corded impact wrench

I will be changing the timing belt on a Honda V6 later this year. I would like to buy an impact wrench and the Lisle weighted socket for the crank bolt. I would prefer a corded impact wrench because I seldom need one and batteries tend to be a problem when they are only used once every year or two.

But, there are few options for a corded impact wrench.

Harbor Freight wrench

Home Depot wrench

Are either of these likely to be up to the task?
Is the Milwaulkee worth the extra money over the Bauer?

I do have an old Craftsman air impact but I doubt it's up to the job. My compressor is the real problem, but I don't want to buy a new compressor just for this job.
Suggestions?

Most pneumatic impacts far out power any electric. The torque ratings on electric impacts are notoriously optimistic. If you need a wrench that can actually deliver 300 ftlbs, it had better advertise 600…

If you need power, which is what you’re suggesting for this difficult bolt, then stick with air.

That said, air impacts don’t use a lot of air. A small, or weak, compressor will run them as long as you can get 90-100 psi out of it. The best use of your dollars would be a quality pneumatic, or a good 1/2” breaker bar and a 3 foot pipe to put over the handle. That bolt will come off…

Last edited:
Can you borrow a compressor and impact?

But as said, not a lot of air is needed, so if the compressor still works, maybe just get a better impact from HF for this one time use.

I have a 3/4 inch flex handle and buy only the socket size I need for the job. I add a short length of pipe if needed. I've never had a pneumatic or electric impact wrench. I have a 1/2 inch speed handle for lug nuts. Check how much room you have to fit a tool before you buy.

Someone borrowed my Craftsman impact several years ago to remove the crank bolt on a Civic and the impact couldn't do it. He borrowed a 3/4 inch impact and got the bolt off.
He had a better compressor than me.

I have a 3/4 inch flex handle and buy only the socket size I need for the job. I add a short length of pipe if needed. I've never had a pneumatic or electric impact wrench.
I'm not sure if you can get a tool onto the Honda crank to hold it in place so that a breaker can be used?

Honda crank bolts are a notorious bolt to crack loose.

I'm not sure if you can get a tool onto the Honda crank to hold it in place so that a breaker can be used?

I will buy the Honda crank holder and use a breaker bar if I have too. I would like to find a impact wrench for under $200 that would work if possible. But the holder/breaker bar is plan B.

I've never owned a Honda or worked on one, so your knowledge on this is greater than mine.

I've never owned a Honda or worked on one, so your knowledge on this is greater than mine.
I've done neither, but at times the Ridgeline gets tempting. So I read up on how to do the job. Supposedly it's not a bad job, save for that one bolt. People buy the fancy socket, which is heavy. I'm not sure what the physic here is: is it heavy so that it keeps constant torque on the bolt, so that impact, when it hits, just keeps increasing the torque level until it breaks? [Using inertia to keep torque applied that is.]

My compressor is rated at 5.6 CFM at 90 PSI.
Working PSI is 85-115.
10 gallon tank.

What about the Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2 inch pneumatic? Is that likely to work with 100 PSI?
Sure it will.

I ran an IR 450 lb-ft class torque wrench off of an ancient 10gal, 1/3HP, 100PSI max compressor for years. When I first hooked it up, it was weak sauce. I was doing everything wrong:

Motor oil instead of a light oil in the gun.
A thin hose section in the otherwise 3/8 airline.
Bad quick disconnect that throttled air considerably
Standard airline fittings
Cutoff at 95-ish PSI

I flushed out the thick oil and it got semi-useful.
I adjusted the cutoff a little higher, even better.
Replaced all of the air hose fittings with high flow, even better. But, that bad quick disconnect on the tank was still killing me.
Once I replaced ALL the fittings with high flow and the narrow part with 3/8, it really kicked.

By the way break-away torque is the new lie... like 4.5HP shop vacs, that run off of 110V/15A. Ha.

Earthquake XT

Any chance here?

Chris142 what did you use?
Now we are talkin…

I‘ve not done a Honda crank bolt.

The MB is torqued to 275, which naturally requires quite a bit more to come out. No room for an impact. 1/2” breaker bar with the correct socket and the Mercedes counterhold tool. My trusty jack handle extension (from a jack I owned long ago, 1 1/4” diameter, steel tube, rubber grip) and a piece of conduit for extra leverage.

My Olds was similar torque. 16 year old engine. Blocked the flywheel. 3 foot pipe over the breaker bar.

I would’ve preferred an impact for both those jobs. Didn’t have one. Employed the Archimedes principle, “Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.”

Sure it will.

I ran an IR 450 lb-ft class torque wrench off of an ancient 10gal, 1/3HP, 100PSI max compressor for years. When I first hooked it up, it was weak sauce. I was doing everything wrong:

Motor oil instead of a light oil in the gun.
A thin hose section in the otherwise 3/8 airline.
Bad quick disconnect that throttled air considerably
Standard airline fittings
Cutoff at 95-ish PSI

I flushed out the thick oil and it got semi-useful.
I adjusted the cutoff a little higher, even better.
Replaced all of the air hose fittings with high flow, even better. But, that bad quick disconnect on the tank was still killing me.
Once I replaced ALL the fittings with high flow and the narrow part with 3/8, it really kicked.

By the way break-away torque is the new lie... like 4.5HP shop vacs, that run off of 110V/15A. Ha.
^^ What he said. (y)

Don't dismiss the value of good high flow connectors and a 3/8" hose. I bought Milton hi flow type years ago, but there are others now.

And if you are using a cheap yellow curly type hose, dump it.

Back