Counterfeit O2 sensor?

Just saw a video where non ford brand was a ford part. If they are the OEM for Ford and it is a ford specific part its possible.

Who makes the part for Ford? And while the posting shows an NTK box, the listing is for a NTK NGK / Ford part... with No box.

Ford/Motorcraft isn't making Oxygen Sensors. They are supplied by Bosch, NTK/NGK, etc...

There are plenty of parts I've bought that were Napa or other "generic" brands, that had the manufacturer logo on the part in the box...

That being said, its ebay, and I'd just assume its a fake as a result.

Just saw a video where non ford brand was a ford part. If they are the OEM for Ford and it is a ford specific part its possible.

I really wanted to see him do the rudimentary "spark strength test" on the #4 of the second replacement ignition coil...

Rock Auto is no guarantee of getting a genuine part either. I contacted Bosch after recently getting a substituted cheaper fuel pump in a Bosch box. He said Rock Auto is not an authorized reseller of their product and can slip in what ever they want. He urged me to return it and I did. I would assume that could apply to other brands. I will not buy electrical parts from them again.

Genuine/factory/dealer parts will carry marque-branded packaging, or labeling. The individual part will bear the marque's logo, and commonly, the supplier's logo as well. The most easily observed examples of this are on glass, which will have both the marque logo, as well as that of PPG/Pilkington/Sekurit/Saint-Gobain/etc.

Parts sold under the supplier's branding will carry appropriate packaging, labeling, and in a sign they came off the same line as the geniune parts, may still bear the marque's logo, especially if the part is unique, or show obvious signs of it having been removed, leaving only the supplier's logo.

Either way, one is not advised to try to draw definitive conclusions based on an eBay listing, or its photos.

Rock Auto is no guarantee of getting a genuine part either. I contacted Bosch after recently getting a substituted cheaper fuel pump in a Bosch box. He said Rock Auto is not an authorized reseller of their product and can slip in what ever they want. He urged me to return it and I did. I would assume that could apply to other brands. I will not buy electrical parts from them again.

The advice from the Bosch rep doesn't really mean anything at all. When purchasing parts from "Rockauto," you're really purchasing automotive parts from various warehouses that are typically authorized resellers. Parts Authority and United Auto Supply are the ones I most often receive parts from, but there are several others across the US that fullfill orders for Rockauto.

Ordered one from Rock Auto Sunday and got it today. Has a sealed plastic package inside the box and no FORD brand on the part. Looks good and made in Japan.

IMG_9896.JPG

Genuine/factory/dealer parts will carry marque-branded packaging, or labeling. The individual part will bear the marque's logo, and commonly, the supplier's logo as well. The most easily observed examples of this are on glass, which will have both the marque logo, as well as that of PPG/Pilkington/Sekurit/Saint-Gobain/etc.

Parts sold under the supplier's branding will carry appropriate packaging, labeling, and in a sign they came off the same line as the geniune parts, may still bear the marque's logo, especially if the part is unique, or show obvious signs of it having been removed, leaving only the supplier's logo.

Either way, one is not advised to try to draw definitive conclusions based on an eBay listing, or its photos.
+1

examples

I just installed a fuel pressure sensor on a GTI the other day, sourced from WorldPac. It matched the OE part exactly, however you could see where the "VW/Audi" branding had been ground off. I see it all the time.

I just installed a fuel pressure sensor on a GTI the other day, sourced from WorldPac. It matched the OE part exactly, however you could see where the "VW/Audi" branding had been ground off. I see it all the time.
Yep. I've seen suspension parts on FCP sold as "Genuine BMW" and "OE" - both being identical Lemforder parts but the "OE" simply having the BMW logo/wording ground off. (price difference almost double for "Genuine".)

I'm doing tune up on. My 2008 Ford Explorer? What's the four liter V6? Has 171,000 on it? Since I'm on a limited income. I'm trying to save as much money as possible. And do the work myself. I used to be a mechanic. Replacing all the hoses. And anti freeze. Mass air flow sensor. Spark plugs and spark plug wires. Also gonna do the oxygen sensors. I ordered one of the hoses that I needed. On ebay. When I got here, I could immediately tell it wasn't the correct hose. Even though three. On the seller's ad showed that it was the correct hose. So I sent it back. Seller head the balls. To say I didn't consult them first. To see if it was the correct hose for my vehicle. And only refunded half of my money. Even though three spots in there add showed that it was the correct hose. And nowhere in their ad that they have a phone number to contact them. I immediately disputed the refund with ebay. The seller. Refuse to pay any more of the refund. So ebay. Pay the remaining. Part of the refund and made it right. I then ordered spark plugs from a different place. In the picture in their ad. It showed a box of four spark plugs. So I just thought I'd order two boxes. I only needed 6, but I thought I'd get 2 boxes and have two spare spark plugs. Just in case I would break one or two installing them. To my surprise, when I received the order, I only had two spark plugs in the box. Nowhere in their ad did it say that the price was for individual spark plugs. Once again, another rip-off seller on ebay. When I sent the order back. They refuse to refund the shipping and tax. Blamed me for their false ad. I disputed it with ebay. And ebay made up the difference. I personally called ebay and discussed this with them on the phone. About these two scammed sellers. And told them how unhappy I was about. The problems I had been having with sellers on ebay. I have a 100% score going back all the way to 2008. I told them I was thinking about not buying anything on ebay anymore. Because they're getting more and more scam sellers. So informed me they are trying hard to eliminate these poor sellers. But it's very hard. To find them . And get rid of them. As for the four oxygen sensors, I bought. They're supposed to be Bosch. But they came in a White box. It has made in China on it. So I'm beginning to believe these are not really bosch oxygen sensors. And I don't know if I should install them or send them back. Ebay used to be a good place to buy stuff. But it sure has gone downhill over the last year.

Last edited:
Back