Designed for 0w-20 but 5w-30 is recommended?

Many different temperatures inside the engine and one factor to consider to have a higher viscosity is a turbo. Just a guess but maybe the GM engineer is considering that.

I recently bought a 23 Colorado ZR2 which has the 2.7L Turbo engine and did a bit of research on the engine before purchase. So far I'm impressed with the engine.

I was watching a YT video of an interview with one of the GM engineers that developed the engine. One of the comments he made was that the engine was designed to run on 0w-20 oil but they recommend 5w-30 for increased protection and longevity. I thought that was interesting and it goes along with my general thoughts on oil viscosity.

View attachment 195752
Link to the video?

I recently bought a 23 Colorado ZR2 which has the 2.7L Turbo engine and did a bit of research on the engine before purchase. So far I'm impressed with the engine.

I was watching a YT video of an interview with one of the GM engineers that developed the engine. One of the comments he made was that the engine was designed to run on 0w-20 oil but they recommend 5w-30 for increased protection and longevity. I thought that was interesting and it goes along with my general thoughts on oil viscosity.

View attachment 195752
How does one design an engine to run a specific oil viscosity? Chevy probably knows these engines will see a lot of fleet use, 5w30 would definitely be readily available in fleet garages I know the fleet shop at my job has not one ounce of 0w20 around. And most truck owners don’t care about fuel economy or ride with the bigger is better mentality. Dumb of a Chevy engineer to say designed to run but smart to cover all question of doubt. How many will question 5w30 isn’t enough and have to run a 5w40 or 15w40

Omg, omg, OMG!

He said it out loud!

CAFE police are gonna come and git that Gee Eminem injuneer and carry him away!

Luchansky: "So just provides a little more, a little bit more resistance, uh, you know, a little better capability for the bearings"

Yep, I wanna some mo' 'o that re-zis-tents !

Sock it to me!

Last edited:
How does one design an engine to run a specific oil viscosity? Chevy probably knows these engines will see a lot of fleet use, 5w30 would definitely be readily available in fleet garages I know the fleet shop at my job has not one ounce of 0w20 around. And most truck owners don’t care about fuel economy or ride with the bigger is better mentality. Dumb of a Chevy engineer to say designed to run but smart to cover all question of doubt. How many will question 5w30 isn’t enough and have to run a 5w40 or 15w40
Sad but true… Personally think going over car manufactured recommended viscosity is kinda stupid. Except when you add a turbo to the engine. That throws the same engine into a higher oil viscosity.

Omg, omg, OMG!

He said it out loud!

CAFE police are gonna come and git that Gee Eminem injuneer and carry him away!

Luchansky: "So just provides a little more, a little bit more resistance, uh, you know, a little better capability for the bearings"

Yep, I wanna some mo' 'o that re-zis-tents !

Sock it to me!
Calm down Ken - they are watching 👀

Sad but true… Personally think going over car manufactured recommended viscosity is kinda stupid. Except when you add a turbo to the engine. That throws the same engine into a higher oil viscosity.
Think what you like - don’t care …

🫨not necessarily there’s turbocharged engines using 0w20 with fine results.

🫨not necessarily there’s turbocharged engines using 0w20 with fine results.
Just thinking about Mazda… (I like them) Add a turbo to same engine and they go from 0w20 to 5w30. As far as a modern engine with variable or pulsed output oil pumps controlled by ECM and VVT I prefer not to shoot from the hip.

Last edited:
Just thinking about Mazda… (I like them) Add a turbo to same engine and they go from 0w20 to 5w30. As far as a modern engine with variable or pulsed output oil pumps controlled by ECM and VVT I prefer not to shoot from the hip.
Why do you think they go that route? Playing it safe or that engine is being stressed bolting a turbo on? If it weren’t being stressed they could have just dropped to a shorter oci. Volvo played it safe they had a 2.5t then the t5 which dropped displacement to 2.3 for a more jerked up turbo.

Why do you think they go that route? Playing it safe or that engine is being stressed bolting a turbo on? If it weren’t being stressed they could have just dropped to a shorter oci. Volvo played it safe they had a 2.5t then the t5 which dropped displacement to 2.3 for a more jerked up turbo.
Just thinking from my view. The turbo increases the load on the main bearings. Maybe secondary the oil temperature at the turbo bearings.

If it's "designed for whatever w-20 oil" then the max temperature of the oil should never exceed something like 85c.

The best oil to run with AFM is don't buy an AFM engine and of you do delete the AFM.

View attachment 195752
Of course, the 20W oils are a political choice, not a scientific one, my car is recommended 5-20W on the oil cap and I put 0-30W right after bought it, I can feel the difference in the high RPM the engine is quieter, less metallic noise.

Back