Question about CV axles.. Camry specific..

2000 Camry V6

Hey all. I just rebuilt an OEM axle that I removed from a non-wrecked Camry at the junkyard. I bought an OEM Toyota CV rebuild kit which included new inboard and outboard boots, grease packets, and boot clamps.

One thing that I did not know (again this is my first Toyota) is that these Camry’s came with either a “plug in” or “w/o plug in” type inboard joint.

2 observations: 1.) the newly rebuilt CV axle is “w/o plug in style” vs the old one that is plug in style. I mic’d the diameter of the inboard shaft, splines, and height. The measurements between the two matched, same number splines, and depth of splines. The only difference was the design of the inboard shaft. I looked inside the transmission with the axle remove and I couldn’t find what could cause an issue. 2.) the newly rebuilt axle was about 9mm shorter than the old one both in a uncompressed state.

Anyhow, at around 40 mph I get not really a vibration, but almost a feel of when a tire is not balanced laterally (static balanced only if you will) type of shake. I can drive out of that feel around 60 mph but I can still feel it in my jaw lol. I marked the CV joints before disassembly to ensure everything went back together in correct alignment. I put the car on jack stands and put it in drive and inspected underneath and I cannot physically see issues, but I feel it..

Any input?

IMG_6033.jpeg

IMG_6034.jpeg

IMG_6037.jpeg

Last edited:
I just rebuilt an OEM axle that I removed from a non-wrecked Camry at the junkyard.
No you didn't. You just replaced the boots.

1. If you replaced the boots I would have to assume they were torn, and if so, had let dirt and water inside causing wear leading to the condition you describe.

2. Or the the axles could have 300,000 miles on them and just be worn out.

I'll just throw this out there as a suggestion with absolutely no validity. Can you remove the inner joint from your old axle and install it on your newly rebooted axle? This way you'd have the proper axle type to reinstall back into your transmission. You can swap the boots over but you might need to buy new bands.

I'll just throw this out there as a suggestion with absolutely no validity. Can you remove the inner joint from your old axle and install it on your newly rebooted axle? This way you'd have the proper axle type to reinstall back into your transmission. You can swap the boots over but you might need to buy new bands.
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually thought about that too but finding the correct oetiker clamp band is a PITA unless there is a good replacement out there

No you didn't. You just replaced the boots.

1. If you replaced the boots I would have to assume they were torn, and if so, had let dirt and water inside causing wear leading to the condition you describe.

2. Or the the axles could have 300,000 miles on them and just be worn out.
Thanks for correcting that. You’re right I did not rebuild it but did a re-boot on the unit. I guess I should’ve assumed it could’ve been a high mile unit but it looked very clean when I removed it. Back to square 1 I go lol

Thanks @D60! Do these clamps work on the 97-01 Camry’s?
I honestly have no idea but pretty sure they spec a size range. Measure what you need vs what's out there. There are other listings but that's what I opted for -- IIRC at the time I was working on an '08 F150 so those shafts are larger, but the clamps have a lot of adjustment (obviously).

I'm not saying they're great, but many inexpensive boot kits come with lackluster clamps -- although I've never had one fail. OEM clamps are always the nicest but I like having backups in case I do something dumb and damage my one GOOD clamp

You can buy boot clamps for about $10 per end. There are two types so get the one that works with your existing tool.

this type (Oetiker - looks like your original axle):
1711499140379.jpg

or this type (looks like your replacement axle):

1711499200970.jpg

NICECNC 20pcs Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable Drive Shaft AXLE CV Joint Boot Crimp Clamp Kit (10pcs Small+ 10pcs Large) https://a.co/d/3Xygsrv

I installed this one about year ago - no issues so far. It's not available right now, but there are plenty similar ones.

NICECNC 20pcs Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable Drive Shaft AXLE CV Joint Boot Crimp Clamp Kit (10pcs Small+ 10pcs Large) https://a.co/d/3Xygsrv

I installed this one about year ago - no issues so far. It's not available right now, but there are plenty similar ones.
Thanks Mike! I grabbed those a week ago (same ones you posted) so I’m excited to learn that they have lasted so far for you and hopefully will for me as well 🙂

Back