Sick and tired of the "listening"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever you keyboard commandos want to call it.

I've known, without a shadow of doubt, that big tech has been listening to conversations through our phones/etc for almost 10 years. My wife and I noticed it years and years ago. It was only a thing or two here and there once every 2 weeks or so.

A few years ago, it seems like most of the low-IQ population started inquiring about it, big tech said "ya ya, ya, ya, Terms of Service, you agreed to it, ha"

Ok, I get it. Whatever. It's a known quantity now. I don't care what you turn on or off, whatever, it still happens.

I'm just sick of it.

I've noticed it has bled over into my YouTube suggestions hard the last 3-4 months. My boss has been talking incessantly about fixing a darn toilet at his house. All these gadgets at HD for this and that, blah, blah, blah. Now I'm getting toilet repair videos on YT. A few weeks ago, my wife had mention TWICE that she wanted to make her some macaroni salad. BAM! For a week, I'm seeing suggested videos on YT for, you guessed it, macaroni salad.

This goes on and on. A few years ago I walked by the frozen pizza cases at Publix one evening. I didn't even open the freezer doors. None. Never touched a frozen pizza. I don't usually buy them and don't usually venture down the frozen food aisles at all. We don't eat frozen food. I was carrying my phone on a belt holster and the camera was on the outside.

Bam! Get home, an hour later, scrolling social media and up pops some ads for frozen pizzas. Never seen them before.

I'm sure some great, highly educated, powerful 32 year old minds that have sat around a conference table "collabin'" at giant companies near and far across the US think this is some out of this world marketing genius-ness going on. Not really. It is more off-putting to me and makes me take notice and NOT purchase what's being pushed through this surveillance.

Maybe this become the next 'boycott' ....

Was watching CNBC about a year ago before my State legalized recreational marijuana. An on air personality named Alexis was talking about the Canadian pot companies. Promptly Alexa began spouting off about the marijuana laws in my state. She also lectured me and my friend in the room about the evils of marijuana. We just looked at each other and broke out laughing.

There's no Alexa or other listening devices at our home, office, etc., other than our phones.

What apps have you installed on your phone? Guarantee you it's not going on with me because I know what's installed and what's running on my phone.

I'm also not getting any ads for smoke detectors DESPITE having talked about them with my friend several times over the last week AND taking a picture of some for sale at Costco for him.

(He needs to replace the smoke detectors in his house).

This has been going on for years. We could be having a discussion at work about something, and bam! Advertisements, or YouTube video's on it. Pretty darn creepy, but it is what it is.

Co-worker liked to leave his phone on the table so we would walk by and mention some "dirty" products every time. Those advertisements got hilarious :ROFLMAO:

Interesting thread. Please allow me to share my experience with this "listening affect" as well. What my wife and I have deduced is that the Facebook app seems to be the largest contributor to the listening factor. I am not a on FB and I dont use the app on my Android phone. She does you FB and has an Apple IPhone. This is not a Apple vs Google thing, I am just saying that our experience is that FB seems to be the predominate source of our deduction of cause and affect by experience.

You can shut this stuff off in your profile and security.

Guy where I worked my last job would put tape over the cameras - I am sure there is a more elegant solution. I keep mine in a little cushioned carry sack - and I don't bring it in the store unless I need it for notes or to photo something to show a spouse or buddy.

Crazy, I have my tracking on, I just want to see what its learning. I have an android now, My Google Maps timeline is amazing. Knows what stores I parked near, everywhere I went.

What is more disturbing to me is my personal info on the web. Age, Home address, phone numbers, all my relationships, cars I registered, my house value, property taxes paid, political party affiliation, voting history .. it goes on an on and that's just the free to all stuff - not the criminal history stuff ! I naver paid to have it scrubbed. Im sure it would be re-pop'ed in no time. And I don't have anything to hide nor am I hiding.
My last job I had to keep a low social media profile so no real names, B-days or anything too exacting. But I do live in a log cabin in NH, though.

- Ken

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't believe this happens is a fool ! 😂 People say your phone only listens when you say "Hey Siri" or "Okay, Google" or do similar actions with Google Home devices and so on. Read this slowly and carefully: If they're not always listening, how do they hear you when you say "Okay, Google" ?

and I keep very few apps on my phone.
The core OS (iOS or Android) are what's listening. Apple and Google sell our "anonymous data". This is not a secret, it's disclosed. Big data has connected all of these dots out there and know who each one of us is with 99% certainty.

I don't have FB installed on my phone. "Hey Google" is also turned off on my phone.

This may be useful:

It's "location services" on your phone and "notifications". You can turn each off in your general settings (iPhone) for each installed app. Or, set it to allow only when the app is in use. Close your browser and it will close the online session, but it may leave the "latent" app active and tracking you.

No different than your car or anything else nowadays.

Anyone who doesn't believe this happens is a fool ! 😂 People say your phone only listens when you say "Hey Siri" or "Okay, Google" or do similar actions with Google Home devices and so on. Read this slowly and carefully: If they're not always listening, how do they hear you when you say "Okay, Google" ?

Nothing happens when I say "Okay, Google" to my phone, no matter how loudly I say it.

Guy where I worked my last job would put tape over the cameras
When the head of the FBI or Mark Zuckerberg cover their cameras and/or microphones, that tells me everything I need to know.

I have an android now, My Google Maps timeline is amazing. Knows what stores I parked near, everywhere I went.
I actually LOVED this when I had an Android phone. I was able to track down stores or a restaurant, etc, etc by back-tracking through my history. Since I switched to Apple, I don't have something enabled and have never dug into it to get this working again.

You can shut this stuff off in your profile and security.

Guy where I worked my last job would put tape over the cameras - I am sure there is a more elegant solution. I keep mine in a little cushioned carry sack - and I don't bring it in the store unless I need it for notes or to photo something to show a spouse or buddy.

Crazy, I have my tracking on, I just want to see what its learning. I have an android now, My Google Maps timeline is amazing. Knows what stores I parked near, everywhere I went.

What is more disturbing to me is my personal info on the web. Age, Home address, phone numbers, all my relationships, cars I registered, my house value, property taxes paid, political party affiliation, voting history .. it goes on an on and that's just the free to all stuff - not the criminal history stuff ! I naver paid to have it scrubbed. Im sure it would be re-pop'ed in no time. And I don't have anything to hide nor am I hiding.
My last job I had to keep a low social media profile so no real names, B-days or anything too exacting. But I do live in a log cabin in NH, though.

- Ken
The core OS functions cannot be turned off. Even if you disable GPS, microphone, etc. Apple for iPhones or Google for Androids will track and send back data from these sensors.

But you can disable these for any other app.

I have a faraday cage but since I'm on call 24/7 every day I can't be without a phone. Tried to go back to flip phones but the lack of email functionality was a big hindrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back