Collard greens

My girlfriends mom makes them and the girlfriend does also. How do you folks make them? I’m in love with them to be honest; very nutritious and tasty. Same with grits and black eye peas. Let’s discuss

Thank You all

I prefer sautéeing collard greens. I soak them in water for about 10 minutes then cook them till tender, which can take a while. You can also boil or steam them. In that case, you don't have to soak them first. An often overlooked green leaf vegetable that is very tasty and tender is beet greens. Buy your beets with the greens attached and use the greens.

Buy them fresh and wash thoroughly to get the dirt and bugs off. Strip the green parts off the more fibrous parts and put into a nice big stock pot. I add some water (not much) and chicken stock+crumbled leftover from breakfast bacon , some Cajun seasoning and a bit of hot sauce. Simmer till tender. Add fried catfish, hush puppies and coleslaw for sides. Sweet tea or draft beer and you got yourself a real meal even a Yankee would appreciate.

Ça c'est bon

collards.jpg

I prefer sautéeing collard greens. I soak them in water for about 10 minutes then cook them till tender, which can take a while. You can also boil or steam them. In that case, you don't have to soak them first. ...
+1 to that. Collards are one of my favorite greens, packed with calcium and several other nutrients, and fiber. I sometimes use them in recipes instead of spinach or kale when I want that bigger bolder collard flavor.

My grandfather was from Georgia and I learned pigs feet, collard greens, and black eyed peas from him. Collard and black eyed peas still a big favorite of mine. Have to have it every New Years' day for good luck.

Washed collards
Water
Heaping Teaspoon Salt
Smoked hog jowls
1 Tablespoon sugar
A healthy shot of Louisiana Hot Sauce
Cook until tender and cut up with kitchen shears
Eat
Now that’s the correct way I was told to make em’

Sorry vavavroom; greens don’t get “sautéed”

Or to be blunt I wouldn’t eat em’ like that

My normal prep is about the same as for mustard greens, kale, or spinach (though spinach cooks faster):

1) Dice and fry bacon in large pot, remove bacon, leave bacon grease in pot.

2) Saute diced onions until golden brown, drain grease off

3) Add 1/2 cube chicken bullion dissolved in 1/2 cup water (or chicken broth if I happened to have some left over), diced garlic, and diced collard green stems. Cover pot, simmer 5 minutes

4) Add collard green leaves, cover pot, steam 10 minutes. Check and add water if a leaky lid causes too much water loss. I don't want a lot of broth left over but don't want it boiling dry and burning on the bottom.

5) Serve with bacon sprinkled on top, and a little vinegar, mustard, or hot sauce to taste

My grandfather was from Georgia and I learned pigs feet, collard greens, and black eyed peas from him. Collard and black eyed peas still a big favorite of mine. Have to have it every New Years' day for good luck.
How's that been working out for you?

Sweetie liked her greens sautéd in oil with garlic and served with a lightly fried egg. I prefer mine braised in stock with garlic and red pepper of some sort and served over grits or with cornmeal.

How's that been working out for you?

Sweetie liked her greens sautéd in oil with garlic and served with a lightly fried egg. I prefer mine braised in stock with garlic and red pepper of some sort and served over grits or with cornmeal.

Just 1 factor but so far so good. Life has been really good to me for the first 50 years.

I love collards.

I grow massive quantities, blanch and freeze them.

I don't add sugar to any recipes, that's for sure. But otherwise cook up so healthy and tasty.

Collard greens and candy corn are the two state vegetables of West Virginia according to westvirginia.gov.

My girlfriends mom makes them and the girlfriend does also. How do you folks make them? I’m in love with them to be honest; very nutritious and tasty. Same with grits and black eye peas. Let’s discuss

Thank You all
I make a soup - mixed with other greens. It is indeed very delicious.

Love them cooked with a smoked ham bone and chunks of ham. Black eyed peas, cornbread, and onions and that’s as good a meal as any 5 star restaurant in my book. My FIL always had the hot pepper infused vinegar that added the heat. Had many of his meals throughout the 40+ years I had the privilege of knowing him. I’ll always have fond memories about his collard green meals. He cooked his collards outside with a camp stove in a giant pot. Him and my dad always said “they ain’t good until the first frost”.

I’ve been in Florida for the past week. I had collard greens on the way down here and my 18 year old son almost fell out of his chair when I poured vinegar over them. Tasty.
Had black eyed peas with dinner last night.

Back