Costco - Castrol EDGE with Titanium 0W-20 (Black Bottle) - Toyota Highlander 2023 2.4T

Hey Everyone,

We have traded our Rav4 for the new Highlander with 2.4 Turbo engine. I am just wondering which oil to choose. I was either looking at Mobil1, Penzoil Ultra Penzoil or Toyota OEM oil, however in Costco I have noticed that they Castrol EDGE (Titanium) 0W-20 in black bottles. I was never a fun of Castrol, till we moved to Canada I was only using Fuchs oil on my cars which were mostly Mercedes.

Back in the day there was a lot of different stories about Castrol including the one that it makes the engine yellowish inside after some time of use or some stories regarding engine sludge which I do not want to believe in to be honest unless you have go over your oil change intervals etc,

I had a quick look at the product data cards and it looks like that Castrol EDGE 0W-20 has the highest flash point out of all of them which is 225C, considering it is a Turbo engine I think it is a plus. Can you make some recommendations?

IMO, unless you plan to use a boutique oil like HPL, Amsoil, etc, just use whatever oil meets spec and is on sale/rebate. Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil 1, parts store rebrands, etc are all solid performers and will not sludge your engine as long as you change oil and filter as recommended in the owner's manual.

And Castrol won't make your engine any yellower than the others!:LOL:

great, thank you for the replies. Castrol is easy to get as they have it on the shelf in Costco packed 3x5L for a good price.

To get Penzoil or Mobil you have to wait for sale. I always prefer to get stuck to one brand only.

I will either get Castrol, Penzoil or Moibl1 :) I could not complain on Penzoil at all which was used in our Rav4 :) I might stay with them.

IMO, unless you plan to use a boutique oil like HPL, Amsoil, etc, just use whatever oil meets spec and is on sale/rebate. Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil 1, parts store rebrands, etc are all solid performers and will not sludge your engine as long as you change oil and filter as recommended in the owner's manual.

And Castrol won't make your engine any yellower than the others!:LOL:
Absolutely correct... although I would say that as a practical matter, I would bet there are no benefits to moving to the boutique oils!

Absolutely correct... although I would say that as a practical matter, I would bet there are no benefits to moving to the boutique oils!

Agree. On the new car use an oil that meets certs and you're good to go. If you have a 20 year old work truck that you we want to post on bitog about every month than a boutique oil is apparently perfect for that ;)

(regarding our Hyundai 2.4 GDI)....
I am a fan of the gold bottle Castrol EP. But not the black bottle.
There was a significant difference in what drained out between the two and I only do 3k OCIs.
Also a significant different in how the dipstick oil looked after only 1k.

I noticed big differences when testing Supertech Syn (default) vs Supertech Advanced.
I ended-up draining the Supertech 5k oil after only about 700 miles of use. Never seen a high volume sales synthetic motor oil look so bad, after so little use.

The HyunKia four cylinder Theta 2 engines make great visual-smell testers of motor oil. Not intended as a joke either.

Last edited:
Toyota isn't too picky with oil requirements for the T24A-FTS engine. API SP and 0w20.

That being said though, the TGMO (made by Exxon-mobil) has a lot of Moly and Boron, that most off-the-shelf oil can't match unless you go with a boutique oil like HPL

great, thank you for the replies. Castrol is easy to get as they have it on the shelf in Costco packed 3x5L for a good price.

To get Penzoil or Mobil you have to wait for sale. I always prefer to get stuck to one brand only.
In that case I would choose Castrol!

Hey Everyone,

We have traded our Rav4 for the new Highlander with 2.4 Turbo engine. I am just wondering which oil to choose. I was either looking at Mobil1, Penzoil Ultra Penzoil or Toyota OEM oil, however in Costco I have noticed that they Castrol EDGE (Titanium) 0W-20 in black bottles. I was never a fun of Castrol, till we moved to Canada I was only using Fuchs oil on my cars which were mostly Mercedes.

Back in the day there was a lot of different stories about Castrol including the one that it makes the engine yellowish inside after some time of use or some stories regarding engine sludge which I do not want to believe in to be honest unless you have go over your oil change intervals etc,

I had a quick look at the product data cards and it looks like that Castrol EDGE 0W-20 has the highest flash point out of all of them which is 225C, considering it is a Turbo engine I think it is a plus. Can you make some recommendations?
Is there language in the manual that you can use heavier oil in case of heavy-duty usage?

Is there language in the manual that you can use heavier oil in case of heavy-duty usage?
Not in Canadian version at least. It is just saying that 5w-20 can be used instead but then it should changed to 0w-20 - I was thinking to use 0w-30 during spring and summer time as we are planning to travel to the warmer parts of NA during this time. I need to research this more :)

Not in Canadian version at least. It is just saying that 5w-20 can be used instead but then it should changed to 0w-20 - I was thinking to use 0w-30 during spring and summer time as we are planning to travel to the warmer parts of NA during this time. I need to research this more :)
I would use Euro 0W30 or 5W30, but that is me.

Reactions: 4WD
I use the same Castrol in my 2017 Camry along with the OEM filter
Do you use it since it was new? How is the cold starting on this oil? When I watched some cold flow test Castrol was not performing that well :(

A little yellow better than loads of black sluge.
Change oil regularly and you won't have problems with any in spec oils
I personally would find a heavy weight syn 0w 20 and use it.

Back