Bonuses are great but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither has the idea of "let the powers that be distribute everything" either.... Go hang in in a nation 90 minutes south of Florida. Or better yet look at well that idea panned out east of the iron curtain before that fell.

bbhero, or you could look at Scandinavia, etc.

Nowhere they have such poverty and misery. They will not kick out a patient onto the street in freezing weather with just a gown on. Their veterans don't live on the streets and don't freeze to death every winter. 30% of their kids don't go to bed hungry.

Plenty of examples if you care to look

Originally Posted By: maximus
Yall better watch it! This is almost political in nature. Someone might be offended.

IBTL.

No this is talking business and business ethics there is nothing political about it! Keep it that way~

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
bbhero, or you could look at Scandinavia, etc.

Nowhere they have such poverty and misery. They will not kick out a patient onto the street in freezing weather with just a gown on. Their veterans don't live on the streets and don't freeze to death every winter. 30% of their kids don't go to bed hungry.

Plenty of examples if you care to look

Veterans that live on the streets are many times there bc that's what they choose. Our VA system is pretty amazing considering the number they deal with. Folks don't get kicked out of hospitals in the cold with gowns on. Apparently you have seen one example of a bad thing and you immediately assume the whole U.S. is like that. Scandanavian counties pay much higher taxes. They don't have the medical facilities that we have. They don' have the high percentage of great universities we have. I could go on.

Wh don't you just go elsewhere if there are somany better places to live? Oh wait..you have it too good here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Any companies now giving these bonuses. Will they be permanent?

Actually the wealthy own the vast majority of stocks in this country, not middle class workers.

So lets punish the wealthy that pay 95% of the taxes again??

How are they punished. Wouldn't they still be wealthy anyways?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
What difference does it make how much the stockholders will receive? They invested in the company expecting a return on their investment. Some investments make money and some don't, so there is no guarantee that an investment will pay a return. That is a gamble all investors take. If you want to invest your $$ in the market, buy a S&P 500 index mutual fund. Over the years, the unmanaged funds have done better than the managed funds.

It makes a difference because the workers are doing the work. Day in and day out. Investors only put up money and no sweat equity. It should at least be a 50/50 split shouldn't it?

Companies have a fiduciary responsibility only to shareholders. Not to employees.

Well if that's the case why are they giving any of these bonuses then they should give it all the shareholders?

The employees are a major reason why a business succeeds or fails.

First of all, investors take on risk so they can make a return, and if the risk is lower the asset price up right away to reflect that, in theory. Workers really are there to do their jobs and collect a paycheck (base salary, bonus, stocks, options, benefits, retirement plan, whatever you call that), nothing more and nothing less, in theory. Consumers are there to get the best deal, paying minimum to get the maximum.

The problem usually happens when one side has a monopoly and can make a lot of money off the other 2's back. You see that in cartels, unions, pricing collapse, etc. In theory when the market is balanced all 3 side get a stable and predictable deal, but in reality it is never always like that.

Paying 70% profit margin? Layoff workers because you drove out all the competitions? Pricing collapse or gouging? Losing your shirt because suddenly your products are no longer in fashion? Losing your job because of "disruptive change in the industry"? Yup, we've seen it all, nothing new under the sun.

None of them are holier than the other 2, just there to make a quick buck. Why should I reward the investors as a consumer? I'd not care if they lose their investment if someone else can do it for cheap. I'd also not care if the workers go laid off either. I'm sure the workers on strike won't care if my garbage is not collected or can't take my bus to work. I'm sure Enron didn't think about what it means when project death star blackout my neighborhood or bankrupt my utility provider.

Welcome to Capitalism.

Last edited:

Actually the wealthy own the vast majority of stocks in this country, not middle class workers.

Typical liberal answer.
If a robber took half their wealth they will still be wealthy. What's your point?

Last edited:
Veterans that live on the streets are many times there bc that's what they choose. Our VA system is pretty amazing considering the number they deal with.

Do you mean they choose to join the military and get PTSD or injured by a road side bomb? or they choose to be one of "the number they deal with".

I usually don't encourage people to join military because of the physical risk involved and other personal ideological reason. However I would never be a person that blame the veteran who went out there to take the risk for his nation, regardless of which nation he is from and which military he joined, nor would I blame him for using a service setup to take care of him.

Last edited:
Very few are combat veterans compared to the ENTIRE military.

My brother works at the VA and lots of drug addicts and alcoholics that never seen a day of combat.

The "income" pays the tax, not the wealthy. If the income is consolidated on 1 individual vs spread across 100k individuals, and still get taxed at the same long term capital gain rate, do you think having 1 individual making all the income taxed the same will be "punishing him"?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
no, they will not be an annual thing. I'm also sure that this is more of a PR thing to obscure the news of the store closing.

Depends on the company. I have seen companies that pay cold hard cash in base salary that is equivalent to all the other funny paper money from others, but if you are not needed you are out the next month with only 1 month severance. I've also seen companies that pay you mostly in stocks and low base salary, and you may get lucky if the stock goes up in valve and got a huge paycut if your stock tank.

One thing for sure is every company now is trying to cut labor, because it is the most expensive thing in the world. Even if the company is making mad money, it will still try to cut the $11/hr they are paying you. So, if you can, it is better to be on the side who automate the job market away than on the side to be automated, no matter who hires you or how much money they make (they are not obligated to share it with you). I realize this and I have no guilt demanding as much as I can regardless of how much my employer is making or not making.

Last edited:
Guys it's Friday. Let's all chill and have a nice weekend. Plenty of time to talk politics during the work week.

I think most corporations who are giving a $1000 are doing it for public perception. They want to appear to be spreading the wealth, rewarding employees. They do not to look like a cheap a$$ who kept all the extra from lower corp taxes for themselves.

In reality a $1000 one time bonus is not a huge deal to most people. At Travelers it's only for people earning under $75k.

I think most corporations who are giving a $1000 are doing it for public perception. They want to appear to be spreading the wealth, rewarding employees. They do not to look like a cheap a$$ who kept all the extra from lower corp taxes for themselves.

In reality a $1000 one time bonus is not a huge deal to most people. At Travelers it's only for people earning under $75k.

What a dark cloud you are.

A $1000 bonus is a great perk from any company to any employee. An employer isn't obligated to give these bonus checks. To say that it's just for "public perception" is a pretty half-baked idea.

Maybe somebody should ask the employees that are receiving these bonuses, since they are so pitiful (your perception), if they appreciate the money? I think I know the answer.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Guys it's Friday. Let's all chill and have a nice weekend. Plenty of time to talk politics during the work week.

Not politics... Finance and labor discussion.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

What a dark cloud you are.

A $1000 bonus is a great perk from any company to any employee. An employer isn't obligated to give these bonus checks. To say that it's just for "public perception" is a pretty half-baked idea.

Maybe somebody should ask the employees that are receiving these bonuses, since they are so pitiful (your perception), if they appreciate the money? I think I know the answer.

Of course they do. But they would really appreciate it every year if the company is making more money.

Typical liberal answer.
If a robber took half their wealth they will still be wealthy. What's your point?

Great point....but I fear lost on the inebriated.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If you work hard you should get a bonus.

That's a nice thought....but is the word "should" just that, a nice word? Or do you think an employee bonus should be mandated or required by some entity? I don't really know what your point is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back