Castrol Edge 5W30 vs M1 EP 5W30 - what is the 'better' oil?

hello! i know i am not comparing apples to apples but walmart has both of these 5w30 for a similar price so i wanted to ask which is the 'better' oil out of the two? like which one is more synthetic / better lubrication? or is it impossible to tell. I know sometimes we can compare base oil / pao / ester. does anyone know which one has a better base oil / etc? I am just choosing the better oil, i won't be running super long oci's so that does not matter to me.

i also would be willing to use 0W30 M1 AFE but i think its easier to compare 5w30 vs 5w30, or is the 0w30 afe way better then these oils? if so, then i could just end the discussion there
how can i go abouts comparing these oil for me to make the decision on which is 'better" ? or is there a way to compare HTHS for these? maybe that is easier way to see which is better?

thanks!

**** so is it all just assumption then? i could be wrong seems like msds doesnt show much and i can't seem to find HTHS for these unless im wrong, how can we even get this info, or is everyone in same boat as me?

any chance 0w30 m1 afe be better then these other 5w30 or is it all same thing basically?

i think i am leaning towards castrol due to the tiny amount of titanium, maybe it is of benefit? unless someone can point out m1 ep superiorities

hello! i know i am not comparing apples to apples but walmart has both of these 5w30 for a similar price so i wanted to ask which is the 'better' oil out of the two? like which one is more synthetic / better lubrication? or is it impossible to tell. I know sometimes we can compare base oil / pao / ester. does anyone know which one has a better base oil / etc? I am just choosing the better oil, i won't be running super long oci's so that does not matter to me.

i also would be willing to use 0W30 M1 AFE but i think its easier to compare 5w30 vs 5w30, or is the 0w30 afe way better then these oils? if so, then i could just end the discussion there
how can i go abouts comparing these oil for me to make the decision on which is 'better" ? or is there a way to compare HTHS for these? maybe that is easier way to see which is better?

thanks!

Paralysis by analysis……..

Just pick one!

And since you won’t be running super long OCIs it won’t matter to me, either.

**** so is it all just assumption then? i could be wrong seems like msds doesnt show much and i can't seem to find HTHS for these unless im wrong, how can we even get this info, or is everyone in same boat as me?

any chance 0w30 m1 afe be better then these other 5w30 or is it all same thing basically?

i think i am leaning towards castrol due to the tiny amount of titanium, maybe it is of benefit? unless someone can point out m1 ep superiorities

Your question has been answered a number of times on various threads but yet, here we are.

So you are looking at regular Edge vs M1 EP? If so, I'd go with M1 EP. If you meant the EP version of both oils, then I wouldn't have a preference.

yeah exactly! however since im not running a long interval im still tryna figure if the 'ep' is still gonna beat the regular edge 5w30
So you are looking at regular Edge vs M1 EP? If so, I'd go with M1 EP. If you meant the EP version of both oils, then I wouldn't have a preference.

20220907_220159.jpg

And 'Fugetaboutit...

Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-30 is also available at walmart for similar price, has 3.2 hths but not sure if it is superior to above​

Can also get hands on Valvoline 5w30 extended protection at walmart for similar price, also has a 3.2 hths

Last edited:
yeah exactly! however since im not running a long interval im still tryna figure if the 'ep' is still gonna beat the regular edge 5w30
There was a VOA of M1EP and M1AFE and the AFE actually looked better - if your a believer that the inexpensive oil analysis is accurate. I realize thats not exactly what you asked but your OP was regarding M1EP as well.

However as mentioned, given your OCI its doubtful the add pack of any oil would be used up

Between Castrol Edge 5W-30 and M1 EP 5W-30, I'll pick M1 EP 10W-30. 🏁

If you like moly, another good oil is Valvoline EP 5W-30.

ahah what r u running it in? im down south so 10w is doable but still scared to since everyone seems to rock 0w/5w

I've ran it in all my cars from new to very old. Not a drop burns! It's one of my favorite oils.

Most don't need 0W but it's fashionable ... unless you are chasing some Euro spec. If it's that cold, get a block heater in addition to 0W.

M1 EP 10W does the job especially down south. Low Noack, low vii. Very clean engine! I also use Valvoline EP when I need some moly. Both are in $30 range per 5 qt. and not the cheapest.

if you are scared of 10W and/or want to chase 0W ... M1 0W-40 is cheaper than both and meets bunch of fancy Euro specs.

Back