Tire Recommendation Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough Alex_V. That much I am expecting. The Sumitomo Super brand looks okay from the reviews. I really don't have a big budget for this car since it is kind of a beater. I just don't have time to deal with issues that may arise with used tires. If there are any problems with these, at least walmart can try to fix it, regardless of how cheap the tires are.

I ordered 4 Milestar tires for the last few months I had my Taurus. They were good value for money. Showed up 3 days after I ordered them . The guy I sold the car to said he has zero complaints.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
See if these are a option at your walmart...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/215-60R16-95H-Touring-DTR1-Dextero/50732983

Better treadwear so should last longer and still less than $60 a tire.

The Solar is a ok tire but low treadwear numbers. The other tire I would skip in general.

Thank you. These tires do look better on paper than the Super. Are tire warranties on these cheaper brands any good?

Originally Posted By: THafeez

The Solar is a ok tire but low treadwear numbers. The other tire I would skip in general.

Thank you. These tires do look better on paper than the Super. Are tire warranties on these cheaper brands any good?

Warranties on tires will mostly depend where you buy them and their support. Walmart should stand behind them.
I personally never trust the warranties as they are generally fluff. I buy tires that meet my needs and use them as I want.

Originally Posted By: THafeez

Warranties on tires will mostly depend where you buy them and their support. Walmart should stand behind them.
I personally never trust the warranties as they are generally fluff. I buy tires that meet my needs and use them as I want.

^ what he said above. It depends on the tire tech mood, how busy they are and if place where you are taking like you or no?

I have had an amazing experience with Costco for warranty work and my uncle was ripped off at the same place, while I was present both times. Go figure...

Last edited:
Sounds good. Thank you all for the input
smile.gif

I think UTQG treadwear ratings mainly come from the marketing department as well. I was looking at tires for my car and looked through consumer reports independent testing results. The continentals with the 560 treadwear rating and longer warranty they listed as good for 45K miles, the BFG's with the 400 treadwear rating and shorter warranty they said will last 60K.

Last edited:
If you're never going to travel over 40 MPH I suppose you can trust your life to Chinese stuff, if you're going faster you like to live dangerously.

I am currently running 4 Load Range E Dextero all seasons on my 95 F350. Have gone 10K miles with no issues. You need to double-check on the Walmart warranty for your tire size and type, but I have never had an issue with Walmart not honoring a tire warranty (within their set of published restrictions).

If treadlife really is your primary concern, Michelin defenders or Pirelli P4 a/s+ will cost you almost twice as much, but will last darn near forever with regular rotation. You also get a good, quiet, low rolling resistance tire of a known quality.

Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap, buy again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I ordered 4 Milestar tires for the last few months I had my Taurus. They were good value for money. Showed up 3 days after I ordered them . The guy I sold the car to said he has zero complaints.

I was just about to suggest these myself. I _almost_ bought a set of them for my Fusion last year, but opted to go with Coopers at the last minute due to some excellent DT and Cooper rebates and discounts.

For the OP, have a look here: Discount Tire Direct - Milestar 932 tires

May not be the BEST tire out there, but for the price, and considering the overall great reviews I see for them, they are worth a look.

Also, Discount Tire Direct ships for free, and you should have no problem bringing them to a local tire shop for mounting.

What is a solar or antares tire?

Hiw about finding a quality US made tire so even if you dont care about your safety, youll makr a half decent attempt to ensure others'.

I buy excellent condition, "premium" brand (Michelin and Yokohama) tires used from selected sellers on ebay for half the cost of new.

My experience:
1) Buying new, but cheap tires, means = I replace them within 24 months. Money lost.
2) spending $60-$70 on a tire with 10/32 or 11/32 tread that cost $200 new = Tire that last over 3 years.

so, basically - I am buying QUALITY, I just let someone else depreciate them for me.

I'm always looking, and always have 1-2 backups.
I'll soon be replacing a Michelin I paid $50 and has 3+ years and 40,000 miles on.
Yes, I have 4 different tires on my truck, but no one notices. 265/70R17's

True enough. If they're going to rot or get beat up otherwise before they'd have a chance to legitimately wear out, no point in paying for performance you aren't going to need.

Don't do it.

At least get Douglas (made by Goodyear, and often US-made, too). There's also Kelly.

215/60-16
Douglas All-Season is $69
Kumho Solus TA31 is $74
Falken Ziex ZE950 is $75
Falken Sincera SN250 is $76

Any of them will be MUCH better than the cheap tires you're considering.

I have the Falken ZE950's on my car and they are awesome
smile.gif

Thanks everyone for the input. Spending a little more now will definitely help in the future and that's what I plan on doing. Safety first.

This is a budget all season tire from Sumitomo that has been getting pretty decent reviews on TireRack...I see it on Walmart.com, too, but not in your size. Might be worth poking around for.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=16HR6HTRASP02&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I've been exceptionally pleased with Kumho and Falken.

I'll never buy cheap Goodyears ever again.

I've read some threads about Falkens blowing up. Riken Raptor as well. And no doubt others. I'd due some serious due diligence on any cheaper tire before making a purchase.

Falken failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back