Boxed Havoline now available in full synthetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Merek
Originally Posted by PimTac
That sounds like it will be some time Merk considering your large stash you described in another thread.
Never know I might be stocking up some boxed oil at some point... evidently I do have a problem lol.

Wait, is this Merk or Merek?

Originally Posted by kschachn

No different person, he's from Ohio, I'm in VA.

I wasn't even sure who Merk was I was just wondering about the spelling.

I wasn't even sure who Merk was I was just wondering about the spelling.

My autocorrect put in Merk. Oops.

I wished growing up that I would've paid more attention to my uncle, he was a mechanic in the Air Force back in the 50's, at home he was all the time working with lawn mowers and small engines. I remember seeing boxes and quart bottles of Chevron oil around in his building and according to my dad he used Chevron in all of his small engines but used Valvoline in his car which he always had a Thunderbird that I could remember, one was an early to mid 80's then late 80's early 90's one and then he had a mid 90's w/ 4.6.

Moral of the story is that he loved using Chevron, for some reason it seems for the most part that Ford guys will only use Motorcraft or Valvoline oil.

I wished growing up that I would've paid more attention to my uncle, he was a mechanic in the Air Force back in the 50's, at home he was all the time working with lawn mowers and small engines. I remember seeing boxes and quart bottles of Chevron oil around in his building and according to my dad he used Chevron in all of his small engines but used Valvoline in his car which he always had a Thunderbird that I could remember, one was an early to mid 80's then late 80's early 90's one and then he had a mid 90's w/ 4.6.

Moral of the story is that he loved using Chevron, for some reason it seems for the most part that Ford guys will only use Motorcraft or Valvoline oil.

Oil in the 50s was pretty abysmal to be honest. Today's oils from any major manufacturer/blender are far superior.

A lot of us still have sentimental reasons for using a certain brand of oil just as many have the same reasons for a certain brand of car.

I started out using Havoline just like my father did in the metal can days. Today's Havoline of course is not the Texaco brand it was back then but there is still that sentimental attraction. Made by Chevron, it has to be good.

I tried out a 6 qt box of the 0W20 today. Attached a close-able spout on the box opening and adjusted the flow volume into the funnel going in the crankcase. Very easy. Just laid the box on the engine cover. I took the funnel and put into the empty Havoline box and poured the dirty oil in, then capped it off. Easiest and fastest oil change ever.

I used the 5W30 pro ds this last weekend.

My truck uses a little over 5.5 quarts so I was a little concerned about the ease of using box measurements for that half quart but it was a piece of cake. Got it close - checked the dipstick- added in the small remaining amount I needed. I poured the remainder into a used quart bottle to check the amounts. I use the remainder for my yard equipment or my older vehicle that uses a little bit, since my truck doesn't use any oil.

Super easy to pour from the box, great control with no glug what so ever. No mess, and very little plastic went in the trash. The box was very sturdy and I'd have no worries about treating it roughly. Aside from soaking the cardboard there isn't really anything you could do to the box that wouldn't cause a leak in a bottle. It's not like that plastic is super strong.

Last edited:
My 2016 Grand Caravan takes six quarts. I will probably switch to the Havoline Full Synthetic box when my current stash depletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back