Brake Rotors - what causes this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this and worse on brand new Nissan Truck. Mostly use it during winter to go skiing. Rotors were shot after 2 years. Replaced with higher quality rotors and all good for now.

I do not drive the truck a lot, so that also promotes extra corrosion.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that those promoting the coated rotors are doing so under the idea that they use better metal, correct? The coating is wiped away from the surface swept by the brake pads and exposes the same raw metal to corrosion...

(And I say that as someone who has used and still does use the coated rotors).

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I'm assuming that those promoting the coated rotors are doing so under the idea that they use better metal, correct? The coating is wiped away from the surface swept by the brake pads and exposes the same raw metal to corrosion...

The coating on the rotor hats and also the side (including the vents in vented rotors) does not get wiped away
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

I think some are saying the rust migrated from the outside onto the braking surface.

That's why I said coated rotors will slow it down but not eliminate it.

Still need to drive the car to keep friction surface clean.

I agree with the concept that the coating will continue to protect the non-swept areas of the rotor better than the non-coated rotors. I've got a set of rotors on our explorer pushing 6 years now that still look like the coating is holding up pretty well in the non-swept areas. Not perfect, but they look much nicer than they would otherwise.

I'm not sure I buy into the idea the corrosion in this case migrated into the swept area from the non-coated areas. We had a seldom driven work vehicle, and its rotors looked like this after three years, even with a coated rotor being used the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back