Do you drink filtered water

We are on a well and here in eastern NC the water is contaminated with PFAS. Chemours up the river in Fayetteville has been pumping it into the river and ground for years. We now use a reverse osmosis for drinking water. We also had a huge two cylinder carbon system installed by Chemours to take the PFAS out of our water. It doesn't cost us anything and they come out every six months and do a water test. They just replaced the filters and they were just about a year old.

I want good tasting water to use in my SodaStream to I make Diet Pepsi.
Side note not to get too off track— I’ve been trying the soda stream syrup with different seltzer waters. Tried it with lemon lime seltzer and it was just like the old Diet Pepsi twist. Was also really good with some black cherry vanilla seltzer. Try it if you ever get curious.

Only a sediment filter on the 500' deep well. We just had the water tested for just about everything. Tastes great and no worries. We change the sediment filter quarterly.

I have been getting artesion well water in 20 gallon batches for drinking/cooking/coffee etc. The artesian well is about 20 miles away, and is a little bit of a pain to get. The water is free, and it tastes good. I used to drink the well water from our house.

I had a big blue tri filter system put in when we got the house in 2017. 1 course filter, 1 carbon block, and 1 fine filter. The water at my well is at about 160 ft they estimate. Fairly hard water. Leaves water spots. Not happy, but the water quality is improved with the filter system.
The well pump/storage tank is original from 1993. I need to get the pump replaced, along with the storage tank. At that time I would like to get a spin down filter for sediment. Maybe address the hard water? I am afraid of the sticker shock for a new pump/storage water tank I must say.

I have an old school water distiller I use to make cooling system water for cars, or water for my bpap machine for sleep therapy.

We use bottled water that is UV, filtered, RO, carbon filtered, Ozone. AND its source is tested city water for 40cents/gallon. We have been drinking it for 40 years!!

I grew up drinking faucet water and still doing it. My wife and kids yell at me I have to do it on a sneak. I knew a guy who used to bottle Brooklyn NY municipal water and sell it as spring water nobody knew the difference

I have a water well that is high in calcium carbonate, mostly from the 6,000 ft limestone mountain in the immediate water basin. I run the well water through a water softener, then through three cartridge filters, then through a reverse osmosis cartridge.

I have hard well water. Around 440 ppm and pH of 7.6. A lot of limestone it filters through. Well is 125' deep. I drink and use for cooking the hard water straight. Everything else goes though a water softener. The cats prefer the softened water to hard water but would rather drink out of a puddle over anything.

I use to have a particle filter on the water coming in. It would need changed once a month due to the 'bacterial' iron.

Forget what my well depth is. Few hundred feet. No sediment filter, and we have little sediment. I drink from the tap, just fine to me. I prefer mine lukewarm and dislike water from the fridge.

But I have picked up a taste for seltzer and have been buying a fair amount lately. Who knows where that is from.

brita water filter with a filter change every month. the woman and i drink probably a gallon of water each per day from this filter.

I have been getting artesion well water in 20 gallon batches for drinking/cooking/coffee etc. The artesian well is about 20 miles away, and is a little bit of a pain to get. The water is free, and it tastes good.
This is what I do, & sounds very similar to the one I visit north of Seattle.

I do. I think they are responsible for many health ills. We have really reduced the amount of processed foods and junk in our diet over the last couple of years.

Do you drink water that had been filtered through some means or straight out of the tap?
I drink water that has gone through a carbon filter in my fridge to reduce possible contaminants and I keep up on filter changes.
I generally avoid bottled water for various reasons.
We have good public water supply here. Some people have concerns about "forever" chemicals in the water in this area. For some it's like mass hysteria based on hysteria. I kindly tell them that every human being on earth has these chemicals in their bodies to some degree.
The reason I bring this up is because there is some in our water supply but the media blows it up because of the river it comes from.
Yet measured amounts are in the low parts per TRILLION. Every aspect of our tested water supply is boatloads lower than EPA standards.
Also because of the hysteria, to be proactive our water supply company just completed construction of a MASSIVE reverse osmosis system. So what I am trying to say is we have good water and actually tases quite good. It's a soft water, which is great for my aquarium.
I explain to them, the water and beverages they drink out of plastic bottles have boatloads more contaminates then what they think they are trying to avoid. Plastic is made from OIL, the longer a beverage sits in the plastic bottle, the more chemicals leach out. I like you avoid drinking from plastic bottles but do use them when convenient.

