Can YOU Spot the flaw in this New Raybestos Performance Rotor?

It's unfortunate because Raybestos used to be a solid product of which I used them exclusively for years when the Element 3 pads and rotors came out. Stopped using them 2 yrs ago after getting brake pads that didn't fit right, pads that delaminated and rotors with poorly applied coatings and rotors that warped prematurely. This is all the result of 1st Brands (IIRC) buying them out and cheapening the brand. We have seen other posts here on BITOG with Raybestos issues as well the past year.

One pad might run at a different temp than the other. Having a thickness variation like that doesn't exude quality to me.

Decades ago I helped a friend do a front brake job on his Ford Fiesta. Besides pads, he got new rotors. One rotor was made by one company, the other rotor made by someone else. Other than some minor visual differences they were "identical".

Problem was, the brakes pulled to one side. We did the job over again, checking the hub flanges and insuring that caliper pins were free. Everything was good. The only way we stopped the brakes from pulling was to get a third rotor that matched one of the others.

Scott

It's unfortunate because Raybestos used to be a solid product of which I used them exclusively for years when the Element 3 pads and rotors came out. Stopped using them 2 yrs ago after getting brake pads that didn't fit right, pads that delaminated and rotors with poorly applied coatings and rotors that warped prematurely. This is all the result of 1st Brands (IIRC) buying them out and cheapening the brand. We have seen other posts here on BITOG with Raybestos issues as well the past year.
I was using the E3 pads and rotors until a set started a nasty judder in less than a year on a 2015 Oddy.

Or it will go wobbly due to the difference in thickness and you'll have to do the job twice.

No sense doing a job if you're not going to do it correctly.
Fair enough. I'd still run it if I couldn't easily get another one.

Reactions: D60
Run it. Probably never feel a difference. Might wear out a little early but nobody resurfaces rotors anymore. Not cost effective. One time I had one of four aglets that was differently sized. I used them anyway and never could tell any difference.

Reactions: D60
So far, First Brands has been terrible to deal with. No response to the email I sent so I called. Tech Support had a cool guy who said he's also a mechanic. Guy searched and found my email, said 100% should be covered. He transferred me to another department where they handle the warranty. Never rang, went to a voicemail. Left a message, no call back that day or today. Called into their 800 number again and got the same dude in Tech (after a 50-minute wait on hold) I was surprised he answered. He said Tech Support is pretty much just him so not a surprise. This time he gives me the number for customer support, call, get some absolute twit Latina who sounds like her boyfriend (they all work from home) is messing around with her while she's talking to me. My best guess when she's half listening and saying shaaaahhhhppp every 5 seconds. She transferred me to dead line that was just a dial tone.

I will go out of my way not to buy any of their portfolio of brands. Would be more humorous and efficient to file against them in small claims for the rotor.

Maybe social media?

Also, for anyone interested (in humor), they have a "reel" from Mar 18 with a girl who tries to tell us the three things that can happen with bad brakes. It's painful and basically says if you have bad brakes, your brakes will suck. Nearly the entire video is her reinstalling a wheel. At least she's easy on the eyes.

edit: my wife heard the video from the bedroom and said, "I feel like everything they said was pretty much common sense."

So far, First Brands has been terrible to deal with. No response to the email I sent so I called. Tech Support had a cool guy who said he's also a mechanic. Guy searched and found my email, said 100% should be covered. He transferred me to another department where they handle the warranty. Never rang, went to a voicemail. Left a message, no call back that day or today. Called into their 800 number again and got the same dude in Tech (after a 50-minute wait on hold) I was surprised he answered. He said Tech Support is pretty much just him so not a surprise. This time he gives me the number for customer support, call, get some absolute twit Latina who sounds like her boyfriend (they all work from home) is messing around with her while she's talking to me. My best guess when she's half listening and saying shaaaahhhhppp every 5 seconds. She transferred me to dead line that was just a dial tone.

I will go out of my way not to buy any of their portfolio of brands. Would be more humorous and efficient to file against them in small claims for the rotor.

Get the Powerstop Geomet coated rotors :)

They emailed and said it is absolutely under warranty, contact Rock Auto where you bought it.
So now you are back to square one and have to send back to RA and rotors are HEAVY and expensive to ship. Its better to cut your loss and just forget it. It will cost more in shipping to/from then buying brand new one.

So now you are back to square one and have to send back to RA and rotors are HEAVY and expensive to ship. Its better to cut your loss and just forget it. It will cost more in shipping to/from then buying brand new one.

return shipping should be free since it's under warranty

Back