Claims for 5w30 not being tested at 5w20?

Now i know the most common oil is still 5w30, but so many are moving to 5w20 now, but i keep seeing the major oil brands making their claims on testing Vs. anything, but it's all based on their 5w30 (and they make sure that's noted) for things like sheer/film strength etc.

Have any brands started being more comprehensive? or can 5w20 not make that spec they state?

Now i know the most common oil is still 5w30, but so many are moving to 5w20 now, but i keep seeing the major oil brands making their claims on testing Vs. anything, but it's all based on their 5w30 (and they make sure that's noted) for things like sheer/film strength etc.

Have any brands started being more comprehensive? or can 5w20 not make that spec they state?
What spec?

Your questions don't make any sense.

Sorry, i'm referring to their claims of higher shear*, and highest resistance to x that you see.

1595720749281.png

* Edited for dumbassery.

Last edited:
5W-30 is going to be more shear prone than 5W-20. This allows them to show a larger differential than testing against less shear prone 5W-20 reference oils.

Ack, my bad, i'll add that to break/brake and manuel and manual that annoy the heck out of me when i see it posted :D

So, also dumb moment, i hadn't thought about the shear being less of an issue, i think i was confusing it with film strength.

The little 3.5 Lexus v6 in my tacoma doesn’t really care. 5w30 RGT in it for about 3750 so far. Following Havoline pro DS 10w30.. no difference. Following M1 0w40 no difference. With intemitant 0w20 dealer changes..no difference.
I don’t think in my expirience with this engine that anything in 0w20-15w40 is to display performance that is much different.

As I've written before, really smart people at API develop specs for oil. If the oil meets those specs, it's good enough for me. Anything better than the spec is great but I've never seen any data that it will make my engine last longer or run better.

As I've written before, really smart people at API develop specs for oil. If the oil meets those specs, it's good enough for me. Anything better than the spec is great but I've never seen any data that it will make my engine last longer or run better.
Oh for sure, what i'm getting at here is that their claims etc. are all tied to the one viscosity, so i wanted to know if that meant the other viscosities perhaps weren't up to the same claims?

As the 20 grade oils improve, so do the other grades, 30, 40 grade, etc. so it's not like those grades are frozen in time.

20 years ago the move to 5w20 began but over the past decade more and more have been moving to 0w20 and frankly I find it to be a generally superior viscosity.

It seem to do quite well in the Corolla last winter. Yes it was superior on my wallet at $4 a Jug Sale/rebate.

The way I understand it is for example, between a 0W20 & 5W20(both being a synthetic based oils), the 0W will be using a higher/better base stock of oil compared to the 5W?
And the reason that I said, ^^^"both being synthetic" is because as we all know, the 5W20 is also available in conventional whereas the 0W20 is usually a full synthetic(with few exceptions-which could be a blend).

Last edited:
Back