Chevy, Dogde, or Ford??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

You don't like rams, that's ok. Everyone is different. But for every Chrysler with an issue, I can pull up models of fords and chevys with issues as well. No manufacturer is immune, and they all have fan boys.

Didn't take long. Long term dependability is where Mopar falls flat on its face. Pretty much always has and probably always will. Has nothing to do with acceleration (my Ecoboost F150 will beat both), has nothing to do with ride (Rams ride nice but the 1500's have the lowest payload #s of them all) but how it holds up after 30, 50,75 100, 150, 200k. That's where Chrysler bombs.

And it's not just me saying it - it's darn near every surgery of long term dependability. Over hundreds of thousands of vehicles. You can't ignore that type of data no matter what it says.

When 1 data point says something, it's easy to dismiss. When it's a pattern that they all say the same thing you can put a lot of weight into it. For every Chrysler vehicle there are better and more dependable options out there. During Motor Trend's latest round of truck testing, the Ram was the only one that broke during testing!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

That can't be. The Mopar guys are always saying how ultra reliable they are and that those that say different have it all wrong.

Go to the Silverado forums and to the Ram forums and see who has more problems. The chevy's will have far more owner complaints.

I test drove them both on overnight test drives. I don't have an allegiance to any car company. The Ram 5.7 and the Silverado 5.3 extended cab where my choices.

The Ram had a better ride, got the same gas mileage, a slightly larger interior (atleast it seemed) and blew the doors off the chevy in acceleration.

You don't like rams, that's ok. Everyone is different. But for every Chrysler with an issue, I can pull up models of fords and chevys with issues as well. No manufacturer is immune, and they all have fan boys.

The new Silverado/Sierra 1500's are having significant issues. The major issue with no known solution is major vibration issues. There are a significant number of buybacks being discussed due to this issue alone.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

The new Silverado/Sierra 1500's are having significant issues. The major issue with no known solution is major vibration issues. There are a significant number of buybacks being discussed due to this issue alone.

This seems to be an issue with pickups, when I had my F-150 it was a common complaint on the board there. Mine was fine, but some people had it from new and even after throwing every part on the shelf at it some were never able to get rid of it.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
A lot of general comments here, but between the current big 3 -- if you are able to live with the reduced payload capacity, the RAM is the best riding (and driving) truck between the 3. No question...

I agree...but all of these J.D. Power Initial Quality comparisons do not mean squat to me. I want to see a Ram, Chevy, Ford and Toyota at 200,000 miles and ten years and then see which is better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude

This seems to be an issue with pickups, when I had my F-150 it was a common complaint on the board there. Mine was fine, but some people had it from new and even after throwing every part on the shelf at it some were never able to get rid of it.

good read from a Chevy truck board.

Didn't take long. Long term dependability is where Mopar falls flat on its face. Pretty much always has and probably always will. Has nothing to do with acceleration (my Ecoboost F150 will beat both), has nothing to do with ride (Rams ride nice but the 1500's have the lowest payload #s of them all) but how it holds up after 30, 50,75 100, 150, 200k. That's where Chrysler bombs.

And it's not just me saying it - it's darn near every surgery of long term dependability. Over hundreds of thousands of vehicles. You can't ignore that type of data no matter what it says.

When 1 data point says something, it's easy to dismiss. When it's a pattern that they all say the same thing you can put a lot of weight into it. For every Chrysler vehicle there are better and more dependable options out there. During Motor Trend's latest round of truck testing, the Ram was the only one that broke during testing!

I know two people with ecoboosts that have had heads replaced due to carbon issues. Both got [censored] gas mileage. For pretty much every ford you can find a more dependable vehicle as well. The 2002 and 2004 ford explorer are two vehicles in the top list on autobeef.com with issues. Also the ford v8 Engines spitting plugs out over the last decade. Want to bring up Chrysler transmission issues from the 90's to early 2000's? How many ford Taurus transmissions went out?

I've owned all three trucks from the big three, this is by far the best I've owned, in my opinion. Others I'm sure think different.

I can find just as many high mileage Rams as you can f150s. Trash talk all you want and call me a fan boy because I own a Ram instead of a ford. YOU are a ford fan boy. That likes to trash talk people who don't like the same truck you do. You just make yourself look like a fool. Don't like a brand that's fine. But don't act like yours is "better" because you say so.

I know two people with ecoboosts that have had head replaced due to carbon issues. Both got [censored] gas mileage. For pretty much every ford you can find a more dependable vehicle as well. The 2004 f150 and ford explorer are two vehicles in the top list on autobeef.com with issues. Engines spitting plugs out. Want to bring up Chrysler transmission issues from the 90's to early 2000's? How many for Taurus transmissions went out?

