Non-Cash Adjustment fee 3.5%

At least I can now pay my Illinois property tax with a credit card now and get 3% back after paying a pittance in processing fees. But only online. Checks or cash only at the window.

I seldom eat out anymore, and tactics like this is one of the reasons why. My first job was in the food service business, and I saw how the waitresses busted their ass. Ever since then I’ve always been a heavy tipper. However, I deeply resent being compelled to tip when they shove an iPad in my face or I see it on the checkout digital pad. Kills the whole spirit of tipping in my opinion. Likewise, these mark-ups to cover their credit card processing fees are another reason I stopped eating out. Just as well because I can now afford to buy designer oil for my car. 😬

Reactions: GON
At least I can now pay my Illinois property tax with a credit card now and get 3% back after paying a pittance in processing fees. But only online. Checks or cash only at the window.
Considering you and every single family member of yours, to include one day old babies that have a domicile of Illinois each personally owe the state of Illinois no less than $100k USD each for unfunded state pension liabilities, the three percent cash back on your likely $8k USD property tax bill doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Considering you and every single family member of your, to include one day old babies that have a domicile of Illinois personally owe the state a Illinois no less than $100k USD each for unfunded state pension liabilities, the three percent cash back on your likely $8k USD property tax bill doesn't matter.
Fairy tales only for those who are blind. The state pensions, it's a constitutional requirement right? :sneaky: Good luck when the the house of cards collapses.

And believe it or not property taxes in Illinois for seniors can be pretty low or at least not like the headlines yell, so much depends on the specific county. ~$1600 this year, 2 acers in a rural subdivision. They will freeze the assessments if you qualify and my property taxes have actually gone down for the last 5 years in a row due to the county being a better steward of their pension finances. That being said I will never recoup the cost of the second lot due to taxes paid over the last 30 years.

There is a local chain of deli's we used to frequent, but stopped when there prices got out of control. We decided to go there a couple days ago nonetheless, Ordered 4 sandwiches and free water - 50 bucks about as expected. They did the "spin the ipad" and suggested 18, 20 or 22% tip - I manually entered 5 bucks - and asked for a printed receipt.

At the table I noticed this 3.5% "non cash adjustment fee." Now I understand what its for and why, and actually don't have a problem - if they had a sign. They didn't. I went back up looking for the sign I missed, no sign.

So I would have been happy to pay cash had I known, I always have it. My guess is they don't want to handle cash, and they don't want to pay the banking fee themselves either, so they simply rip their customers off. Charging a fee without publishing it is fraud in my way of thinking. So now I feel ripped off. I doubt they care, better to collect 3.5% from everyone and irk a few old farts.

What say you?

View attachment 163184

Since everyone knows there is a fee to process on a card, why is a sign necessary for a vendor to recoup that fee?

You know what the fee is and what it is for, you said it yourself.

As a vendor I struggle with this constantly and simply stopped taking credit cards, its ACH or check.

You missed the part about your paying 3% more for everything. Whether there is a fee or not its baked in.
I pay more than 3% credit fee for my corporate landlords portal that I am forced to use

No check, no cash, no way to avoid almost $100 of junk fees on top of my supposed rent

Constitutionally I thought it was illegal to refuse cash payments

One guy above said he got 3% cash back on his credit card? Which card gives 3% cash back?

I play the cash back game too. I have chase and discover with 5% cash back on rotating categories. I have a fidelity card that gives me 2% back on everything. I used to have a USAA card that gave me 2.5%, but they dropped it down to 1.5% cash back, so I don’t use that card anymore.

Which card gives 3% back in every day purchases ?

I get about $2500 cash back yearly and I put all of it into a Fidelity brokerage account. I use it as a “free” supplemental retirement account.

I get 3% back on restaurants and travel with my Costco Citi credit card so it doesn’t matter to me.

Everything else I’ve been using my Amazon Prime Chase card, the past couple month have been 2% back on all purchases. Well except online shopping, I use my BofA card. 3%.

They would be getting a couple nasty online reviews from me if they pulled that carp-Yelp & Google Maps would be a good start… I’m still trying to figure out why counter service deserves a tip, too- if you’re a waitress, getting inferior wait staff pay, then sure. Counter staff gets full minimum, at least-this was a Starbucks invention, it should have stayed there (with their overpriced coffee, but that’s another issue).
Even though I’m a bartender, and rely on tips, I don’t understand this either. when I’m served I always leave a generous tip but never if I have to go to the counter and then bus my own table. The Jersey Mike’s by me pays $15 per hour and I always have to select the tip at the kiosk

Since everyone knows there is a fee to process on a card, why is a sign necessary for a vendor to recoup that fee?

