Rotor failure

Thought I would share today's experience with a set of rotors that failed. I was expecting a seized caliper as rotor was rusty and brake pads were cleaning corrosion off other 3. After tearing it down this separation from the fins rusting away. Rotors were brand new a little over 2 years ago. O Reillys replaced them under warranty even though it said 2 year warranty. Said they have never seen this before. Last winter made a trip to visit family in snowstorm but washed it within 1 week of driving in the slushy stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_182214065.jpg
    IMG_20230829_182214065.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20230829_182226433.jpg
    IMG_20230829_182226433.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 300
Dumb question: do they salt or use mag chloride or anything else in KY?

Regardless, I'd almost guess those were sitting on a seaside dock for 10 years before being sold to you....but then the braking surface would have looked terrible, also

I’ve been here 7 years and never seen anything like that. That’s crazy! Then again here in the SF Bay Area we don’t have rust issues on stuff anyway.

most rotors are cast overseas, some good others not so much. i like EBC rotors even though more costly as stopping is MORE important than going!!! braking is NOT a place to CHEEP out IMO!!

Wow.. like everyone else has said.. just wow.. But.. I live in Michigan, so here is where salt is thrown around in crazy amounts during the winter..and I haven't had a rotor/disc die that early of a death, ever! Usually can get about 4-5 years out before they are very rusted but not falling apart.. Glad to hear you got them to replace them!

Dumb question: do they salt or use mag chloride or anything else in KY?

Regardless, I'd almost guess those were sitting on a seaside dock for 10 years before being sold to you....but then the braking surface would have looked terrible, also
Mostly salt but winters here are pretty mild that they don't have to salt too much. I have never seen rotors anywhere near close to that bad here.

OP got some wish/temu rotors right there.

That's crazy.

I had a seized caliper on sons Forte. I had to get what was available quick to get back on road. New caliper and Rotor from Autozone uncoated. I had the Raybestos Element coated ones on there (but either hose or caliper failed anyway). Pictures are ~2 year old coated caliper/rotor and then the surface rusting 6 day old one.
IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

Wow that's bad. I'm wondering if O'Reilly faced a covid era supply chain problem and sourced whatever they could find.

Depending on the area and weather, automobiles can rust pretty bad in KY, at least in my area where they salt the roads if it MIGHT snow, then if it doesn't snow much, that salty slush is super concentrated and more of it stays on the road instead of being plowed or melting/flushed off the road.

This statement is confusing:
I was expecting a seized caliper as rotor was rusty and brake pads were cleaning corrosion off other 3

There are two rotors pictured, neither looking like they had any pad contact from being driven recently.

Back