treasurydirect dot gov

Throwing this out as a separate thread related to this thread..... https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bank-cd-problem.377272/unread

If you are looking for somewhere to park your short-term cash, check out treasurydirect.gov

You open your own account directly w/the Dept. of Treasury and then buy your own government debt...no middle-man.

Won't be for everyone depending on your threshold of dealing w/another password, financial needs, knowledge of difference of T-bills v. bond, the yield curve...., etc.

Just throwing it out for people who don't know about it. (but depending on your needs, the better alternative might be a short-term debt ETF via a Vanguard/Fidelity, etc. account).

And of course this being an internet forum, shout out to all the gold, silver, crypto, classic car fans out there.

Good option. But for short-term earnings on your cash, it's hard to beat the safety, yield and liquidity combination of Vanguard's Federal Money Market Fund (VMFXX). It is currently yielding 5.3%, with a miniscule 0.11% expense ratio. Can link your bank account so that future investment and redemption can be made with the click of a button.

Last edited:
I got an account back when I-bonds were paying 9+%. Don't think I could have gotten those through a broker.

The website is plesantly 1999 vintage as well.

Back