Using OEM Parts on 9 year old vehicle 223k miles...

Would you spend the money on OEM parts on a vehicle that is 9 years old and has a quarter million miles on it?

I did last week, front rotors and pads, shims for my 2015 Lexus RX350. This was the second brake job on the front that I've done on it, the first I chose to use the PowerStop OE rotors and pads. I'm done with brake components from that company. I have had absolutely horrible service from anything from Powerstop. I put the premium Z23 rotors and pads on my Tundra and they didn't make it 40k miles before the vibration was just too much.

I spent about $100 more in Toyota OEM parts than the Powerstop package of rotors and pads. The Powerstop stuff on the RX350 didn't make it 35k miles before the pulsation was just too much. Now the car has pretty much brand-new factory fresh brake components all the way around. I rebuilt the front calipers 35k miles ago, every seal/etc on them looked brand new at 190k miles. I was impressed. Saturday I do as I always do, wire brush the daylights out of the hub, wire brush the pad bracket, clean the caliper pin sockets with brake clean and booger-remover paper towel rolled up and shoved down in there, clean the pins and re-grease with a light coat of Sylglyde. I use the Toyota grease on the backs of the pads. Did the rears about 4 months ago with all OEM rotors and pads and same procedure. I always flush the fluid before beginning a brake job and then do a couple of bleeds after the pads are in.

Better than 99% of the shops out there are going to do.

If your not in the rust belt, and have either a high quality car, or simple to fix car, I think it makes sense to run them a long time! That said, I don't find there's anything different with OEM brakes, and decent quality brands.
Also I've never had a pulsation that didn't go away eventually, either with time or just got them smoking hot a few times. The original front brakes on the Outback started pulsing, but in a month or so they stopped and we went another couple years on them.

I understand the hesitancy of not using OEM, but Toyota's brake parts are very, very good and I don't think I would be saving much by going to the parts store and trying to get high-quality stuff there.

There is no high-quality brake parts on Amazon, very little on Rock Auto. Like I said, I've tried the Powerstop stuff more than 2 times, never again. It looks good, comes in a nice box but I'll take the service I've had from OEM.

I generally always buy OEM parts for my vehicles except the 2008 CRV we have for our Daughter. It's got 200k on it and I don't feel it will get much past 300k if it does. But my Toyotas, I don't plan on getting rid of any of them, all three run like new, and the factory OE parts seem to get well past 100k miles, so I have no problem buying another OEM part.

. Like I said, I've tried the Powerstop stuff more than 2 times,
I never heard of powerstop - so I googled them. They look like an aftermarket "upgrade" type supplier. Correct me if I am wrong?

You want to choose OEM suppliers IMHO. No guarantee they won't make a cheaper non OEM version - but at least you have a chance. I think Brembo, Akebeno, Bendix, Raybestos, Centric, Bosch. They all are tier suppliers that make stuff directly for OEM's.

Sure. I do for my old MB diesels when it makes sense.

It doesnt always make sense, especially if quality aftermarket is available. For brakes, unless its a platform known for some odd noise or rotor sensitivity, or youre trying to keep it factory original, I dont see the benefit...

Depends on the job and feasibility. Electronics and gaskets and stuff that is labor intensive that I just want to do once and be done with? OEM.

Consumables like filters and brake parts? I use quality aftermarket unless the OEM price is better (which sometimes it is).

I'm "one of those people" that thinks if you want the vehicle to last and perform the way it was designed...you always use OEM parts if they're available. The OE has experienced what it's like if you use aftermarket parts.

Ed
True. I guess if you own cars from new, which come with oem parts, you know exactly how they will perform in your operating conditions. If they do well, why bother changing up the perfect formula?

I'm "one of those people" that thinks if you want the vehicle to last and perform the way it was designed...you always use OEM parts if they're available. The OE has experienced what it's like if you use aftermarket parts.

Ed
Except once your car is out of production your likely to get the cheapened "approved updated OEM part" anyway.

I have experienced this multiple times. You can often get the exact part from the supplier directly for 1/3 the cost - if you can figure out who made it.

Agree with you on Pwerstop components. Years past they worked well for my 17 Outback but recently they seemed to have lowered the quality of their products. In this instance OEM brakes are good to go despite mileage. When you're providing the labor material costs aren't a biggie. I'd be comfortable with the route you took.

I put oem pads on my 05 Chevy 1/2 ton 1500 when I bought it used with 162,000 miles 10 years ago. Now has 243,000 miles and hasn’t been touched since with plenty of pad left and the brakes are as smooth as a baby’s bottom with no brake dust on the wheels. As usual, YMMV

Back