I've owned all three trucks from the big three, this is by far the best I've owned.

I can find just as many high mileage Rams as you can f150s. Trash talk all you want and call me a fan boy because I own a Ram instead of a ford. YOU are a ford fan boy. That likes to trash talk people who don't like the same truck you do. You just make yourself look like a fool.

I've owned Ford vehicles all my life and I grew up in a Ford family. My dad has two Ford vehicles currently (and I'm down to one). However, we aren't brand bigots. My dad was incredibly fond of my M5 (as was I) and was first shocked that I traded it in on the Charger. Then he got a ride in the Charger. He could not get over how nice it was (and he is also quite fond of my wife's Charger). He immediately understood why I liked it.

We have a number of RAM trucks at work (and a number of Ford's). They were purchased because they were a better deal than the Ford trucks and have generally held up just fine (though I find the V6 one, and there is only one, under powered) other than the tranny going out of the oldest one (at around 240,000Km) which was an '07 "heavy" half ton with the 5.7L.

Which brings me to my biggest issue with Dodge and that is that their transmissions generally freak me out. Even in the trucks some of them have been fragile. On the other hand, anything that got the Mercedes-sourced NAG-1 (like our Chargers and other vehicles in the Chrysler line-up) are generally problem-free in that area.

And this brings me to why we still hold onto the Expedition. It has been bulletproof and until it isn't there is no reason to even consider getting rid of it. And that has been my experience with Ford's, and why we've had so many of them.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

I drive a Silverado so I'm not against GM. I've been following the vibration issue from the beginning. The vibration thread is now 390 pages long. The no vibration thread is 9 pages. There are people who report going for a test drive and testing multiple ones on the lot and most vibrate. The problem is that most only vibrate near 70mph which is not always common in a test drive.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I've owned Ford vehicles all my life and I grew up in a Ford family. My dad has two Ford vehicles currently (and I'm down to one). However, we aren't brand bigots. My dad was incredibly fond of my M5 (as was I) and was first shocked that I traded it in on the Charger. Then he got a ride in the Charger. He could not get over how nice it was (and he is also quite fond of my wife's Charger). He immediately understood why I liked it.

We have a number of RAM trucks at work (and a number of Ford's). They were purchased because they were a better deal than the Ford trucks and have generally held up just fine (though I find the V6 one, and there is only one, under powered) other than the tranny going out of the oldest one (at around 240,000Km) which was an '07 "heavy" half ton with the 5.7L.

Which brings me to my biggest issue with Dodge and that is that their transmissions generally freak me out. Even in the trucks some of them have been fragile. On the other hand, anything that got the Mercedes-sourced NAG-1 (like our Chargers and other vehicles in the Chrysler line-up) are generally problem-free in that area.

And this brings me to why we still hold onto the Expedition. It has been bulletproof and until it isn't there is no reason to even consider getting rid of it. And that has been my experience with Ford's, and why we've had so many of them.

I like F150's, I like Silverado's. We just got rid of two Grand Marquis for the vehicles we have now. My 2006 was bullit proof the whole time I owned it. The 2004 was riddled with issues it seems the whole time we had it. Issues with the A/C system, the rear end, ball joints (3 sets), drive shaft. Pretty much the same car, maintained the same. Two outcomes.

I shopped probably 3 months for a truck before getting the
ram. At the time ford didn't want to deal. Plus the 5.0 didn't have the grunt that I wanted. Chevy was close in price, but I liked the Ram better.

Heck, we got my wife a Hyundai! Couldn't believe it until we signed the line! lol. Shopped for around a month for it. No one came close to what you got for the money. I'm sure people will dislike them too.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

I drive a Silverado so I'm not against GM. I've been following the vibration issue from the beginning. The vibration thread is now 390 pages long. The no vibration thread is 9 pages. There are people who report going for a test drive and testing multiple ones on the lot and most vibrate. The problem is that most only vibrate near 70mph which is not always common in a test drive.

We ran from one chevy dealer when the manager said he didn't know what I was talking about when asked about the vibration issues.

One thing ITguy always forgets is stats are only applicable to a GROUP, not an individual vehicle.

We buy what we like. After driving and keeping overnight or longer (no 20 minute test drives here) all of the big 3 it was easy. RAM just flat killed them. Not by a little either.

My good friend just bought one on our recommendation and can't get the keys away from his wife. She LOVES it. He is a lifelong GM guy.

