Non-Cash Adjustment fee 3.5%

There is a local chain of deli's we used to frequent, but stopped when there prices got out of control. We decided to go there a couple days ago nonetheless, Ordered 4 sandwiches and free water - 50 bucks about as expected. They did the "spin the ipad" and suggested 18, 20 or 22% tip - I manually entered 5 bucks - and asked for a printed receipt.

At the table I noticed this 3.5% "non cash adjustment fee." Now I understand what its for and why, and actually don't have a problem - if they had a sign. They didn't. I went back up looking for the sign I missed, no sign.

So I would have been happy to pay cash had I known, I always have it. My guess is they don't want to handle cash, and they don't want to pay the banking fee themselves either, so they simply rip their customers off. Charging a fee without publishing it is fraud in my way of thinking. So now I feel ripped off. I doubt they care, better to collect 3.5% from everyone and irk a few old farts.

What say you?

1687651457342.jpg

I agree that they should have informed you. I occasionally go to small businesses that have signs that say something to the effect that there will either be an extra fee for credit cards, or a fee if using cc to pay a bill below $20 or something like that. I can make a decision on the spot, but they didn't give you the opportunity to do that.

There is a local chain of deli's we used to frequent, but stopped when there prices got out of control. We decided to go there a couple days ago nonetheless, Ordered 4 sandwiches and free water - 50 bucks about as expected. They did the "spin the ipad" and suggested 18, 20 or 22% tip - I manually entered 5 bucks - and asked for a printed receipt.

At the table I noticed this 3.5% "non cash adjustment fee." Now I understand what its for and why, and actually don't have a problem - if they had a sign. They didn't. I went back up looking for the sign I missed, no sign.

So I would have been happy to pay cash had I known, I always have it. My guess is they don't want to handle cash, and they don't want to pay the banking fee themselves either, so they simply rip their customers off. Charging a fee without publishing it is fraud in my way of thinking. So now I feel ripped off. I doubt they care, better to collect 3.5% from everyone and irk a few old farts.

What say you?

View attachment 163184
They would be getting a couple nasty online reviews from me if they pulled that carp-Yelp & Google Maps would be a good start… I’m still trying to figure out why counter service deserves a tip, too- if you’re a waitress, getting inferior wait staff pay, then sure. Counter staff gets full minimum, at least-this was a Starbucks invention, it should have stayed there (with their overpriced coffee, but that’s another issue).

I'd prefer not to carry cash, but for a 3.5% discount, I would--it'd add up over time. Heck I might even spend less and all (harder when it's actual green stuff that has to be handed over).

I'd complain but it pales next to our 9% prepared meals tax. I try not to eat out as a result.

Sure would be nice if the price listed was the price required--roll any and all required taxes into the price. Or have the rates posted right next to the menu, I can handle the math easily enough.

They are also competing against establishments that don't have that fee.
I think everyone who accepts payment via credit card gets charged. Some might be in the high 2% range but I hear 3% is normal for Visa transactions. I agree, baking the charge into the price would be the best way to go about it.

Nickel and diming is annoying. They are also competing against establishments that don't have that fee.

What they should do is just raise their prices and advertise a 3.5% discount for paying cash. I have seen places do that.
True-but more and more companies are charging this fee. I used to pay all my insurance with a credit card-$2,000.00. But this year was different. The insurance company said they would charge most of the (%) rebate I get with the credit card as a fee for charging. So-did a bank draft instead. Many merchants have figured out they are paying for your rebates at the end of the year. I got back over $1,000.00 on my Costco card-mainly due to travel rebates.

There is no free lunch-SOMEBODY is paying for it.

I expect credit card rebates/benefits to be greatly reduced in the future.

Ordered 4 sandwiches and free water - 50 bucks about as expected. They did the "spin the ipad" and suggested 18, 20 or 22% tip - I manually entered 5 bucks - and asked for a printed receipt.
Pic? What sandwich costs $10.50 each? I mean I picked up a hot porchetta sub for lunch at an Italian shop for $9 today. And I ain't paying a tip on carry out.

When they sign up to accept credit cards, it increases their business volume and in exchange for that they are expected to eat the fees. If they pass that along to the consumer, they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

If I saw that on the bill I would refuse to pay it, and switch to cash if necessary.

PS: you can report that business to your card and call in a complaint.

11% tax! o_O

Curious, when you went back to the register and couldn’t find it mentioned, did you ask if was posted anywhere?
I didn't ask. I could have but I looked everywhere and it was nowhere to be seen. I didn't want to make a scene - its a small place and my family was having a good time. Had I been alone it would have been different.

6% state sales tax plus 3% Charleston county sales tax plus 2% Charleston county hospitality tax. Luckily I don't live in Charleston County, but most of the entertainment is there.

I expect credit card rebates/benefits to be greatly reduced in the future.
I’ve been wondering if/when stuff is going to start to swing. I’m not complaining but the number of categories you can hit 5% in now really add up.

When they sign up to accept credit cards, it increases their business volume and in exchange for that they are expected to eat the fees. If they pass that along to the consumer, they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

If I saw that on the bill I would refuse to pay it, and switch to cash if necessary.

PS: you can report that business to your card and call in a complaint.
This changed several years ago in some of the fallout from the 2008 financial crisis. Before the rules changed, merchants were basically required to eat the credit card fees. Now they can recoup them as an added charge.

A lot of businesses won't take American Express charge cards because the fee is 5% (last I heard), quite a bit higher than Mastercard, Visa, and Discover. That fee and annual card fees are how AmEx makes money, since customers normally have to pay off the card each month, so they pay no interest charges.

Your lucky it’s only 3.5%
Nearly all restaurants, bars and small businesses charge a credit card fee or give a cash discount in this area.
I always ask now because if they announce it it’s in the women’s rest room or in small print somewhere.

And this isn’t new, 2008 era multiple restaurants went back to cash or local check only, no cards.

$50 bills are the new $10’s which is irritating but I’m back to having to carry cash since I refuse to pay up to 6% for plastic and it’s a good way of avoiding the 35% recommended tip that you have to manually override

Pic? What sandwich costs $10.50 each? I mean I picked up a hot porchetta sub for lunch at an Italian shop for $9 today. And I ain't paying a tip on carry out.

I end up paying a tip on takeout and fast food because it takes longer to remove (pay cash and :0 easy no tip)

Usually 10% is the minimum with some places wanting a buck.

The one that got me was being on a trip going inside to pay at a gas station and being asked for a tip on the screen.

Last edited:
POS (point of service) machines usually calculate tips wrong - they calculate based on total after tax rather than before tax. On the other hand, restaurants that have a service charge calculate it correctly - without tax included in the tip (service charge) %.
I never hit the standard percentage button. I will do rapid math in my head, and if the POS suggested tip is calculated to be more than it should be I automatically deduct 5% and let the server know why. A 20% tip becomes 15%. I don't reward bad math.
Take out and counter service get a few bucks if I'm feeling generous.
As to the credit charge surcharge, most states require that to be divulged before the transaction. If they have the accept credit card signs, they have to also announce the extra fees.

They should have a sign, but on the flip side most places just bump the price up by their average transaction fee and at most offer a cash discount. At worst, none at all.

Back