the beads, so what could go wrong?

I bought some beads from https://www.magnumbalance.com after reading the material on their website. They have a bead application phone app, which works very well, which will tell you how many beads to use by tire size or tire weight. On their website in the FAQ https://www.magnumbalance.com/en-us/faq/ they state you do not need to balance your tires. Seeing this, I decided to remove all the balance weights when I put the beads into the tires.

The first trip to Bill's shop was to remove the tire weights, break one bead down on the tire machine and use a small funnel to get the beads inside the tires. The app calls for two scoops or 6.5oz in 265x60R18 tires. So I added three scoops or 9.75oz, because more is better, right? We finished the job in about 45 minutes and went for a test drive. The freeway is about three blocks away so we jumped on and drove about three miles, turned around and drove back to the shop. The beads do work, there was zero shaking, which meant the tires were perfectly balanced. This is going to be cool!

The next day I drove back to my hometown, which is 300 miles. I jumped on I-80 and started the drive at my normal 73 MPH. All was in balance, life is good. The interstate has nice long sweeping curves, this is where the trouble began. Every time I went around a curve, the shaking would begin and would last for a couple miles, then it would be all smooth again. There are a lot of curves on the interstate in a 600 mile drive :(. Why was this happening? Did I put too many beads in? Maybe three scoops was too much weight in beads?

Bill and I talked about the shakes in the curves and decided we would take some amount of the beads out. We had to break both beads down to get the beads out. We sucked them out with a vacuum and put one scoop (3.25oz) back in each tire. We were pretty sure less beads would be better and smooth everything out.

A couple days later I left on a 2,000 mile trip. The shaking was slightly less, but it was still there around every corner and then for a couple miles. If you exit the interstate and get right back on, there was zero shaking, but enter the first curve and the shakes begin. There are a LOT of curves in a 2000 mile drive :mad:. You also have a lot of time to think about why curves cause shaking, about 28 hours of time.

Objects in motion tend to continue in a straight line, unless acted on by an outside force. Tire beads, not being fixed to the inside of the tire, are free to attempt to travel in a straight line, until they contact the sidewall of the tire. The beads inside the tire, pile up on the outside of the curve because they want to go straight. This causes the temporary imbalance until the beads have enough time to slowly migrate back to an equilibrium distribution and the shaking stops.

Ugh, this experiment was failing, but why does it work so well in semi and motorcycle tires? Because they are much higher profile, meaning the ratio of height to width is greater. The shape of the inside of motorcycle tires also helps keep the beads in the center of the tread. The wider the tire, the worse the imbalance caused by bead migration to the outside of the turn.

We broke the tires down again, removed all of the beads, balanced the tires with wheel weights, and had a good laugh at how much time we had wasted on this experiment. However, we both agreed that it was worth the effort because we learned about tire beads!

The next weekend, I made another 2,000 miles round trip and enjoyed the shake-less drive. Bill's tire balance machine had just been re-calibrated and that thing is right on the money.

My verdict on tire balance beads is, they aren't for tires with wide footprints. Motorcycles and semis, great, but not for cars.

As an aside, I do have Centramatics on my truck and they work wonderfully, because the steel balls are captured in a tube and can't migrate.

My $.02

Last edited:
Interesting. I have a friend that just added them to the 19.5s on his F-350 but I don’t think he’s driven it much yet.

I have successfully used air soft bb's in the past on a set of mud tires. Main reason was because dried mud would cause noticeable vibrations on the trip home. I now have a wash down hose available where I hunt so regular wheel weights work as long as I take the time to spray the wheels off. Never experienced the vibrations after curves but did have the sound of plastic bb's bouncing off the aluminum rims as I came to a stop.

Last edited:
Nowhere did I see in your post where part of your experiment involved using them per the manufacturer's instructions, unless I missed it. You used either too much or too little (1 or 3 scoops, but not the recommendation of 2.)

How can you draw a valid conclusion about a product if you don't even try using it correctly?

Curious as to the logic being applied here. "This product didn't work when used improperly" seems like a conclusion you could have made without the time and effort investment.

Again, unless I missed the stage in your testing where the proper amount was used per the manuf instructions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Edit: I'm not saying that following the instructions would make them actually work, either. Just that it seems like a needed step in the experiment. Probably should have just started there to begin with. Lol

My dad is running some skinny 19.5 inch truck tires on his pickup, and balance beads work for him. I've noticed that a lot of car tires aren't smooth on the inside, the lining has a Chevron pattern or slightly raised bars going across the inside of the tire. I wonder if these bars could affect how the balance beads work

Nowhere did I see in your post where part of your experiment involved using them per the manufacturer's instructions, unless I missed it. You used either too much or too little (1 or 3 scoops, but not the recommendation of 2.)
You are correct that we didn't install the recommended 2 scoops of beads. My hunch was that it didn't matter how many beads we used, the problem is physics, not quantity of beads. With this hunch, we decided to install 1/2 the recommended amount to see if we could reduce the shaking to the point of being almost unnoticeable. Even with 1 scoop, it was still very noticeable.