Only the fanboys will deny the RAM is the nicest DD of the big 3. Sure, the Ford may out "truck" them, that's fine if you need that. But in NO WAY does 10k more for a similar Ford buy you any nicer of a truck.

But you can proudly wave those stats...

Nobody abuses their own fan base more than GM.
What they don't seem to understand is that once people switch, like cell phone providers, they don't come back.

Just on price alone, comparing the 5.7 and 6.2 models, you can drive the Dodge free 10 days a month.

Or save the difference in monthly payments and put it towards a high interest credit card, or rebuild the truck bumper to bumper in 84 months.

If Ram introduced a quad-cab on their 120" wb platform, shortened the box, eliminated the box overhang at the back,
they would have a truck that would make a lot more sense than the Canyon/Colorado.

And likely $10K cheaper.

I have always been a GM guy but I decided to try the Ram. The price difference was the most important for me. I got $10,000 in discounts in total. So far, my Ram has been excellent, no complaints at all.

It would be interesting to test drive each manufacturers trucks, as they really are quite different from each other now. GM stuck with the tried and true OHV V8 with AFM, Ford went with small turbo engines in almost everything they make, and RAM seems to put more innovation in comfort into their trucks today.

I've always summed it up this way:
GM trucks = best half ton trucks for the family/ daily driver.... cheesy thin sheet metal
Ford trucks = best 3/4 ton work trucks bar none....not a fan of the turbo everything route. Aluminum body is interesting
RAM trucks = best looking with fairly radical innovations......powertrains are sketchy IMO
Toyota trucks = nobody cares how good they are/ aren't because they are Toyotas (Except for Tacoma)
Nissan trucks = who???

I can find just as many high mileage Rams as you can f150s. Trash talk all you want and call me a fan boy because I own a Ram instead of a ford. YOU are a ford fan boy. That likes to trash talk people who don't like the same truck you do. You just make yourself look like a fool. Don't like a brand that's fine. But don't act like yours is "better" because you say so.

Nope, wrong. Yeah I like Fords - had good luck with most of them.

I have said GM also makes a fine truck. See post #3850988 - I said "buy the Ford or Chevy". And a hair more dependable than a Ford too. You really can't go wrong with either one. You can go wrong buying any FCA product. Guess that makes me a Ford Fan Boy since I said "Buy the Ford or Chevy"???

Pick the Ford, GM, or Toyota. Statistically both will be far more reliable than a Ram. That is the fact as reported by numerous sources that track those things. Sorry if you don't like that or it doesn't fit your experiences. But it is a fact.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
One thing ITguy always forgets is stats are only applicable to a GROUP, not an individual vehicle.

And one thing you all forget is that you are playing the odds by purchasing any vehicle.

Stacking the odds in your favor by picking something that has proven to be more reliable is a smart way to go. Would you rather play Russian Roulette with 1 or 2 bullets in the chamber?

I could buy from xxx manufacturer that makes 1 lemon per 100 or buy from the other that makes 3 lemons per 100. Which should you pick? I'd go with the 1 in 100.

Since Ram makes the best truck, when are you switching your fleet to ProMasters and Rams from GM?
smile.gif

Nope, wrong. Yeah I like Fords - had good luck with most of them.

I have said GM also makes a fine truck. See post #3850988 - I said "buy the Ford or Chevy". And a hair more dependable than a Ford too. You really can't go wrong with either one. You can go wrong buying any FCA product. Guess that makes me a Ford Fan Boy since I said "Buy the Ford or Chevy"???

Pick the Ford, GM, or Toyota. Statistically both will be far more reliable than a Ram. That is the fact as reported by numerous sources that track those things. Sorry if you don't like that or it doesn't fit your experiences. But it is a fact.

I'm sorry that you don't like the fact that for every Chrysler product with an issue, I can find a Ford to match. Chevy? The new chevy trucks have more issues than any of the others. Go check out the chevy truck forums.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
I'm a GMC/Chevy guy. I bought a new 2001GMC Ex Cab Z71 back in 2000. I still have the truck with 210,000 miles on it. I been thinking of getting a new truck or a new to me truck. Never been a Dodge fan at all. My uncle just got a new 2015 Dodge 3500 dually 4x4 quad cab. Man it is a nice truck. What would you get and why? Dodge, Ford, GMC/Chevy?? It will be just a half ton truck that I get and either be ex cab or quad. Thanks for any opinions on this.

Everyone else is going to argue one way or other till they turn blue and fall over.. but if was insert any advice buy the model that the drivetrain/body has been out 3-5 years, longer the better. Bugs are mostly worked out and with decent maintenance last you another 200k. All of ours fits in this category and little issue's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back