Cordless lawn mowers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
...replacement (spare) batteries cost as much as a replacement engine.

Intuitively, I figured that those higher voltage Li batteries would be expensive to replace. I've been using 20V B&D string trimmer and blower for a number of years and I've spent about $200 in total for replacement batteries, though, the newer ones offer greater capacity at lower cost. A lot easier and cleaner than even my previous four-stroke TroyBilt appliance. The corded electric mower, if your yard is appropriate for one, has a very low TCO over its life span. The one I had for eleven years never needed a new blade. The two replacement extension cords needed during the time period cost a total of $80. I'm still using the second one with my new mower that cost $140.

no way a battery mower is going to last as long as my gas 6.5hp briggs. I am on year 18 with no issues, no oil changes in 14 years. Same spark plug and air filter.

Well, got the Honda mower this weekend. Pretty nice. Not crazy about the auto throttle, but seems to be how everything is nowadays. First time I've had a mower that will pop wheelies....that self propelled max setting simply hauls. I also got the cordless Ryobi 40 trimmer....that thing is the BOMBARAMA!!!!! So quiet, trims great and super light.

there are pros and cons.

cordless ones are a lot quieter and don't need the headphones. and don't focus on
the voltage - look at the wattage - a 56v 2amp battery won't last as long as a
40V 5 amp battery.

cordless are lighter and are optionally available with self-propelled with fast/slow
speed control. good for geezers and guys with back problems.

go cheap? buy (lightly or recently new) used corded. mount car inverter
(do the calculation) and used car battery (mount securely). the 12v car battery
is upconverted from 12v dc to 120v AC. with 12v 80 amp battery you get almost
1000w. might have to push hard.

if you can find a late model lead acid cordless, you can find computer UPS batteries
inside the pullout battery (usually 2 for 24v, 3 for 36v - at 10ah)- these will be
cheap at $60 for 3 every 5-7 years and gives you 360 watts per charge.

if you're into environmental conservation, it is alleged that gas lawn mowers
use about 200 million gallons per year.

You can buy a quality Honda, 1 pull start, gas variable speed drive mower for $500 at Home Depot which will last a decade and of course watch for sales at any place sometimes $100 less. Never have to worry about the battery getting low.

I like the attraction of electric but its just not there yet for me. Maybe it will be on the day they prove to last a decade or more without replacing an EXPENSIVE battery that cost the same as if you replaced a gas mower engine (which one never does)

I think the day, that we see companies like Honda, Toro ect come out with electrics will be the day the technology has matured enough.

With that said, if I had a really small lawn to cut, sure, why not, would most likely buy an electric today.

I could care less about environmental conservation, what a freaking joke that statement is in regard to a lawnmower. Never mind the waste from Lithium ... and .... Fake news, always is, more so when trying to sell you a product, same as solar power, MUCH more pollution then nuclear power but we will deal with that too, when the time comes.
Also makes me wonder how many people know, those shiny new solar panels people put on the roof of their home are just about used up/dead/no good in 15 to 20 years, now what do you do with the toxic waster from them, gosh, the darn roof lasts longer then the panels.

Click here on nuclear power _

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back