Bulb grease? đź‘€

Just bought a brake light bulb at autozone and the guy said do you want any bulb grease with that? I said do you guys keep that stuff by the blinker fluid? He wasn't kidding and came back with a packet of bulb grease. Really?

I use it on my BMW's front turn signal bulbs.
It's basically dielectric grease that can be used on rusty pigtails to give better electrical connectivity.

Just bought a brake light bulb at autozone and the guy said do you want any bulb grease with that? I said do you guys keep that stuff by the blinker fluid? He wasn't kidding and came back with a packet of bulb grease. Really?
Working on a couple old toyotas headlights got me familiar with bulb grease which i assume was some kind of moisture inhibitor. Dielectric might be it, but the color was yellow toothpaste.

I have one connector that's a little burnt. What causes that? Would it help in this situation?

Some bulb greases have boric/other acid in them which helps to clean the contacts. In a pristine bulb socket, I'd just use regular dielectric grease for an exterior bulb or none for an interior.

Silicone or plumbers grease is no different but I use penetrox maybe because of 40 yrs as a electrician
IMG_2123.jpeg

I have one connector that's a little burnt. What causes that? Would it help in this situation?
High resistance between a contact and the bulb, or connector mating surface to some other module. Maybe could bend more spring tension in the contact or clean off oxidation or if it's too bad then just replace it.

Yeah at oreilly that is one of the things they want team members to offer as part of the “related products maximum service” program. So it’s not just AutoZone.

Yes to the above but dielectric grease helps prevented arcing + scorching in the OP's case (post #19).

The times I've refreshed marker lamp bulbs (side markers etc.) the easiest out/in episodes are ones which have been greased a bit.

And remember, the 193 (3v.) and 194 (4v.) bulbs are thinner in the base than the nearly identical 5 watt version.
A 193/4 in a socket requiring a 5W5 or equivalent will burn.

Last edited:
Yes to the above but dielectric grease helps prevented arcing + scorching in the OP's case (post #19).

The times I've refreshed marker lamp bulbs (side markers etc.) the easiest out/in episodes.

And remember, the 193 (3v.) and 194 (4v.) bulbs are thinner in the base than the nearly identical 5 watt version.
A 193/4 in a socket requiring a 5W5 or equivalent will burn.
Never thought of that. it did seem loose when I installed it.

I NEVER use die-electrical grease in connectors with a ribbed gasket. Like say for 9005 bulbs, should I start adding a dab?

I recently started using it since i had to clean all the rusted connectors and grounds on my old trailer. Took hours to fix all the 10 lights which not a single one lit up but were all working once cleaned and greased,

Back