Bought 2014 Camry and cold start noisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rohan
Isn’t up to them if they want to take it back or not. My salesman told me no return policy here. Or who do I need to talk to or hire lawyer?

See if they have another one in stock that doesn't make the noise. Usually they will be more inclined to offer another unit in stock as a replacement. As mentioned if you become a big enough pain you will get what you want. Usually they just tell you "No" right off the bat because that takes care of most people, say 95% of them. A lawyer will just cost you more money.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Making a stink about wanting a refund wont get you very far.

Actually it can.

I sold cars for a while and I remember at least one customer coming back and raising such [censored] that they took the car back.

Isn’t up to them if they want to take it back or not. My salesman told me no return policy here. Or who do I need to talk to or hire lawyer?

Do you have a loan on your used car ?

I ask cause that might complicate things...

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Making a stink about wanting a refund wont get you very far.

Actually it can.

I sold cars for a while and I remember at least one customer coming back and raising such [censored] that they took the car back.

My dad is a retired attorney and owned his own practice. He charged $125 an hour and that was years as he's been retired since 2004.
His hourly rate was essentially a lot higher on other things. He charged a flat fee like $1500 for a misdemeanor if it was plea bargained or dismissed, add $1000 if it went to trial.

Originally Posted By: ECUpirate
Our 2014.5 Camry does this. It started at right around 50k miles and continues to this day at past 100k. It sounds horrible on the first start of the day so I did some research and IIRC it was related to a pin or dowel on the VVT gear that eats itself and allows the gear to rattle around until the oil pressure builds. You could have the gear replaced but it will happen again shortly. It has never mattered what kind of oil filter was used on our Camry, it's a damaged part.

^ ^ ^ ^
This is the answer to the whole thread and coincides with the statement of the guy that made the video.
Now we'll see how many people skip over ECUpirate's post and keep speculating needlessly.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Check the pcv valve, if applicable, to see if it is clean.

I believed they are hard to get to. Need to take off the intake manifold to change the Pcv valve.

Did anyone hear the noise from my video?

Not completely sure. Sounded pretty much like every motor I have at startup to be honest.

I think mine has that rattle also, and has had it for a long time. I presume it's the VVT rattling around, until oil pressure comes up and gets everything pumped up properly.

Is this normal noise?

Yes, normal and a lot quieter than some other ones I've heard. Even a 2014 Camry with only 30k on it was a lot louder than yours.

So rattle noise is normal?

Dealership said they won’t update the ecu software for torque converter because off mine is 2014.5 and it not listed and I think they are [censored] with me. On the forum some people had it updated on 2014.5. I don’t know if I have 2014 or 2014.5.

Here’s the person that had a transmission replaced and his was 2014.5:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-ca.../topics/1560386

Last edited:
What month was it built? You can see by opening the front driver's side door and checking the label inside the door jamb.

Yes the one second noise at start up is normal. You should hear some Honda and Subaru engines run, very noisy also.

So rattle noise is normal?

Dealership said they won’t update the ecu software for torque converter because off mine is 2014.5 and it not listed and I think they are [censored] with me. On the forum some people had it updated on 2014.5. I don’t know if I have 2014 or 2014.5.

Here’s the person that had a transmission replaced and his was 2014.5:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-ca.../topics/1560386

ok I may be asking the obvious here, but if you don't like the answers/treatment you're getting from that Toyota dealer.. Why not go to another one? I wouldn't accept just one dealer's answer not when you think they're upset with you.. In my experience the less knowledgeable, less competent shops are the ones that get upset when they cannot answer the questions. The good shops (more intelligent, capable) welcome the more complex questions.

Did anyone hear the noise from my video?

I listened to it. Your engine is fine. The guy's Camry in that other video however, has got major problems.

If you're using 0W-20 right now, switching to 5W-30 might quiet the engine down some.

Toyota told me that I can not refund the car. What other option I have if I wanted to return it? Isn’t there a law that we have 30 days to return the car or less?

NO, not on a USED vehicle. On NEW vehicles there are lemon laws that protect you and you can get a refund on a vehicle if you meet some specific requirements. Some DEALERS offer a short money-back guaranty on used vehicles (usually a week or less), but it is strictly a dealer offer, not a law. You would be spinning-your-wheels (and wasting your money) hiring an attorney to sue or threaten to sue the dealer over this.
Have the dealer's service department check the car out in response to your specific complaint, and get their results/diagnosis in writing. If they proclaim that the car is OK and the noise is normal, then drive it and don't worry about it. If there is a failure down the road relating to the noise, then you have something in writing and you have a legitimate complaint that you can take to Toyota. Also, you have a good civil legal case if you don't get satisfaction. Just make sure that you maintain the car meticulously (by the book, or better, using the factory recommended oil/fluids) and keep complete/accurate records because you will likely have to prove that you did.

Last edited:
Ok thank you for all of y’all help. Got the car back from the dealership today and they kept it for 2 days and they told me that they didn’t hear any noise. But they told me that they top off my brake fuild and washer fluid. I asked them about if they checked the transmission fluid and said no. In order for them to check it I have to pay from my pocket. I bought a used Toyota certified car and they have not maintain the fuilds level. This is [censored]. What is the point of buying used certified car if is not fully inspected before they sell it to public.

Anyway I’m going to change the oil when my next service come and will change it to 5w30.

The car was built in September and I called the Toyota corporate just to verified if mine is 2014.5 or not and they told me mine is 2014.5 because it was built in September. And that’s why I’m not covered for torque converter like other people are between 2012-2014. Maybe 2014.5 has beefed torque converter? That’s why no complaining about the transmission or not enough production made for 2014.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back