Rotor failure

Be aware that coated rotors is mostly to protect the rotor hub, and outer edge for cosmetic purposes. The paint is not sprayed into the vanes...at least not on any I have purchased over the years.

The coating is mostly to prevent them from freezing to hub! Non-coated rotors usually freeze to the hub and/or the wheel, and you need a hammer to get them off!

Geomet coating (used in Bosch, Powerstop, and some others) *is* sprayed into the vanes, and so is the E-coating that Centric and Wagner use.

NOW! I HAVE FINALLY SEEN EVERYTHING there is to see in this lifetime. It was nice being a part of this forum and I wanted to say thank you for all that contribute here and now. I'm saying this because I am fairly certain I'll pass away quietly in my sleep tonight....

NOW! I HAVE FINALLY SEEN EVERYTHING there is to see in this lifetime. It was nice being a part of this forum and I wanted to say thank you for all that contribute here and now. I'm saying this because I am fairly certain I'll pass away quietly in my sleep tonight....
Wow man. Sorry to hear this, but I guess everybody gets to the end of the game eventually. Please say hello to Elvis and Jimmy Buffett for me!

They look like rotors left laying around on the ground - no signs of brake pad contact. I guess I don't believe it.

I didn't think they could get that bad in Kentucky :poop:

I'd expect that to be more likely in New England, Minnesota, or Canada, but not Kentucky :D

This is why coated rotors are awesome :)

Pakistan :sneaky:

Wow man. Sorry to hear this, but I guess everybody gets to the end of the game eventually. Please say hello to Elvis and Jimmy Buffett for me!
Dude, Elvis is alive... Ill B sure to say hello to the others for for sure!

There are several countries where they break apart old ships for scrap. But you cannot take a ton of old ship steel and make a ton of new steel. You need to blend in new iron ore and probably carbon. Maybe they are cheating on adding enough new iron ore when making new steel.

With the O'Reilly warranty I will bet they count on people loosing the receipt or forgetting their is a warranty rather than making a high quality product that will last long beyond the warranty period.

These are the O Reilly's brand rotors and retail is around $90 each so not bottom of the barrel by price but not rust protection coated either. They replaced them.

$90 for a non-protected rotor? I guess not everything is cheaper in US than Canada :ROFLMAO:

The parts store must be making sick profit though

With the O'Reilly warranty I will bet they count on people loosing the receipt or forgetting their is a warranty rather than making a high quality product that will last long beyond the warranty period.
Every business does this. They make a large fortune on lost gift cards too. It goes without sayng but some parts like this are just made with whatever is free or cheap, in who knows where. The small clip showing the foundry next to my home here in Massachusetts (Kidding) is not that far off showing what we are buying.

Oh and by the way Donald. Some people may call you are a Dog, However, I think your a pretty Handsome guy!

Dude, Elvis is alive... Ill B sure to say hello to the others for for sure!
Jay:
You do know Elvis is dead, right?

Kay:
No, Elvis is not dead. He just went home.
1702740970068.jpg

That is the worst rotor rust I have ever seen, and the only structural damage too.

I'm in the rust belt, one of the higher salted locations. Even on winter beaters with 10+ years on rotors, zero structural concerns from rust.

The only way that occurred is a materials issue.

They look like rotors left laying around on the ground - no signs of brake pad contact. I guess I don't believe it.
I can assure you these were on the vehicle that sat for at least 6 months probably 9 before I decided I would want the 4wd for deer season. I don't really need 4wd in summer months and waited until it was cooler to work on it. There was definitely surface rust where rotor pads contact but cars sitting for a week in rain and outdoor conditions begin to build this surface rust. I have 4 cars so I alternate driving them when I want or need to.

I can assure you these were on the vehicle that sat for at least 6 months probably 9 before I decided I would want the 4wd for deer season. I don't really need 4wd in summer months and waited until it was cooler to work on it. There was definitely surface rust where rotor pads contact but cars sitting for a week in rain and outdoor conditions begin to build this surface rust. I have 4 cars so I alternate driving them when I want or need to.
sounds like a bad mix of metalurgy.. I remember there were others in the 2000s that had a bad mix for discs/rotors causing warping back then. But dang.. not normal (As everyone has indicated) glad you got it replaced!

Back