Buying Oil At Wal-Mart VS Part Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Had some oil disappear from my porch so no more Amazon for oil.

Buy filters from Amazon. Oil from Wal-Mart or home depot

The problem with Amazon they deliver the last three packages to my neighbors house. Lucky I'm retired I retrieved it off their porch.

Amazon has their own delivery service now?

Originally Posted By: Pajero
I detest HellMart! But, I make an exception for oil. I go in and out really quick. Otherwise; I rather pay extra at grocery stores vs Hellmart. They are an evil company, reference employees benefits etc. Yet, I admit that they do a lot of donations in the community. For whatever that is worth.

You are allowed to steal 2x, before you are banned from the chain.

Pajero

I'm just wondering why they're evil but what they do is not illegal. Can you truly be evil and not do anything illegal? They don't force the employees to work there and they don't force people to shop there. It's really the American way. Capitalism at it's peak. The nature of competition drives down prices. It's true in many industries.

I've shopped there for oil, but normally the Autozone clearance oil has been cheaper so I haven't gotten any oil there lately.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The problem with Amazon they deliver the last three packages to my neighbors house. Lucky I'm retired I retrieved it off their porch.

No but I think they have their own set of FedEx people that do their deliveries. FedEx also delivers to my house for Walmart but they always seem to get it here. Go figure?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Why is that? What would the world do without china freight?
wink.gif

I hate that place; it goes against the grain of everything I believe in. Now all the hardware stores think they need to stock cheap junk too.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
wink.gif

I hate that place; it goes against the grain of everything I believe in. Now all the hardware stores think they need to stock cheap junk too.

HF is okay for screwdrivers, small handtools, etc.. for power tools I agree with you.

Around here, there are better deals available from Meijer and Menards and RK blows Walmart away in house brand oil pricing and also offers an inexpensive oil filter. NAPA also often offers very sharp pricing on their house brand.
Walmart used to have great clearance pricing but that doesn't seem to happen these days.
The good clearances are found at the parts chains, like the seven buck jugs of Havoline syn from O'Reilly's or the fifteen clam 10 qt jugs of T5 from AZ, or the usual year-end clearances that all seem to have.
No reason I can see to put up with a shopping nightmare when I can do as well or better elsewhere.
A little OT, but why do Walmarts have a couple of dozen cashier lanes with 70% of them never open?

Originally Posted By: Bud
I buy where I get the best price for what I want. Don't care what store it's at.
+1 Spare those of us who visit Wally the phony "social conscience" drivel. "Best Buy", et al doesn't pay any better than Wally.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

No but I think they have their own set of FedEx people that do their deliveries. FedEx also delivers to my house for Walmart but they always seem to get it here. Go figure?
Lately I've had people driving their own cars delivering AMZN packages, at least the last few months. Bad news for USPS, I guess.

I get my oil at Walmart too. I was getting Pennzoil Platinum for around $23/5qt jug and Castro Magnatech for $19/5qt jug. I'm not working two jobs because I have too much time on my hands, so I will save wherever I can. But I've still never tried the Dexos approved oil at Rural King for $12/5qt jug. Maybe sometime, but the Magnatech is where I am now.

L8R,
Matt

I buy my oil at Walmart along with a large portion of our groceries. I have a Walmart 1/2 mile from my home. All other grocery stores are 7 miles away or even more. Many on here I know dislike Walmart. Maybe I am fortunate but ours seems organized, well run, staffed pretty well. I do have an Autozone and O'Reilly's but I am not paying $7.00 to $10.00 more per jug for oil. I don't love Walmart but in my situation it works for me. I used to live where a poorly run Walmart was and I do understand what that's like. I see that in restaurant chains as well. If we go eat at Salt Grass we pass one to go to another that is better quality and service. To each his own I guess.

I get oil from Walmart, huge price difference here. For example, my XJ takes 6 quarts. So, Walmart is $17 for a 5qt jug of Pennzoil HM, 1qt is $4.70. O'Reilly's is $30 for the 5 quarts and then $8 for one quart. Filters, if I'm doing TGs I'll get it at Walmart, otherwise I'll go to O'Reillys for a Wix. Don't shop at Napa or Advance unless I have to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I buy a lot of stuff at WM. Can't really afford to shop elsewhere most of the time.

THANK YOU! That's the category that I fall into.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
wink.gif

I have NEVER shopped at HF. I get their sales flyer's and PC ads all the time. There is one in the big city, about 60 miles from my house.

Walmart has a lot of price errors or deals on synthetic oil, my last bag was 9 5-quart jugs of syntech paired with a valvoline MIR made it dirt cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back