Flying the Boeing 757-200

If I'm correct, three take off thrust settings, with the second thr most used.
If I remember correctly the FMS calculates the percentage of EPR for takeoff. So there are infinite possibilities for takeoff thrust levels. You advance the thrust levers to about where you think they will be, then hit the auto throttles button and the computer sets thrust for you. It's really slick.

@Astro14 will know.

1) I can tell an aircraft when I see one.
2) It impresses me the level of skill it takes from the mechanics and operating aircraft ! Growing up in Millbrae California I have friends that flew and worked on planes at the airlines.
3) I still enjoyed that W Wilson got the Fly the 757 sim !

Fabulous write up Wayne. I had an instrument rating and about 580 hours in my C182 years ago. I loved every minute flying that plane.

But this is so far above that plane. I think I’d be intimidated to say the least.

Fabulous write up Wayne. I had an instrument rating and about 580 hours in my C182 years ago. I loved every minute flying that plane.

But this is so far above that plane. I think I’d be intimidated to say the least.
Almost all of my time is teaching in SEL (single engine land). Going from a PA28-140 to a 757-767 is like walking into a different universe. The jet still flies just like an airplane, but the complexity is overwhelming. I flew a Pipe Malibu for a guy that was all steam gauges, operated in the flight levels, and had serious descent restrictions having no speed brakes and being piston powered. You can't just pull the throttle back to idle from cruise, because you'll be buying a new engine from the cracks caused by shock cooling. It was about as complex as civilian SELs get. It was very simple compared to a passenger jet. No comparison.

Only one way to find out, Sam!

Come out to Denver in the second half of February - we will make it happen. 😎

If I remember correctly the FMS calculates the percentage of EPR for takeoff. So there are infinite possibilities for takeoff thrust levels. You advance the thrust levers to about where you think they will be, then hit the auto throttles button and the computer sets thrust for you. It's really slick.

@Astro14 will know.

If I'm correct, three take off thrust settings, with the second thr most used. My buddy flew these for years, LOVED being at the top of the runway in Minnesota in the dead of winter....

There are three pre-programmed thrust settings for takeoff - max, and two de-rates - built into the FMC. You can select any one of those three.

We use an assumed* temperature tailored to the weight, runway length, slope, elevation, wind, temperature, altimeter setting, and probably a few other things that I can’t remember. By giving the Thrust Management Computer assumed temperatures (I think the max is 50C) we can get a finer tailoring of thrust setting to takeoff performance requirements.

*We tell the computer a temperature different than the actual, so it calculates a max EPR (or RPM on the CF-6) based on that temperature instead of sensed temperature.

Our company took part in building UPS' new flight training facility in Louisville. I talked to several folks that worked there and it's mind boggling how much these cost and how advanced they are. It takes a background check among other clearances to even get on site, but luckily I was one of the ones onsite at the tail end to see one of these machines being installed. Pretty impressive stuff, wish I could sit inside one!

Great thread.

The airlines used to have a program for the public to try the sim albeit at a hefty fee, I assume this is still the case.

Great thread.

The airlines used to have a program for the public to try the sim albeit at a hefty fee, I assume this is still the case.
It was $1,500 for two hours in our 747-400 twenty years ago.

We have still offered the experience recently - but people in our elite flyer status bid miles for the experience.

I suspect with the extraordinarily high training loads, we are not doing that this year.

It's very rare to upgrade existing airplanes with new instruments. Both the dial and digital type of instruments are very expensive, and the pilots would have to learn a new system.

I'm surprised they still have all these gauges and not digital readouts.
The first flight of the 757 was 42 years ago in 1982, so the design took place a few years before that. Absolutely state of the art when it came out and still a very capable cockpit, but not modern. The cost of retrofitting an existing older cockpit with new avionics and controls is prohibitively expensive, because of the recertification of the airplane and aircrews.

Back