Got me some Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors - is this worthy of sending back?

I ordered both Front and Rear Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors, but only one of them looks this bad in terms of coverage. I tend to be a perfectionist with things and was expecting the finish to be more uniform. Where you see dark spots in the photos, you can tell that the coating was barely misted on, compared to the rest that was evenly coated. I got these from Rock Auto and I've already started the replacement process for this one, but I'm curious to know if this is actually worth a return. I know that the pads are going to wear off the coating in most of the places where this is a problem, but they won't rub it off directly around the rotor hat, and there's some inconsistent spots in places where my current rotors are very rusted. So I wanted to get some opinions to see if it's worth the hassle of a getting a replacement. I just don't want these rotors to rust prematurely - that's the main reason I got these.

IMG_5318.JPG
IMG_5319.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

I'm not really in any hurry to do the brake job at the moment, but I went ahead and tried Raybestos' Customer Service number and keep getting "Your call cannot be completed as dialed." Welp, I guess it was worth a shot...

Update: I found their Technical Service # from their Performance Racing area and was able to talk to someone. They suggest that I send the rotor back just to be sure.

Last edited:
I'm not really in any hurry to do the brake job at the moment, but I went ahead and tried Raybestos' Customer Service number and keep getting "Your call cannot be completed as dialed." Welp, I guess it was worth a shot...

Update: I found their Technical Service # from their Performance Racing area and was able to talk to someone. They suggest that I send the rotor back just to be sure.
Seems like their CS is pretty good. No excuses, no drama, just send it back.

I spritz on some caliper paint and not worry about it if I wanted to do the job now.

I would do this anyway. It’s not enough to go to the trouble/hassle IMO.

I have ordered two sets of coated rotors so far and both were less than spectacular looking TBH. I have also cleaned and painted (silver grill paint) my own non-coated rotors and they seem to hold up just as well as the pre-coated ones.

The ones I got for her Altima in May seemed to be ok. I may not have done as thorough inspection but they looked ok to me.

As others have said, the coating where the pad sits wears off after you start driving. Like you said the hat will stay coated.

Attachments

• IMG_4267.jpeg
    IMG_4267.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg