Do you drink filtered water

I been exclusively drinking from bottled water since I like cold water and it was convenient. Mostly Costco bottles which do get filled locally so they don't sit in the bottles too long but...

I've been trying to go back to using the water from my fridge which just has a generic "PUREPLUS" filter.

My home is connected to Palm Beach Water which gets water from Ground Water ( shallow Wells) vs City of West Palm which uses Surface water.

I use filtered water for cooking and drinking, making tea and coffee. Our water comes from Lake Erie so I don't trust it. It has a lot of chlorine in it. If I fill our tub with water its noticeably blue in color.

Thinking about getting an RO system though. Those of you with RO systems what do you have or recommend?

I typically used the refrigerator manufacturer filters because I could always find them discounted someplace.
Not so with our new LG, so for the first time I bought after market filters. The LG were stupid expensive and being I have worked with carbon in marine and freshwater aquariums for about 50 years I know how cheap carbon is and I know the mark up.

So with that said I do think there is some difference in filters overall. I have cut open past filters and meant to cut open our after market filter but threw it out by mistake, it will only be another month or two when I change it again and will cut it open but I already know it will be 100% fine. These filters are nothing more than a super dense fine tube of activated carbon. I could tell when I changed it out it was substantial.

Anyway, these are the after market I use, it even came with claimed NSF tests. IT is also the more expensive product from the same manufacturer. I am confident they do everything the OEM does if not even more.
Like I said, keep in mind like all filters, there is a cheaper version and more expensive. I choose the more expensive. "Plus" version because it is still cheap to me.
BTW- The fit is perfect and leak free. Not sure if you have the same model number but here here is a link

This is what they claim but doesnt matter, Im sure when I cut one open it will be the same carbon spool as any other OEM.
View attachment 202964

In checking my current fridge filter, I see it only claims NSF 42 certification. I just ordered a different model specific unit of the filter you linked which has NSF 42, 53 & 401 certs. Big difference in filtration claims. Thanks.

Edit: From NSF site:

Last edited:
In checking my current fridge filter, I see it only claims NSF 42 certification. I just ordered a different model specific unit of the filter you linked which has NSF 42, 53 & 401 certs. Big difference in filtration claims. Thanks.

Edit: From NSF site:

Thanks for the post, I found your link interesting and once I read over it I remember, looking at those certifications, as I was examining at the time what the OEM filters claimed and I wanted if I was to get an after market, the replacement to be the same or better.

I did notice MANY of the less expensive filters do not carry that certification and even the company I buy from has the same filter in a dumbed down version for less money. This isnt a knock on the filter maker though, even OEMs have lessor filters.
Nothing wrong with that, but like all filters I want the one most effective. With the pricing the way it is, to me it's a home run, I want the best filter at the best price, not the lower rated filters at the best price.

Ours is filtered through at least 100' of sand and clay before it comes out of the well into the glass. Our water is a bit hard so we run a softener, but the cold water taps to the kitchen, and bathrooms, are straight out of the well.

We distil our water. It's slow and expensive but we end up with pure H2O. You should see the much that is left behind even if you use filtered water.

I use filtered water for cooking and drinking, making tea and coffee. Our water comes from Lake Erie so I don't trust it. It has a lot of chlorine in it. If I fill our tub with water its noticeably blue in color.

Thinking about getting an RO system though. Those of you with RO systems what do you have or recommend?
Lake Eerie is a far better source than the agricultural runoff that is fed to most of the country.

This one is similar to mine. The filter cartridges are much easier to replace than the type used in most RO systems. I've had my system for about 25 years. I only replace the pre and post filters once a year and the RO membrane every five years. I've been buying my replacement filters from Kleenwater for at least five years.

Lake Eerie is a far better source than the agricultural runoff that is fed to most of the country.
I just think about all the stuff thats been dumped in that lake over the years. The famous burning Cuyahoga river dumps into it. Every time Cleveland get heavy rain the waste water treatment plants get over whelmed and discharge the water into the lake. There is a lot of agricultural land around here that is in the lake erie watershed too.

From a city water perspective - one standard 4.5x10" housing (blue housing in middle pict) can provide greater or equal filtration to what a fridge filter has, but can deliver it for the whole house.

The NSF Fridge filter is rated for 125-200 gallons and is about 40 bucks.

The NSF rated Pentair High Flow carbon/ sediment combo is good for 25K gallons or more, has enough flow to service (my) entire house, while offering tighter .5 micron filtration and is about 45 bones. It's got a comparatively whopping amount of carbon using a proprietary molded process.

If you have decent city water you wont plug one of these for a long time while giving your house the same treatment as the fridge.

If you have a well a sediment filter another housing after the pressure tank will extend the downstream filters life substantially.

Ive grow to prefer string filters for the first level of sediment removal and find them to be the most convenient and best for this particular task.
You can get them in basically any micron, dual density, carbon impregnated, or silver impregnated for antibacterial properties.
They offer the bonus of being able to inspect the depth of sediment penetration by observing the movements of the dirt through the windings.
Its a bit after the fact (unless you replace the old filter and run it longer) but it gives you an idea of what been coming into the system from the city or your well and adjust going forward.

IMG_5224.jpeg
IMG_5226.jpeg
IMG_4921.jpeg

Last edited:
Have an incorporated filter in the door of our fridge/freezer, along with an ice dispenser. Can easily taste the difference in my area between filtered and tap water although the city tells us the water quality is excellent. Judging from the calcium deposits on some of the appliance heater elements we definitely live in a high calcium area.
I ran a line from our reverse osmosis system to our ice maker. Cleanest water out of the ice maker ever.

I drank well water all of my life.
As a kid unfiltered hard well water.
My water is filtered like I stated above but it is so soft and bland.

Like a flat soda...
I think the bottled water has a bunch of minerals added and I got used to that. Deerpark taste the best to me

Guys that are on city water are almost always going to be fine chemically.

That said - it's loaded with "stuff" and sediment in it.

You may not see it, but it's there, and if you put a filter you can inspect at the point of entry, you will absolutely see whats being going into your house, and you.

I remember as a kid moving from Hawaii to Seattle back in 1973. I drank the tap water in Seattle, and it seemed like it was chilled fridge water. Tasted better, and colder than the Big island. Been drinking tap water most of my life. Until about 2016 when I got a house with a well.

Back