Brand choice for a 1/2" impact wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a medium duty 1/2" air impact wrench. There are so many brands available, which ones to choose?? What features should I consider?

Last edited:
I used Chicago Pneumatic for twenty years and never had a problem with them. I bought a 1" drive Ingersoll-Rand from a guy years ago that was needing money. That was money well spent. I've only bought Ingersoll-Rands since.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
IR. The 231C is a moderately priced unit that will last a lifetime.

Ed

Until they started making them in China. I set my down and the handle broke off. The gun essentially broke in half with the handle flopping and sliding all over as air was blowing it around.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
IR, I like the push button in the back. Their titanium line is superb.

I have 3 quiet Titaniums and yes they ROCK, but they are not for everybodies budget either. Fot just occasional use at home the 231 is a really good gun

I havent had a good snapon gun since my IM5100. I have had about every new model that came out 6700,500,the one with redline oil in it.....they were all junk compared to the Titanium IR

I don't like the 1/2 Snap On's. They are off balance and hard on the wrist. The Ti is light, push-button and strong. The tool trucks overprice IR's (as with everything). Lowes sells IR at much better prices.

I have the 2132QT as my main weapon. If it can't get something loose then I just hit it with the hot wrench. I got it from Lowes at least 4 years ago. I think it was about $220. For home use that gun is great, and won't anger the neighbors.

Now my 3/8ths Snap-On, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Last edited:
I think it's a 2132.....I can't remember now.

10733d1174162465-ingersoll-rand-2132g-1-2-impact-gun-new-2132g.jpg

This one.

The IM31 are really awesome 3/8 guns. Thats what I use daily and love them. they dont make them anymore but a scoreed a NIB one on ebay....I have it just incase something happens to the one I have now

I also like the MAC AW226

My 1st 1/2 gun was a MAC AW434 and I still have that gun also. Awesome gun!!

Last edited:
Top of the line? Try a Snap-on MG725. Upper middle ground? IR 2135 Titanium, lower middle ground? IR 231. Just a good solid home gun? I use this composite from Northern Tools and like it very well for the money: Northern Composite Impact

I have all of these (except for the 231 that I traded off) and they all work well given the limits of the tools. The Northern composite is a very good impact for the money while the Snappy MG725 caused me to get rid of my 3/4 impact. It is that strong...

Originally Posted By: HM12460
There are a lot of choice's. I like my Ingersoll Rand.

+1. Have had mine for at least 12 years.

I use the heck out of my MG325. I just wish it had thumb buttons like IR's. I traded in two [censored] 3/8th, one was a S/K and the other old Snap On (push in for forward, push back for reverse). I can't remember the model of the Snap On.

My buddy got the IM31 off ebay for $100. And a Matco branded 2132 for $125. I am pretty sure the Matco version is the same as the Ti.

Yeah the matco is the same as the TI. I have a tech that spent an extra 100.00 for the matco one. I could have brained him for that one. One day these kids will learn!!

Originally Posted By: beast3300

Until they started making them in China.
Say it isn't so! I've had my 231 for over 20 years. It will still take the lugnuts off of my Peterbilt.

It was made in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back