Bought 2014 Camry and cold start noisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Rohan
Isn’t there a law that we have 30 days to return the car or less?

I seriously doubt that, it would be insane. Its a Toyota certified car just take it back and ask them to check it out, its not big deal.
Don't do a nutty on them or you will get the short end of that stick, act like its not a real issue for you (it really shouldn't be) you want it looked at and fixed if necessary.

I’m going to take it to different dealership that’s close it to my house and show them a video and go from there.i know they are going to tell me leave it night which I know next days they will tell me it’s normal and I know it not normal. Let see what happens.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Start documenting and keep records of everything including video evidence.

If you get push back from the dealer, go to another dealer and then contact Toyota corporate.

You purchased a "certified Toyota" which should have been checked and should be in excellent condition.

Take a close read of the terms and conditions of purchase including certified Toyota terms. If you want to change to a different car, it could be possible.

This is good advice. A certified pre owned warranty is a factory warranty, you can take it to any toyota dealer.

Video and audio evidence is key if it only does the noise under certain conditions.

Some states have a 3 day return period on any product built into law. Check into it.

Any idea how I can find out about state law for returning car. If I bought on January 31th then I have until today so I guess it too late.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How cold?

What oil filter is on there?

Idk what oil filter is there unless I change the oil.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Maybe I've been driving Toyotas too long because I don't hear any grinding or abnormal noises in that video.

All the noise is at the first second of the video. Turn your volume up before you click start.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Did you change the oil after you took possession? Just because it came from a Toyota dealership doesn't mean they gave it a proper fluid treatment.

This. After 3 minutes any benign noises should have long attenuated. Make sure the crankcase isn't full of Lucas Oil Stabilizer as a means to mask consumption.

Idk what oil filter is there unless I change the oil.

I'd be doing that asap, just to know exactly what's in there.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Maybe I've been driving Toyotas too long because I don't hear any grinding or abnormal noises in that video.

All the noise is at the first second of the video. Turn your volume up before you click start.

Thanks. I hear it now. Never heard that sound in one of my cars.

Could be the VVT-i related start-up rattle

Unfortunately, kind of a habitual thing for Toyota's

There is a TSB for MY10-12 cars, gotta double check for yours

I'd take it into Toyota, and have them take a listen

While it's there, see if you can get the torque converter shudder ECM reflash if it hasn't already been done

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In the video it sounds like the top end is starved for oil upon startup,like all of the oil had drained down into the pan and none remained in the top end. I wonder if it's low on oil?
What keeps the oil from draining out of the passages when the engine is not running?

I hear mainly injectors. Most all new cars with wet timing and VVT make too much racket IMO.

I sec of noise = chain slack during TCT getting taken up; All my cars do this ( or worse) ex. a Honda I had with a mechanical TCT.

Toyota oil filter is no guarantee of a "good" filter. I came on this forum years ago BC my wifes '05 rav 4 and my yaris made terrible noises after oil change with Thai Deso Toyota service filters. Put the OE Japon Denso on - no noise, put the thai denso back on sound like top end and VVT completely starved. So yeah, there was DEF a issue that was ignored NO QUESTION!

Hydraulic VVT = junk most of the time soon enough, IMO. Hard to avoid hydraulic VVT these days.

tO many gizmo to break in bad places. Time to go back to an early 70's car.

Far a DD, I pick Dart swinger with a 318 2 bbl transplant and a 3 on the tree
smile.gif

How bout you!?

Last edited:
Our 2014.5 Camry does this. It started at right around 50k miles and continues to this day at past 100k. It sounds horrible on the first start of the day so I did some research and IIRC it was related to a pin or dowel on the VVT gear that eats itself and allows the gear to rattle around until the oil pressure builds. You could have the gear replaced but it will happen again shortly. It has never mattered what kind of oil filter was used on our Camry, it's a damaged part.

Last edited:
It probably has a small nylon filter somewhere in that system, if that gets clogged it will make some noises. The Toyota mechanic will sort it out under warranty.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In the video it sounds like the top end is starved for oil upon startup,like all of the oil had drained down into the pan and none remained in the top end. I wonder if it's low on oil?
What keeps the oil from draining out of the passages when the engine is not running?

God I have no idea of the science behind it,but something must be amiss because it seems like a rare phenomenon. I've never owned a car that did this,nor anyone I know. I can leave both of my cars unstarted for weeks and the very first startup is smooth and silent,absolutely no noises whatsoever. I'm thinking either an internal engine flaw or an engine that's low on oil causes the startup rattle. You can definitely tell it's in the top end from the upper spectrum of the sound.

My sister has a Camry that's about to hit 200,000 miles and that's the smoothest most quiet engine I've ever heard. Our dad's friend who owns a quick lube shop has done the oil changes on it since new with pyb 5W30 every 3K (pyb is his "house oil").

Purchased from Toyota dealerships under certified Toyota which has 12 months or 12k mileage warranty.

That's the bumper to bumper warranty. The car should also have a 7yr/100k powertrain warranty. The 2012 here has a 1 sec start up rattle that didn't change going from TGMO 0w20 to PUP 5w20. A 10k UOA using TGMO at the 60k mark came back with excellent results.

I did start up a 2014 Camry at the Chevy dealer that just had an oil change there. Started it up cold first thing in the morning and hardly any noise. But this was outside and this car only had 30k miles on it.

Talk to the service manager at one of these Toyo dealers and tell him or her the issue. If you talk to a service advisor who's paycheck is commissioned based they will probably want to blow you off.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Making a stink about wanting a refund wont get you very far.

Actually it can.

I sold cars for a while and I remember at least one customer coming back and raising such [censored] that they took the car back.

Is this VVTi noise typically on vehicles with the VVT on the intake cam only, or both intake and exhaust?

My 07 Tacoma V6 has VVTi on the intake side only. Later models have it on both.

I drop off the car at the dealership and told me mine is 2014.5 and they can’t update the ecu for torque converter( she said it not listed for 2014.5). They said they will look into the noisy sound about that and sale person told me that I cannot return the car.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Making a stink about wanting a refund wont get you very far.

Actually it can.

I sold cars for a while and I remember at least one customer coming back and raising such [censored] that they took the car back.

Isn’t up to them if they want to take it back or not. My salesman told me no return policy here. Or who do I need to talk to or hire lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back