Boeing "Announces" The "Return" Of The 727 ????

This guy puts forth a lot of blather, rambling, and word salad, but puts forth little factual information. It's almost as if the whole thing is a form of clickbait. The video claims Boeing is going to "reintroduce" the 727, but doesn't actually say how or when. Or in what form.

Are they going to only update older airframes that are near the end of their service life? Or start building new airframes? He doesn't say, or explain what is actually meant by "reintroducing" an almost 60 year old aircraft.

Are there even enough convertible airframes out there to warrant such an expensive undertaking? Again nothing. And none of this is backed by any statements directly from Boeing in their own words. Just silent video of their people.

I'm assuming "Dan" is a.k.a. "D. B.".

He actually went by the name “Dan” when he checked in/did the hijacking. No “B.” at all. The “D.B.” was an error by a Portland newspaper reporter, but it stuck.

One time I was at the Museum of Flight w/my dad - not long ago as it was during Covid I recall. We were in the outdoor pavillion and I heard a guy gesturing towards the cargo door on the 727 and talking to his buddy. So I started eavesdropping, figuring he might have a good story. Turned out he was one of the line engineers who was responsible for retrofitting the ‘Cooper Vane’ on 727s after the hijacking. We talked w/him a while and heard a few amusing anecdotes.

ETA: BTW, this is the “Cooper Vane” added to 727 production and retrofit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_vane

The 727 was my preferred way to travel back then, mainly because it was so quiet with the engines in the back. However, there is no chance it will be brought back when two engines can more than do the job far more economically that the three on a 727. The only way it might happen would be two modern engines in the back. I am not and engineer and do not even begin to know if that is practical.

There's almost no such thing when it comes to fuel costs. At least that's what I found when I owned a trucking company. Swap out mudflaps gain 0.15 mpg. Remove the visor gain 0.3 mpg. Add AirTabs gain 0.35 mpg. Most people would think those small numbers mean nothing. But when a truck drives over 100,000 miles a year it turns into real money.
... and then multiply that by a fleet of 200 (or 500, or 1000) trucks. I get it.

Similarly, I saw a story some years ago about how a certain population of drivers could avoid pumping (some huge number of) kgs of CO2 into the air. It turned out to be a story from the EU, and involved an initiative to encourage Belgian drivers to keep their tires inflated to spec.

We were in Minnesota a few years ago and heard a radio story in which the EPA was encouraging people to charge their cell phones at home rather than in the car. They figured the small additional load on the charging system x 200M cars x 12,000 miles/year/car, resulted in a lot of extra gasoline being used annually.

We were in Minnesota a few years ago and heard a radio story in which the EPA was encouraging people to charge their cell phones at home rather than in the car. They figured the small additional load on the charging system x 200M cars x 12,000 miles/year/car, resulted in a lot of extra gasoline being used annually.
I'm surprised they didn't tell them not to listen to the radio. :rolleyes:

After my stint flying them, I used to see the UPS B727s with RR Tay engines which had bigger inlets and were much more efficient, and quieter.

My airline bought the A320 to replace them.

A 727 flew into CVG a few months ago. I was outside and thought it was a fighter going over, I looked up and just caught a glimpse of it. Pulled it up in Flightaware and it was a charter 727-200. Forgot how loud them suckers are.

You may see a rare one here and there, but they are not coming back.

Back