Boxed Havoline now available in full synthetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it works just fine from the videos. More environmentally sound disposal as well.

The videos are interesting. I guess I'm the only person here that would still rather use plastic jugs. Oh well, I'll convert when I have no other choices.

I'd like to see this done with quarts as well. The cardboard could be like a cereal box with the plastic bladder inside. It would be harder for varmints to return used oil as new at Wally's.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'd like to see this done with quarts as well. The cardboard could be like a cereal box with the plastic bladder inside. It would be harder for varmints to return used oil as new at Wally's.

Good point

Apparently only for sale (so far) at Walmart. Also - they might need to update their FAQ since the last answer seems to be incorrect given the OP's photo. I don't know if this is going to show up well with a light gray background, but it says it's a Walmart exclusive.

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/e...ands/havoline/havoline-smart-change.html

[Linked Image]

Why is Havoline Smart Change® not available in full synthetic?

Decisions on which products to stock is up to the retailer. Consumers are always welcome to raise product stocking requests to the attention of the local retailer.

Originally Posted by wemay

Good point

I think this idea opens up a lot of positives besides the recycling and less plastic part. Stocking and distribution should be easier with square units versus jugs. Shelf space could be optimized as well.

Originally Posted by wemay
Looks like it works just fine from the videos. More environmentally sound disposal as well.

I believe it's legal to dispose of any residual unused motor oil in the trash since it's not considered hazardous waste. However, many places I know that recycle plastics will take containers without used oil. The last time I was trying to get rid of some jugs used to store used oil (I've got way more than I need) - after pouring the used oil out in their barrels. A recycling center employee told me to just toss them in with the other #2 plastics even though the sign there said "clean containers only". The other thing was that the bin smelled like laundry detergent and fabric softener that weren't thoroughly rinsed out. So most of them weren't really that clean. Also reminds me of the movie Superbad where a teen pours out Tide liquid laundry detergent and uses the jugs to store liquor. Having done laundry before and rinsed out used containers, it would still smell like Tide.

I like the 6 quart quantity and I see that it is d1G2, so it's probably pretty much the same as every other 5W30 I've used lately.
At my transfer station, they ask the oil recyclers like me to put the empty jugs and bottles into a dedicated container once we pour the oil out...I would guess that these are not recycled but don't know for sure. I would think they would just be put into the single stream recycling path if they were actually going to be recycled.
Can't say that I've seen Havoline at the WMs around here, but I'd have no issue with buying boxes of oil instead of 5qt jugs.

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
Could someone list the Walmart stock number for this please. Thanks.

Sam

It's not on their website yet. Only the conventional and HM versions, and even then the HM versions are sold out online.

I had a 26 qt box of oil once with the plastic bag inside. The majority of the oil drained out of the bag without any real effort on my part.

I had concerns about it also, but after using it, no problem using one again.
As said, depending on sump size, you may need to buy a measuring container (I just used an old 5 qt oil jug) if you don't have a 6 qt sump.
I have 2 vehicles that are 6 qt, so these would work perfect in them, if I ever run out of my stash of oil. Not that I have seen Havoline around here for years.
The price is good also, as said, just a touch more than Supertech syn, but if you need 6 qts, you would have to either buy 2 jugs or a $5.68 1/qt bottle.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I hope this is not the wave of the future, but have a feeling it is. I'd rather have my oil in bottles, just the way they are now. So I can continue to refill them with waste oil and recycle them that way. Flame suit on.

Unless every drop can be had from this packaging, I also see it as more of an environmental issue than the bottles they replace.

Yep. It's comical to watch my wife rip the plastic bag out of her wine boxes to get the last glass out of it. She's a tightwad. Meh. I like the plastic bottles.

Could it be that boxed oils will become the next bickering point on BITOG besides thin oil and GDI engines?

Why not?

That is nice, but availability and actually purchasing Havoline FS is another topic!

As previously stated, can't site to store. I've requested items in the past to no avail at WallyWorld.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Could it be that boxed oils will become the next bickering point on BITOG besides thin oil and GDI engines?

Why not?

I'm waiting for the ultimate thread. Can I use boxed Havoline 0w20 in my TGDI engine?

Good for 50 pages at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back