Tire Recommendation Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If you're never going to travel over 40 MPH I suppose you can trust your life to Chinese stuff, if you're going faster you like to live dangerously.

This exactly. Several people have commented on this thread about sticking to name brand tires and I cannot agree more. You don't know how bad a tire is until you see it side by side with another tire on the same car. The braking distance on some of the cheaper tires is a whole car length longer. That's huge when it comes to close calls. Just YouTube Consumer reports tire tests. Those videos are free and see for yourself. In my opinion, just not worth it. I'm sure there is a Chinese tire that performs well, but you'll never know because most aren't tested. I would search for a deal on a mainstream tire. Something is always on sale from someone.

I'll give support to the idea of not running Chinese tires either. Some life-critical things such as food, jack stands and tires I try to avoid anything made in China. Sometimes it's not possible, but when I can I do.

Even if you don't buy $160 tires, even an extra $20 a tire can get you into something reputable. Also, almost every auto establishment will negotiate, just ask. Most people don't realize that. I regularly get better prices just by politely asking. I can almost always get $5 or $10 knocked off per tire by just asking as long as it's not a big box store. Same with installation. A lot of place around here charge $75 to $100 for four tires installed. I have gone to Walmart many times but you often have to wait hours. This last time, I got a local shop to go from $75 to $50 on the install by just asking so that I didn't have to do the Walmart thing.

My point is, there are ways to get the cost down other than buying Chinese tires.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
This is a budget all season tire from Sumitomo that has been getting pretty decent reviews on TireRack...I see it on Walmart.com, too, but not in your size. Might be worth poking around for.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=16HR6HTRASP02&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I have these, and I like them a lot.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some cheap tires on my daily. I found two tires on walmart.com that have the same ratings on everything except warranty and temp
the first listed tire has a 45,000 mile warranty and temp rated A, advertised as a touring. The latter has a 40,000 mile warranty and temp rated B, but is advertised as a performance tire.
I would go used, but that route hasn't proven well in the past. I drive the car on the highway 8 months of the year to get to college (46 miles a day) and the rest are local to get work during summer and winter break. I will be changing only 2 tires as my rear tires still have a lot of tread left. Those will be rotated to the front and these will be put on the rear.
If anyone has had any experience with these tires I would appreciate if you could tell me how well or bad they're running. Also I would like to know if anyone does the 2 tire change rather than all 4 at once. This car is front wheel drive. Money is tight and 150 for the tires and installation for the pair is a good deal in my book. Walmart doesn't charge for shipping like tirerack which is another reason I have chosen them.

SOLAR 4XS Link

Antares Ingens Link

I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't buy inexpensive tires. But please do not buy cheap tires.

I've purchased a few sets of cheap tires, and none of them ever lasted longer than 2 years of daily use before they either wore out, or performance degraded to the point that they became dangerous.

Spend just a little more, and get a good set of inexpensive tires. Lots of good choices. Research the specific tire (not just the brand); The Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 gets good ratings at a low price point; Kumho Solus TA11 or Ecsta LX Platinum might be good options too. Heck, I wouldn't even fault you for looking at a set of Starfire or Mastercraft tires. Best case, spend a little more and get General Altimax RT43.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back