It’s been a while . 2009 honda accord 2.4l cold start rattle noise

Hi every one . It’s been a while . Hope every one doing good .

In 2019 I bought a 2011 honda accord 2.4l it does have the rattle noise at start up VTC . After a years I don’t own it any more . I gave it away .

Now today I just bought a 2009 honda accord 2.4l . 160k It does make a same noise 1-2 second rattle only at cold start .

Since then any one figure out to fix this ? I heard even after dealer replace VTC ( $1,000) . It still make same noise down the road

Beside just to live with it . Or turn off turn on key trick . Any update on fix this with engine oil ?

Are you referring to the VVT cam sprockets rattling on start up? Almost every OHC vehicle with VVT makes a brief rattle from the cam phasers on start up. Toyota seems to be the loudest I have experienced.
Your car has the K24 engine which is a gem, basically bullet proof. Don't worry about it.
Edit: I believe there is a solenoid block on the back of the cylinder head, I'm not sure if it's a VTEC or a VVT solenoid but there is a metal screen in there that might be an issue if its partially blocked.
Another edit: The solenoid on the backside IS for VTEC, on the FRONT there is a VTC strainer and screen. I would check that first, if it's good and clean don't lose sleep.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2023-06-11 8.18.20 AM.jpg

Run thicker oil in it and maybe try a run w Rislone in it first, maybe something is sticking and the Rislone will help free

Are you referring to the VVT cam sprockets rattling on start up? Almost every OHC vehicle with VVT makes a brief rattle from the cam phasers on start up. Toyota seems to be the loudest I have experienced.
Your car has the K24 engine which is a gem, basically bullet proof. Don't worry about it.
Edit: I believe there is a solenoid block on the back of the cylinder head, I'm not sure if it's a VTEC or a VVT solenoid but there is a metal screen in there that might be an issue if its partially blocked.
Another edit: The solenoid on the backside IS for VTEC, on the FRONT there is a VTC strainer and screen. I would check that first, if it's good and clean don't lose sleep.
Love your reply . Thank you sir

I like the original version myself in the qt bottle. Disregard the nano prime, what came up when looking for a pic. I bought the same 6 pack

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230611-091434.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611-091434.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 38
There is an updated part that was released years ago by Honda. I had it replaced under warranty on my 2012 Accord and it did significantly reduce the frequency of the rattle on start up. It still did happen on occasion but not nearly as often. Oil grade made no difference by the way, just run what the owners manual says.

There is an updated part that was released years ago by Honda. I had it replaced under warranty on my 2012 Accord and it did significantly reduce the frequency of the rattle on start up. It still did happen on occasion but not nearly as often. Oil grade made no difference by the way, just run what the owners manual says.

Yesterday when it was 100 degree . Mine does it every time I crank no matter I let it sit 1 hours or 3 hours

Sent a message or conversation I guess its called.

This is the fix, not the best video. Some folks are adding another small longer spring, rather than stretching it, or even a new same diameter spring only a bit longer or stronger. And yes for CRV as well.

Last edited:
I know quite a bit about this. The rattle happens because oil is draining out of the VTC actuator (intake cam gear). And the rattle is the result of oil being absent until oil pressure fills the cam retard chamber. Thicker oil DOES help, but the spring that acts upon the locking pin is the key component in stopping the rattle.

You just need to replace the spring and work over the locking pin in the actuator and most times the rattle will go away and not return. Work the pin over with some abrasives until it moves in and out of it's detent freely. Many do not. Honda did make updated actuators, and, many had the rattle return.

Other factors come into play with the rattle, like bad timing chain tensioners. You really need to replace these anyway, as failure is catastrophic. A stretched timing chain (from overheating due to low oil) can also contribute to the rattle.

I really believe that 0w-20 is too thin for these motors (or any motor) and this exacerbates the rattle. 5w-30 is what I run and it cut my rattle in half in terms of volume and duration. My motor is also silent now, running Castrol GTX full synthetic (previously Magnatec). I am going to switch to Castrol Edge 10w-30 while we still are in summer and I'm betting the rattle may even disappear.

I think that the thicker oil acts as a cushion but also stops the oil from draining down as fast, or at all perhaps.

You can buy a spring replacement kit at spring-start.com

Last edited:
Change the spring

Back