You know what the fee is and what it is for, you said it yourself.

As a vendor I struggle with this constantly and simply stopped taking credit cards, its ACH or check.
Because failure to disclose non-customary fees till post sale is called Fraud

The largest retailers on earth do not charge a fee. The fee has not been a thing for most of my adult life. So therefore I need to be informed there will be a fee so I can make my decision to purchase there. Its not a customary fee. Otherwise its simply another scam.

There is a cost to handle cash also - especially in restaurants where employee theft is common. Restaurants should pay me to pay with card - no chance of employee theft :ROFLMAO:

The business can charge whatever fee they like, or not charge a fee, or give a cash discount, or only take cash, or only take card. But if they want to charge fees they need to be disclosed prior to the sale so I can decide.

UncleDave, I'm usually in lock step with your opinion, but on this one I've got to give the nod to SCM. Add that charge with no prior notice is fraud.

My view on this is likely not in step with the average consumer because Ive had so many problem with cards.

Because failure to disclose non-customary fees till post sale is called Fraud

The largest retailers on earth do not charge a fee. The fee has not been a thing for most of my adult life. So therefore I need to be informed there will be a fee so I can make my decision to purchase there. Its not a customary fee. Otherwise its simply another scam.

There is a cost to handle cash also - especially in restaurants where employee theft is common. Restaurants should pay me to pay with card - no chance of employee theft :ROFLMAO:

The business can charge whatever fee they like, or not charge a fee, or give a cash discount, or only take cash, or only take card. But if they want to charge fees they need to be disclosed prior to the sale so I can decide.

I understand you wanting and expecting it to be disclosed prior to the point of purchase. It's not an unfair ask at all.
Im much less forgiving of things like charging taxes on labor when not applicable to a fee passed on I know for a fact the vendor has to pay.

In the terms and condition on the cards (that few to none read) they tell you vendors can charge a fee.

I guess I consider the big oil companies some of the largest retailers on earth and they charge fees.

Any time Ive ever put significant monies on cards I was charged a fee.

Curious how often do you pay cash for gasoline? Im prob one of the few that do all the time.

I understand you wanting and expecting it to be disclosed prior to the point of purchase. It's not an unfair ask at all.
Im much less forgiving of things like charging taxes on labor when not applicable to a fee passed on I know for a fact the vendor has to pay.

In the terms and condition on the cards (that few to none read) they tell you vendors can charge a fee.

I guess I consider the big oil companies some of the largest retailers on earth and they charge fees.

Curious how often do you pay cash for gasoline? Im prob one of the few that do all the time.

If they're charging an extra 2-3% because of the fees (they are) then all you're doing by paying cash is costing yourself that amount since you're not getting any of it back in card benefits.

I assume your talking retail, which are franchise usually - but either way the price is well displayed before I pump. Many of the pumps now have 3 LED displays for each grade - cash, card and club

I put a $400 bill to the county on my card the other day. It was well disclosed - I could put in my banking information and be charged a small amount, I could show up at the office and pay with cash or check for no fee, or I could use a card for 2.5%. I chose 2.5% as I get 1% back anyway, so it cost me 6 bucks to not have to write a check or drive or disclose my banking information to their unsecure database.

Almost never, but its also well disclosed. And its usually about 2% discount and I get 1% back - so I am not standing in line for 50 cents, but I commend you for doing so.

To be 100% fair, if I didn't have to pay the fee that was built in to every "no fee" place - like Walmart, I would be fine. I would use cash everywhere. But if I use cash at the grocery store or Walmart or wherever, I am automatically paying the transaction fee - its baked in. So why not join the sheep and get 1% back.

I started this thread not just because I was charged a fee, and not just because it was not disclosed, but because I would have happily paid cash had I known - I always have cash on me. So my perspective is they really don't want to handle cash either - so they just expect everyone to pay there fee and not notice. Its deceptive. They lost 1 customer over it. They don't care.

If they're charging an extra 2-3% because of the fees (they are) then all you're doing by paying cash is costing yourself that amount since you're not getting any of it back in card benefits.

The discount for cash exceed the " cash back".
I've had my credit cards lifted/ stolen an unusually high number of times.
In each case it was a gas station when traveling.

The discount for cash exceed the " cash back".
I've had my credit cards lifted/ stolen an unusually high number of times.
In each case it was a gas station when traveling.

I see, we don't do the cash discount thing around here.

I've had my credit cards scammed at least ten times, and my debit card twice. It's mildly annoying but it doesn't cost financially so I don't worry about it too much. It definitely happens most when travelling for sure.

Back