counterfeit fridge water filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 9 year old Maytag French door fridge came with a bypass cap for the filter, I used the factory filter up, replaces it once I believe and then put in our RO system and bypassed the filter.

I am very Leary of parts on ebay, I bought some what I am almost certain were counterfeit center caps for a Toyota several years ago. Inconsequential in my case, but Id hate to buy something like a timing belt or oil filters and it ends up being counterfeit.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've had good luck buying refrigerator filters on Amazon. You just need to read all the reviews and make a decision on user's comments. Typically they are about 25%~30% of the OEM brand filters. Of course, all probably made in China.

Paying $50 a pop every 6 months for a refrigerator filter is a bit expensive for what you get.

So is having one leak all over and flood your kitchen. I have heard some stories of cheap ones leaking.

I have had issues with the filters that cost less than $45-$50 (whether counterfeit or not). We have the type that installs in the lower grille of the refrigerator and the times in the past that I've used a cheaper one we get the same black stuff in the water as you describe. Even the supposed "real" replacements (Whirlpool EveryDrop) do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Many of those refrigerators also tell you to replace the filter with so many hours on it verses how many gallons of water that has been filtered.

I don't buy into that garbage....

If I feed my fridge pure filtered water,
the expensive cartridge is just "along for the ride" and never needs to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I have the same set-up... but I use really nice filters inline before the water ever makes it to the fridge....So I never ever change the expensive cartridge in the bottom.
Just flick the lever a few times to turn the filter light green again for another 6 months or so.

Bingo
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back