Ok, with that said. My whole life, just like you, I always drank filtered water. Decades back I used a filtered water pitcher and maybe 20 years ago my family always had filtered water and ice from our refrigerator. We always change the filters when we are supposed to and sometimes sooner. I make sure to buy the better density carbon filters with the proper NSF list of what it removes.

Ps. I always made sure to eat a fair amount of fruit but I too, have taken what I eat to the next level about a decade back. Processed foods are the death of us.

I used to buy bottled water but now I just use my fridge filtered water. Easier and cheaper than going to the store and trying to navigate a cart past people.
and safer... the plastic bottles leach chemicals that are worse then any tap water, throw a filter on your tap like you and others in here and it doesnt get any better.

Reactions: Pew
I'm for tap but not my wife. She insists we buy spring water for her and my son. What a crazy additional expense, they are up into the $1.40/gal range now. Just during the pandemic around 68 cents. Marketing really is powerful and leads to huge profits. On this one, even Costco can't help. Buying 3 gal of Poland Springs works out to like $1.70 or something.

can someone please give some recommendations to a grade A Luddite like myself what would be wise to look for in the fridge water filters?

I have an LG fridge and have bought the filters on amazon the cheap ones. So I’m sure they’re not great. But what can one look for? Perhaps genuine LG filter is best? Maybe I need to make sure I have a nitrile Anti “drink-back” valve? Ha

But genuinely curious. Thanks.
I typically used the refrigerator manufacturer filters because I could always find them discounted someplace.
Not so with our new LG, so for the first time I bought after market filters. The LG were stupid expensive and being I have worked with carbon in marine and freshwater aquariums for about 50 years I know how cheap carbon is and I know the mark up.

So with that said I do think there is some difference in filters overall. I have cut open past filters and meant to cut open our after market filter but threw it out by mistake, it will only be another month or two when I change it again and will cut it open but I already know it will be 100% fine. These filters are nothing more than a super dense fine tube of activated carbon. I could tell when I changed it out it was substantial.

Anyway, these are the after market I use, it even came with claimed NSF tests. IT is also the more expensive product from the same manufacturer. I am confident they do everything the OEM does if not even more.
Like I said, keep in mind like all filters, there is a cheaper version and more expensive. I choose the more expensive. "Plus" version because it is still cheap to me.
BTW- The fit is perfect and leak free. Not sure if you have the same model number but here here is a link

This is what they claim but doesnt matter, Im sure when I cut one open it will be the same carbon spool as any other OEM.
Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 11.16.39 AM.jpg

I typically used the refrigerator manufacturer filters because I could always find them discounted someplace.
Not so with our new LG, so for the first time I bought after market filters. The LG were stupid expensive and being I have worked with carbon in marine and freshwater aquariums for about 50 years I know how cheap carbon is and I know the mark up.

So with that said I do think there is some difference in filters overall. I have cut open past filters and meant to cut open our after market filter but threw it out by mistake, it will only be another month or two when I change it again and will put it open but I already know it will be 100% fine. These filters are nothing more than a super dense fine tube of activated carbon. I could tell when I changed it out it was substantial.

Anyway, these are the after market I use, it even came with claimed NSF tests. IT is also the more expensive product from the same manufacturer. I am confident they do everything the OEM does if not even more.
Like I said, keep in mind like all filters, there is a cheaper version and more expensive. I choose the more expensive. "Plus" version because it is still cheap to me.
BTW- The fit is perfect and leak free. Not sure if you have the same model number but here here is a link

This is what they claim but doesnt matter, Im sure when I cut one open it will be the same carbon spool as any other OEM.
View attachment 202964
Thanks, this makes sense. Appreciate the info and those are affordable filters. That is re-assuring. Yes we take the same filter. I'd laugh if we have the same/similar fridge. Fridge. Never had an LG appliance before but I do like ours a lot. A nice unit.

Our water supply is rated excellent. Yet still, when asked at a public forum, the staff at our small city (pop 30,000) water treatment plant stated they uniformly use filters for their own home drinking water.

So do I .

Back