Bought 2014 Camry and cold start noisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treat this as a valuable lesson, that's about as much as you can do at this point. Used car buying is a gamble, especially if you have to rely on others to tell you the condition of the product.

However, if you bought Toyota certified pre-owned that means you have an extended Toyota warranty. So, keep on driving and monitor the situation. If it gets worse or louder, record and bring it back to them.

Recording any wired noises is quite helpful and any dealer worth something will not dismiss it. That's how I got the HVAC blower replaced in my minivan. The noise was happening under rare condition and I recorded it. My dealer replaced it based on that, no other diagnostics were performed.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You didn't honestly believe "Certified" meant much more than a walk around did you?

+1

I went and looked at a “Certified” used Chevy Cruze once, it was covered in dents and scratches, such as something fell on the trunk lid and dented it. The a/c performance was pretty bad too, which the salesman said “that’s what everyone says about the Cruzes”.

At this point I would bite the bullet and take it to a real unbiased mechanic for fluid changes, brake/suspension/steering inspection, scan tool/electrical inspection, leak down and compression test and a general good going over then present the Toyota dealer with the shopping list if there is one. Get in touch with Toyota zone if have to if they blow you off.

You didn't honestly believe "Certified" meant much more than a walk around did you?

Umm I did. Oh well lesson learned.

At this point I would bite the bullet and take it to a real unbiased mechanic for fluid changes, brake/suspension/steering inspection, scan tool/electrical inspection, leak down and compression test and a general good going over then present the Toyota dealer with the shopping list if there is one. Get in touch with Toyota zone if have to if they blow you off.

This is good advice. Might need to look into my friend shop and see if we find something or not.

Originally Posted By: Rohan
Anyway I’m going to change the oil when my next service come and will change it to 5w30.

This would be a bad idea if the noise you are complaining about turns out to actually be a problem and you want to get Toyota to pay for the repairs.
Per the owners manual:
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for
good fuel economy and good
starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available,
SAE 5W-20 oil may be used.
However, it must be replaced
with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil
change.
Not that you can't use 5w-30, it will be perfectly fine, but you will be totally on-your-own if you use it and there is an internal engine failure down the road.

Your Camry will last another 20 years with those noises. Lesson learned as to what the CPO covers.

I never bought a 'certified' pre owned vehicle. I've only bought non certified used cars.

I looked at a MB E350 for a guy last year that was "certified", what a mess this thing was. A certifiable toilet is what it was.
This car needed at least 3-4K to get it right, it was destined to be a nightmare to own right off the hop. Nothing bad about the car itself it was lack of maintenance that had manifested into all sort of other issues.
Certified is an advertising term certified to get the unknowing in the door and usually means absolutely nothing.

Buying a certified used vehicle will NOT necessarily get you a better vehicle than another one that is not certified, but you WILL pay more money for it.
A certified used vehicle will NOT be worth more money when you sell/trade it. The certification extended warranty is NOT transferable. If you are worried about having a warranty, buy a non-certified used vehicle for a lower price and purchase an extended warranty. You will probably end up spending about the same money and the extended warranty you purchase will be more comprehensive and transferable (or refundable for the portion you don't use). The extended warranties that come with used vehicle certification give you very limited coverage and typically don't cover pre-existing defects (read the fine print).
Just because a used vehicle is being sold as "certified" does NOT mean that you don't need to have it professionally inspected. Paying to have a used vehicle professionally inspected by YOUR OWN experienced/qualified mechanic prior to purchase is the best/only way that you can be reasonably sure you are buying a good vehicle and not a potential nightmare. If your mechanic finds something wrong with it, you can negotiate to have it repaired before you buy it, good luck trying to get something repaired by the dealer after you buy it. If your mechanic finds something wrong with the used vehicle that you are not comfortable with and will lose sleep over, WALK AWAY! Life is too short and there are plenty of other used vehicles available to choose from.

Last edited:
Sorry guy I never came back to my thread. I appreciate your advices anyway lesson learn. According to everyone I talk to this is normal noise and nothing to worry about. I will keep on continue using 0w20 for rest of the life of the engine until it die.

Thanks you everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back