How can you draw a valid conclusion about a product if you don't even try using it correctly?
Because it's not a bead quantity problem, it's a physics problem.

Curious as to the logic being applied here. "This product didn't work when used improperly" seems like a conclusion you could have made without the time and effort investment.
I disagree. Let's say we did put exactly the recommended 2 scoops. What would have been magic about that quantity and eliminate the shaking around and after corners?

If you read on Martinsindustries website, they are pretty liberal about the amount of beads used.

Again, unless I missed the stage in your testing where the proper amount was used per the manuf instructions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
You are correct, I didn't test 2 scoops.

Interesting, thank you. Friend of mine is doing this, says it works well, but I was dubious. I suspect my 195/70R14's might work :) but I think I might just pay for conventional balancing going forward--it's not bank breaking, but for a bit I was taking delight in doing most of the work on my car.

As a tire engineer, I've always been bothered by 2 aspects of balancing beads:

1) What's the physics behind this? It seems to me that high speeds are needed to make this work, so what happens at slow speeds? I never considered the affect cornering forces would have, so this thread is very interesting.

2) Why haven't any car or truck manufacturers adopted this? Surely, they've tested it!

What's the physics behind this?

I wish one of our physicist here would explain why the beads find the opposite side of the imbalance. My non-physicist brain thinks the beads would find the same side as the imbalance and make it worse.

What's the physics behind this? It seems to me that high speeds are needed to make this work, so what happens at slow speeds?
When accelerating from a stop, you absolutely do feel an imbalance when the beads are not in an equilibrium. The beads finish finding their equilibrium at about 35-45 MPH.

Why haven't any car or truck manufacturers adopted this? Surely, they've tested it!
Probably for the same reasons I found.

I wish one of our physicist here would explain why the beads find the opposite side of the imbalance. My non-physicist brain thinks the beads would find the same side as the imbalance and make it worse.

When accelerating from a stop, you absolutely do feel an imbalance when the beads are not in an equilibrium. The beads finish finding their equilibrium at about 35-45 MPH.

Probably for the same reasons I found.
I’m struggling to explain why they work at all…

I tried them in my Jeep years ago. I COULD NOT drive between 35 and 40 or 45 MPH. It would shake the vehicle apart. But once I got to 50 or so it was smooth all the way up to speeds far higher than safe for that particular vehicle.

If I hit a bump on the highway it would shake for a few seconds but figure itself out again. But 35-40/45 was impossible. That was on LT235/85R16 tires.

Here is one explanation:

and another

Apparently a paper was written about this some time ago:

"Investigation of a multi-ball, automatic dynamic balancing mechanism for eccentric rotors

K Green
A.R Champneys
M.I Friswell
and
A.M Muñoz
Published:18 October 2007https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2007.2123

Abstract​

This paper concerns an analytical and experimental investigation into the dynamics of an automatic dynamic balancer (ADB) designed to quench vibration in eccentric rotors. This fundamentally nonlinear device incorporates several balancing masses that are free to rotate in a circumferentially mounted ball race. An earlier study into the steady state and transient response of the device with two balls is extended to the case of an arbitrary number of balls. Using bifurcation analysis allied to numerical simulation of a fully nonlinear model, the question is addressed of whether increasing the number of balls is advantageous. It is found that it is never possible to perfectly balance the device at rotation speeds comparable with or below the first natural, bending frequency of the rotor. When considering practical implementation of the device, a modification is suggested where individual balls are contained in separate arcs of the ball race, with rigid partitions separating each arc. Simulation results for a partitioned ADB are compared with those from an experimental rig. Close qualitative and quantitative match is found between the theory and the experiment, confirming that for sub-resonant rotation speeds, the ADB at best makes no difference to the imbalance, and can make things substantially worse. Further related configurations worthy of experimental and numerical investigation are proposed."

I haven't seen the equations as yet, which should shed some light on this alleged dynamic balancing, but what I have seen so far, the number and type of beads per type of tire and its profile seems like an experimental nightmare and is suspect.

I would think that once the beads found an equilibrium position opposite the other mass lump, that any bump or turning motion would take the whole situation out of equilibrium, hence vibration on curves and rough pavement.

Last edited:
This is a great video demonstration of how balance balls/beads work. I'm hoping for a physics explanation of why the steel balls in this video move to the opposite side of the imbalance weight.

Motorcycle tires also lean in corners with the centrifugal forces always at the center (lowest point) of the tire, even in a turn, which is why they stay balanced. Cars turn "flat", which allows the beads to migrate to the outer edge of the tire in a turn.

Motorcycle tires also lean in corners with the centrifugal forces always at the center (lowest point) of the tire, even in a turn, which is why they stay balanced. Cars turn "flat", which allows the beads to migrate to the outer edge of the tire in a turn.
As shown below, the Centrifugal force is always pointing from the center to the outside (Red Arrow) of the circle as it rotates or travels in a circle.

So on a single motorcycle tire for example, you have the sum of two forces: the force due to 1/2 the weight of the motorcycle and the centrifugal force.
Centrifugal-Force.jpg

Last edited:
Back