Do you drink filtered water

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
Do you drink water that had been filtered through some means or straight out of the tap?
I drink water that has gone through a carbon filter in my fridge to reduce possible contaminants and I keep up on filter changes.
I generally avoid bottled water for various reasons.

Yep .... I fill my own jugs at the store . It's city water that is run thru reverse osmosis , U.V. carbon filter and a few other processes .

Well water here.

4 step treatment at point of entry.

Pressure tank to a 15 micron string wound filter > Calcite filter to correct PH> Softener to correct hardness> Combo .5 micron / carbon > into the house.

Fridge also has carbon filter.

Last edited:
Have you looked at where your filters are made or the manufacturing process?
Yes. I have spent 40 years in the water treatment industry and I only use the one that has all of the critical certifications.
I have also cut and disassembled one to verify manufacturing integrity.

Also I am on well water and correct the ph and have a 10 micron pre filter on the house. Water is naturally soft and no iron or odor.

Yes. I have spent 40 years in the water treatment industry and I only use the one that has all of the critical certifications.
I have also cut and disassembled one to verify manufacturing integrity.
So you are asking what people who don't happen to be in the water filtration business what they drink?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Nope right out of the tap. The water here in Louisville is rated very high in quality..I have no problem drinking it...

Where are the quality samples taken?

Unless that water quality is measured at your house it had to go through hundreds of miles of variably old pipes to get to you.

LA county water is also excellent at the treatment plant but the amount of sediment that I caught at point of entry was alarming. You could tell every time a repair was made upstream.

We do both, 2-stage (undersink GE FXUVC + fridges built in filter) filtered water for the fridge water dispenser/ice maker and store filled & bottled where it goes through RO, UV and carbon filtering processes.
I use a TDS meter to check the water quality. Store filled bottled water comes up to ~4ppm, filtered fridge water about ~150ppm only a slight difference from faucet water.

Reactions: 4WD
So you are asking what people who don't happen to be in the water filtration business what they drink?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
No just curious across the board what people are doing. So many different sources of water out there.

I have well water and filter it after the pressure tank and one on the kitchen faucet that goes directly into
a PUR filtered pitcher...I figure that's the best I can do. My well is over 700 ft deep...

Filtered water from the built in system the refrigerator has. I buy the OEM filter, it's on Amazon subscribe and save so they just send me one every 6 mos.

Some RO mom-pop shop refills 3 and 5 gal bottles for $0.25/gal.
Mainly because earthquake prep.

Where are the quality samples taken?

Unless that water quality is measured at your house it had to go through hundreds of miles of variably old pipes to get to you.

LA county water is also excellent at the treatment plant but the amount of sediment that I caught at point of entry was alarming. You could tell every time a repair was made upstream.
The EPA says water needs to be drawn from consumer taps at least for contaminants - such as lead or dioxins, etc.

Who's consumer tap is a most excellent question.

Back