HF Bauer 20V 1/2" drive impact wrench

I was thinking of getting a HF impact wrench only because I have a few 20V 3 amp or greater batteries on hand. I see there are more than a couple versions with different specs for the same model number which I don't get. I was leaning towards brushless but would be OK with regular as its not a work tool.

I personally have a newfound respect for Bauer and Hercules myself and wouldn't hesitate, spending extra for a brushless unit would be beneficial in several ways.

If you're able to wait, sit back and watch out for a Milwaukee or other name brand deal. Go to slickdeals.net and set up an alert for "impact wrench". I think you'll find that these name brand tools are not much more (and sometimes even cheaper) than HF if you find them on sale and come with a longer warranty.

Unless you get dewalt US made or some Makita, the rest of the electric tools come from China anyway. And all the batteries do too. You’re stuck subsidizing spy balloons and new airstrips in the South China Sea.

If HF is actually making a competitive product in this space and the tool options work for you, I guess that’s great.

Last edited:
You mentioned that you have a few 3+ Ah batteries. If these are Bauer batteries and charger, the decision is easy. The Bauer line is pretty solid.

If you don't have batteries you may find better deals with major brands, as @TheOilWizard said.

Reactions: wlk
The batteries I have are for the Bauer series which is why I was looking at the Bauer impact wrench only at this time.

Reactions: wlk
The batteries I have are for the Bauer series which is why I was looking at the Bauer impact wrench only at this time.
Go for the Bauer. If you manage to wear it out quickly, replace it with a higher-end impact.

I use Ryobi and my 1/2" is almost shot. However, for $100 tool it has earned its keep.

Go for the Bauer. If you manage to wear it out quickly, replace it with a higher-end impact.

I use Ryobi and my 1/2" is almost shot. However, for $100 tool it has earned its keep.
My question is to the difference of products with the same model number by that I mean different specs for torque and such.

What is a good break away torque number for a cordless 20v impact wrench also rpm settings?

What is a good break away torque number for a cordless 20v impact wrench also rpm settings?
It depends on the size of impact you are using, a single impact is harder to live with than having some different sizes to choose from.
Today torque numbers are nothing more than marketing 1500 ft.lb is fantasy from a 1/2 impact and anything that has "break away" listed is worthless. My advise is check out the torque test channel, they do a reasonable job testing impacts of all makes and sizes, it will at least point you in the right direction, forget the "lug nut" videos they are of little or no value.

Edit: Check out shop tool reviews also.

Last edited:
Yeah Trav is right. But if I could only have one it would unquestionably be the Milwaukee Gen2 mid-torque. It falls into that space of reasonably sized and powerful enough for almost everything I do.

I don't know where it falls on numbers at TTC but there's one suggested benchmark for you.

If you live in the rust belt or primarily work on heavy equipment, you might need more power. If you're shopping primarily for topside engine work, you'll likely want smaller.

I have bigger and I have smaller, but the mid-torque is always my first choice in 1/2" drive. I don't know if the HF offerings are similar in physical size -- I just haven't been following their offerings.

HF Bauer unit 2085C-BR was listed at 475 lbs nut busting torque. Their box claim not mine. I also saw the same Bauer 2085C-BR model listed with 600 and 1000 lbs breaking torque. Just a little confused. LOL

Yes, that is the 2085C-BR. HF has been knocking it out of the park with these new cordless tools especially with the Hercules line with a 5 year warranty.

Yes, that is the 2085C-BR. HF has been knocking it out of the park with these new cordless tools especially with the Hercules line with a 5 year warranty.
Never saw same HF model with very different torque specs

I haven’t ever seen good results with the Bauer line but the Earthquake power and air tools have served me well alongside my Milwaukee stuff. I have one of the first generation battery ratchets I use at home and a 1/2 air impact. Some of the newer guys have bought the Bauer stuff and it struggles to break lug nuts loose.

I haven’t ever seen good results with the Bauer line but the Earthquake power and air tools have served me well alongside my Milwaukee stuff. I have one of the first generation battery ratchets I use at home and a 1/2 air impact. Some of the newer guys have bought the Bauer stuff and it struggles to break lug nuts loose.
Which of the 3 "same" model versions are you referring to?

Back